AA and Atheists

  • jonovision_man
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2011
      Alcoholics Anonymous delists two secular AA groups:

      http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1002750--fight-over-god-splits-toronto-aa-groups?bn=1

      Some pretty typical religious nonsense in there...

      "If you don't believe in any power greater than yourself, you are on your own."

      "You need to believe in something higher than yourself. Our self got us drunk."

      etc!

      Disgusting, IMO. These groups were separate entities that didn't change the religious bent of the others, but were at least part of the AA umbrella. I assume they will continue separately, but it will make it more difficult for athesists/agnostics/non-Christians to find help.

      jono
    • Ernie Schreiber
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2011
        The following was posted by: "jonovision_man" jonyahoo@...
        jonovision_man
        on Sat Jun 4, 2011 5:33 am (PDT)

        Alcoholics Anonymous delists two secular AA groups:

        http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1002750--fight-over-god-splits-toronto-aa-groups?bn=1

        Some pretty typical religious nonsense in there...

        "If you don't believe in any power greater than yourself, you are on your
        own."

        "You need to believe in something higher than yourself. Our self got us
        drunk."

        etc!

        Disgusting, IMO. These groups were separate entities that didn't change the
        religious bent of the others, but were at least part of the AA umbrella. I
        assume they will continue separately, but it will make it more difficult for
        athesists/agnostics/non-Christians to find help.

        jono
        --------------------
        Question from Ernie Schreiber:
        I never had any occasion to join any "cure of alcoholism" group; however, I
        am wondering what this "delisting" of secular AA groups means. From what I
        read, this will exclude the secular groups from being listed in the AA
        directory. Is that an important item? If it means that secular groups can
        no longer be contacted, that would be a reason for a law-suit for
        discrimination on the grounds of religion. But secular AA groups are,
        surely, listed somewhere. What's the situation? I know of the American
        Group ("Secular Sobriety" or something like that) but I haven't seen it
        advertised in Free Inquiry. How do they get recognized? Just asking. The AA
        groups wants to instill a feeling of powerlessness of the individual in
        overcoming an addiction which then means that a "higher power" or some "god"
        must be relied upon. That is self-defeating. Belief in one's own personal
        abilities and willpower ought to be instilled in the addict if he/she is to
        be cured.
        Regards,
        H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
        EUNACOM Secular Journal: http://eunacom.net