Re: [CanadianAtheist] Re: Superman: Flying to a church near you

  • david danel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
      Dear Ernie,

      yes, it's a good story and it might be an opening. Seeing oneself, one's community, system and one's beliefs lighter, not so heavyweight seriously is, I guess, always good (does not matter whether you are a believer or an atheist). I would laugh at your comics comment also with pleasure though I consider myself being a Christian. In the Christian community (in a healthy one) there are plenty of jokes involving Jesus, God, Church, various faiths and denominational ridicules...pope, Vatican, heaven, hell...so your comment on Bible being a good comics (it is really a comics...battles between the good and evil and the in-between, miracles and other supernatural events, journeys, discoveries, adventures, love romances...etc.) is rathe a very mild and cute one. ;)

      Still, once people experience their faith, it is very hard to take it away. Many people have come to faith after a long very rational and intellectual search, others had life experiences that changed their view completely (my grandma being cured from a deadly cancer out of the blue, after what she thought was only a power of prayer), emotional or non-rational situations, feelings etc. The faith people found offered them new life, sense, balance, a defense against cynism of the atheism-driven communist systems and many other positives. Of course, I know there are also atheists who felt relieved abandoning a church or a believers camp, so I think it is quite useless to mock other fully human experience only because it differs so much from mine. What do you think, Ernie?

      I remember one heated debate from "beyond belief" debate series: Scott Atran stopping Sam Harris tirrade saying (quoting freely) "ok, that's fine. I am also an atheist, a fully convinced one, but I realize we don't have much to offer to people from whom we want to take their faith away.... what would you like to replace it with?". I think he was completely right and the history has taught us that even more evil systems creep in once you try to establish a society with no transcendent entity (Cambodia, Vietnam, Soviet Union, Hitler's Reich, whole Eastern Europe communist-atheist countries 1945-1989)...

      regards, Ernie.

      david