Obama on Secularism

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
      Wow... do we have any friends in U.S. politics?

      http://atheism.about.com/od/barackobamareligionfaith/a/ObamaSecularism.htm

      ----------------
      But what I am suggesting is this - secularists are wrong when they ask
      believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the
      public square. Frederick Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, Williams Jennings
      Bryant, Dorothy Day, Martin Luther King - indeed, the majority of
      great reformers in American history - were not only motivated by
      faith, but repeatedly used religious language to argue for their
      cause. So to say that men and women should not inject their "personal
      morality" into public policy debates is a practical absurdity. Our law
      is by definition a codification of morality, much of it grounded in
      the Judeo-Christian tradition.
      -----------------

      jono
    • Dan Roper
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
        Obama has mastered the most fundamental skill of a politician.
        The ability to speak out of both sides of his mouth.

        I also found it interesting that both Obama and Clinton denounce NAFTA in their speeches
        while sending envoys to Canada to say, never mind, it's just campaign rhetoric.

        I still like straight-talking Ron Paul best, although I disagree with him on many things.

        Dan
        -------------------------------

        --- In CanadianAtheist@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jonyahoo@...> wrote:

        > Wow... do we have any friends in U.S. politics?
        >
        > http://atheism.about.com/od/barackobamareligionfaith/a/ObamaSecularism.htm
        >
        > ----------------
        > But what I am suggesting is this - secularists are wrong when they ask
        > believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the
        > public square. Frederick Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, Williams Jennings
        > Bryant, Dorothy Day, Martin Luther King - indeed, the majority of
        > great reformers in American history - were not only motivated by
        > faith, but repeatedly used religious language to argue for their
        > cause. So to say that men and women should not inject their "personal
        > morality" into public policy debates is a practical absurdity. Our law
        > is by definition a codification of morality, much of it grounded in
        > the Judeo-Christian tradition.
        > -----------------
        >
        > jono

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
          I agree with the article, where it states that a person is not
          expected to give up their religious moral principles when they enter
          politics, to satisfy secular concerns. We do, however, see the need
          to not promote any specific religious group or ideology, as is
          insinuated by Obama's statement. It's not that great a leap once you
          realize that's how theocracies have formed governments in the Middle East.
        • Jack
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
            Agree... I think this last part was the most disturbing:

            -----------
            Our law is by definition a codification of morality, much of it
            grounded in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

            I realize he's fighting to demonstrate he's not a Muslim... his name
            rhymes with Osama, his middle name is Hussein, and there are pictures
            of him in (gasp!) a turban. In Middle America those things need to be
            overcome with a double dose of Jesus.

            I hope it's just pandering, not a reflection of what an Obama
            presidency would actually represent.

            jono