Dilemmas & the Sally Ann

  • John Como
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001

      From: catherin
      Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 12:54 AM
      Subject: Re: [CanadianAtheist] New poll for CanadianAtheist

      >Catherin's grandmother was an atheist. She couldn't stand the likes of the Salvation Army. I feel she had some real horror stories about being hungry and having to bow and scrape.

      It's a funny thing, personal experience. My daddy, a cynic, had a few good experiences with the Salvation Army during the Depression of the dirty 30's. And some years later, I was down and out for a coupla weeks and a Sally Ann officer provided me with a full meal when I really needed it. Objectively, however, I have no use for organizations, including the Salvation Army, whose handouts include a big helping of religious crap.

      Similarly, o n my one and only visit to Venice, I encountered only money-grubbers and had a terrible time. Forty years have passed and yet I still have a hard time thinking of this great Italian city in a fair and objective manner.

      Unfortunately, a lot of our ideas and opinions are based on personal experience, an extremely unreliable teacher.

      John Como