Hitler was no atheist without a doubt

  • Ernie Schreiber
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      On Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:56 am (PDT), "Andy" monist@... wrote:

      Subject: Re: Hitler Was a Christian

      On Tue, 30 May 2006 08:03:07 -0400, Gail wrote:

      >There are so many logical fallacies in Milke's arguments that I suspect he
      >is writing from blind faith!! No sense or is it Non sense to argue with
      >blind faith!

      Yes, I've had four-way sprinklers that had a better grasp of the situation than
      this guy. And he does taxes? Holy Cow!!

      Surely he must realize that religionists who base their moral standards on the
      bible must still set those standards via preference. If they followed the
      bible's edicts word for word we would still be living in the Dark Ages.
      Cheers
      Andy
      -------------------------------------
      Comment from Ernie:
      It is amazing how willingly some people display their ignorance of historical facts when it would be easy for them to read up on historical data, and use them, too.

      An atheist is one who denies the existence of any God; he is "not" a "theist." Hitler was a theist. His theism was compatible with the deism of some of the framers of the US constitution. Although he never regularly attended Roman Catholic church services and never had a "personal pastor" looking after his "soul," he was nevertheless not excommunicated from the Roman Catholic church and maintained reasonably good relations with the Vatican and Pope Pius XI. He was perhaps an egomaniac but he saw himself as a liberator sent by God, and doing God's work on earth (much similar to most leading clerics); that is NOT the sign of an atheist.

      An article by Erwin Peterseil in the most recent issue of "freidenkerIn" (a publication of the Austrian Freethinkers Association in Vienna) under the heading: "Gottgläubig" (Godbelieving, or Deism) refers to some historical facts. I have asked "freidenkerIn" for permission to republish parts of this article in the Eunacom Secular Journal, but I will have to make the translation into English myself (which will take some time). Provided I get the permission, you can read the salient points of the article yourself. The article was of particular interest to me as I grew up in Nürnberg during that time and had some classmates who registered their religious affiliation as "Gottgläubig."

      Let me just quote a passage from the article in part (translated on the fly):

      >>In August 1943 Hitler was presented with a committee report which outlined roughly the schema of an NS-Religion. Hitler hand-wrote on it, in the margins, "this is a first, useful draft!"

      It read: "Immediate and unconditional abolition of all religious creeds after the final victory, not only in the German Reich but also in all liberated, occupied, and annexed countries ... in parallel with the proclamation of Adolf Hitler as the new Messiah." For political considerations, Islam, Buddhism, and Shintoism was to be exempt for the moment. "The Führer is to be presented as a medium between savior and liberator--in any case as a messenger from God who is deserving of godly honors. .....>>

      This could be construed as being directed against God and, therefore atheistic, but in fact Hitler actually believed himself to be God's instrument to fulfill His will on earth, and he said so in several speeches. He also outlawed all atheistic and freethought organizations. Those who did not immediately disband and carried on "underground" were threatened with being put in concentration camps. Is that what an atheist would do? I think not.

      Regards,
      H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
      EUNACOM Secular Journal: http://eunacom.net
      Discussion List Server at: <eunacom@yahoogroups.com>

    • Dr. Newton Joseph
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        WHO DISCOVERED MORALITY?

        By New 10.

        I have heard "that without God there can be no morality" a zillion times.
        Where does our morality come from? Morality comes from the time when hunters
        and gatherers gave up there nomadic life style to live in permanent
        dwelling. Then they planted seeds and domesticated animals. In order for
        them to live peacefully together, they thought up the precursor of the Ten
        Commandments and the Golden rule. You don't steal my food and I don't steal
        your food, you don't kill me and I will not kill you, you don't take my mate
        and I won't takes your. One does not have to be a genius to figure this
        out.\

        www.atheistfellowship.com