Why Saddam Hussein had to go quickly...

  • Ernie Schreiber
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      A comment to think about:

      Eric Margolis

      Sun, December 31, 2006

      U.S. buries truth

      Saddam's execution eliminates main witness against accomplices

      By ERIC MARGOLIS

      On my first visit to Iraq in 1976, so-called "Israeli spies" were being
      hanged in front of my Baghdad hotel.

      While covering Iraq just before the 1991 Gulf War, Saddam Hussein's secret
      police threatened to hang me as an American/Israeli spy.

      I always considered "President Hussein," who was hanged Friday, a sadistic
      bully and a loathsome megalomaniac.

      No one can accuse me of sympathy for Saddam or his fellow thugs who
      terrorized Iraq. But I was thoroughly disgusted and ashamed by the kangaroo
      court created and stage-managed by the U.S. that condemned Saddam.

      It was a disgraceful farrago of Soviet-style show trial and judicial circus.
      Washington, which claimed to be bringing the fruits of democracy to the
      benighted Arab World, put on a sinister legal farce worthy of, ironically,
      Saddam's courts.

      Iraq's deposed president, whom Osama bin Laden called "the worst Arab
      despot" should have faced real justice at an international legal tribunal
      like the UN Hague Court. That would have served warning to other despots who
      violated human rights and committed aggression.

      The United States did right to hand over Serb tyrant Slobodan Milosevic to
      the Hague. But Saddam had to be silenced before he told the world about his
      long collusion with the United States. Dead men tell no tales.

      Saddam's biggest crime was not killing rebellious Kurds or Shia. As ruler of
      the unnatural, British-created Frankenstein state Iraq, Saddam was forced to
      keep putting down rebellions.

      Saintly Winston Churchill authorized the RAF to bomb Iraq's rebellious
      Kurdish tribesmen with poison gas -- exactly as Saddam later did. Saddam's
      most brutal repression of Kurds and Shia occurred when they revolted during
      Iraq's wars with Iran and the U.S.

      Saddam should have faced trial for his unprovoked 1980 aggression against
      Iran that ended up causing one million dead and wounded.

      But in this crime, Saddam was covertly backed by his principal accomplices,
      the U.S. and Britain. Donald Rumsfeld even went to Baghdad to offer Saddam
      arms, finance and intelligence. Hanging Saddam eliminated the main witness.

      Saddam was helped into power by the CIA, which stood by while he slaughtered
      Iraqi communists and Nasserites.

      The U.S. and Britain, as I discovered in Baghdad in 1990, supplied Saddam
      with poison gas and germs to make battlefield weapons (these were not
      "weapons of mass destruction." The germs were never successfully
      weaponized).

      So long as Saddam was killing and torturing people America and Britain did
      not like, he was "our SOB."

      But when Saddam grew too big for his britches and invaded Kuwait, he went
      from being the West's regional bullyboy to devil No. 1.

      Once he touched the West's oil in Kuwait, he was marked for death.

      Some of the tame U.S. media have been spinning Saddam's execution as a
      justification for the Bush/Cheney administration's unprovoked invasion of
      Iraq, without ever asking why Saddam was an ally in 1988 yet a devil in 1991
      and again in 2003.

      Nor has there been much reporting that under Saddam, Iraq became the Arab
      world's most industrialized nation, a leader in women's rights, medical
      care, education, and public projects.

      Back in 2003, I predicted that once the U.S. got rid of old pal Saddam, it
      would look for another Saddam-clone to replace him. The mutant state of Iraq
      and its feuding peoples can only be ruled by an iron fist. Saddam's greatest
      error was believing he had frightened Iraqis into a national unity that
      would support invasions of his neighbours. He was dead wrong.

      There are plenty of other brutal regimes that rival Saddam's Iraq for
      nastiness. Most are close U.S. allies. As Henry Kissinger once quipped,
      being America's ally is far more dangerous than being its enemy.

      After jubilation among Shia and Kurds over Saddam's execution subsides, Iraq
      will return to its daily bloody chaos. Saddam called himself a martyr. In
      years to come, many Arabs will forget his many crimes and remember him as a
      flawed hero and martyr who dared challenge the United States and Israel, and
      paid the price for his audacity.

      The above text was posted by Netscape.com and was written by a well-known
      journalist.

      H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
      EUNACOM Secular Journal: http://eunacom.net
      Discussion List Server at: <eunacom@yahoogroups.com>