Never let the facts get in the way of a good war

  • aper_el_grand_vizier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      Andreas Ohrt,
      Presenter of the article to the newspaper Westender...
      www.curioustimes.com

      Pollsters from the University of Maryland have expressed shock at the
      level of ignorance among Americans about the war on Iraq. Their
      recent poll found that a third of Americans believe that the U.S. has
      found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and 22 percent believe
      that Iraq used chemical and biological weapons during the war. Also,
      about half of those polled believed that Iraqis were among the
      hijackers responsible for the attacks of Sept. 11. Of course, none of
      these "facts" are true. "It's a striking finding," said Steve Kull,
      director of the program on International Policy Attitudes, "given the
      intensive news coverage and high levels of public attention, this
      level of misinformation suggests some Americans may be avoiding
      having an experience of cognitive dissonance." Kull suggests that
      most Americans don't want the facts to conflict with their beliefs,
      so they simply ignore those facts which don't fit their
      preconceptions. He also noted that ignorance of the facts
      was "substantially greater among those who favoured the war."
      (Philadelphia Inquirer)

      copied from the paper...'Westender' (2 July 03) westender.com

      Aper_El
    • Dan Roper
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2003
        By now it should be clear to everyone that the Iraq military action was
        a gigantic fraud. The current US administration is led by dangerous
        idealogues who think nothing of lying and deceiving their own people to
        achieve their goals. The propaganda machines have done their job well,
        at least within the US borders. The rest of the world seems to have a
        more critical attitude.

        Iraq presented the perfect opportunity for the US to establish military
        control in the Middle East and they will make the most of it. Whether
        the US presence will help stabilize the region or lead to an increase
        in terrorist activity, remains to be seen.

        I feel sorry for all the soldiers and civilians who had to die for the
        glory of this president and his administration.

        Dan Roper

        --- In CanadianAtheist@yahoogroups.com, "aper_el_grand_vizier" <