Ontario PC leader John Tory backs off private faith-based school funding!

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hurray!

      http://www.thestar.com/OntarioElection/article/262276

      I'm very proud of Ontario, it was such a resounding "NO" to this in
      the court of public opinion, people immediately saw that funding
      religion with taxpayer dollars was wrong. Polls weren't even close,
      people hated this policy.

      And best of all many are now turning their attention to Catholic
      school funding, finally challenging the idea that we should be
      spending taxpayer dollars on teaching religion. So in an odd way,
      John Tory has done secularism a big favour. :)

      jono
    • Brett McKenzie
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        I'm a Green Party of Ontario Candidate. You'd be happy to know that
        the GPO advocates ending all funding for faith-based education,
        including Catholic education. You can find the relevant platform
        plank here:

        http://www.gpo.ca/node/298

        Vote Green.

        --- In CanadianAtheist@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jonyahoo@...> wrote:

        > Hurray!
        >
        > http://www.thestar.com/OntarioElection/article/262276
        >
        > I'm very proud of Ontario, it was such a resounding "NO" to this in
        > the court of public opinion, people immediately saw that funding
        > religion with taxpayer dollars was wrong. Polls weren't even
        close,
        > people hated this policy.
        >
        > And best of all many are now turning their attention to Catholic
        > school funding, finally challenging the idea that we should be
        > spending taxpayer dollars on teaching religion. So in an odd way,
        > John Tory has done secularism a big favour. :)
        >
        > jono

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          I appreciate what your party has added to this debate. Yours is the
          only party that has taken a clear stand.

          It seems to me that you either oppose state funding of religious
          schools or you don't, but neither the Liberals nor the NDP have
          addressed Catholic school funding.

          Jon

          --- In CanadianAtheist@yahoogroups.com, "Brett McKenzie"