Pope warns of 'seductive' science

  • Ernie Schreiber
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      The Globe and Mail published an article in the January 28th issue, quotes
      from "Reuters."

      Unfortunately, the full text in English was not provided, so there could be
      misinterpretations and omissions that might confuse the issue.
      Nevertheless, I thought the way that Ratzinger threw science, anthropology,
      philosophy, and theology all together into one heap seemed irrational and
      counterproductive. So I decided to submit a comment which was accepted by
      the Globe. Here is my text for those who might be interested:
      Pope warns of 'seductive' science
      (Globe and Mail, Jan. 28th, 2008, from a Reuters article)

      It seems Josef Ratzinger has taken leave of his senses. The Reuters' article
      does not give the whole text in English of the Pope's musings; however, here
      we have a man with a 15th century education trying to convince a populace
      with a 21st century education that "theology" is a science. Good luck!

      In effect only science can tell where human beings came from and where, in
      all likelihood, they are going. Theology, the "science of fairy-tales" is
      only a "feel good" substitute for the still not completely discovered facts
      of life. Ratzinger only serves to widen the gap between committed believers
      in ancient superstitions and those committed to contemporary scientific
      research. The rejection of his speech at his own University attests to that.

      So, perhaps, Ratzinger can become one of the pall-bearers of Roman
      Catholicims and the "powers" of the Vatican which, by now, have been
      thoroughly corrupted.

      Regards,
      H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber, Ottawa

      H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber