To the Cowards of Borders & Waldenbooks

  • David Kristján Simpson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Cowards of Borders & Waldenbooks:

      Since you will not be carrying the latest issue of 'Free Inquiry' magazine: sight unseen even... And you give out drivel about valuing our precious First Amendment to boot, I will never shop at you stores again!

      It's too bad since I've shopped at them for about twenty years now and the Ann Arbor store was a favorite of mine. I've spent countless hundreds of dollars at your stores, but others will be glad to take what would have been your cash I'm sure. Those who are real Americans: Not fake ones.

      Stop any and all correspondence with me immediately unless you change this horribly un-American policy and apologize.

      Why should I associate with bigots and cowards? Real Americans express what they want.

      David Kristján Simpson

      *----------------------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2006/03/29/nation
      al/a163611S00.DTL
      Wednesday, March 29, 2006 (AP)
      Borders, Waldenbooks Won't Carry Magazine
      By CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

      (03-29) 16:36 PST Buffalo, N.Y. (AP) --

      Borders and Waldenbooks stores will not stock the April-May issue of Free
      Inquiry magazine because it contains cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that
      provoked deadly protests among Muslims in several countries.

      "For us, the safety and security of our customers and employees is a top
      priority, and we believe that carrying this issue could challenge that
      priority," Borders Group Inc. spokeswoman Beth Bingham said Wednesday.

      The magazine, published by the Council for Secular Humanism in suburban
      Amherst, includes four of the drawings that originally appeared in a
      Danish newspaper in September, including one depicting Muhammad wearing a
      bomb-shaped turban with a lit fuse.

      Islamic tradition bars depiction of Muhammad to prevent idol worship,
      which is strictly prohibited.

      "What is at stake is the precious right of freedom of expression," said
      Paul Kurtz, editor-in-chief of Free Inquiry. "Cartoons often provide an
      important form of political satire ... To refuse to distribute a
      publication because of fear of vigilante violence is to undermine freedom
      of press — so vital for our democracy."

      Bingham said the decision was made before the magazine arrived at the
      company's stores. Borders Group, based in Ann Arbor, Mich., operates more
      than 475 Borders and 650 Waldenbooks stores in the United States, though
      not all regularly carry the magazine.

      "We absolutely respect our customers' right to choose what they wish to
      read and buy and we support the First Amendment," Bingham said. "And we
      absolutely support the rights of Free Inquiry to publish the cartoons.
      We've just chosen not to carry this particular issue in our stores."

      The cartoons, which were reprinted in European and American papers in
      January and February, sparked a wave of protests around the Islamic world.
      Protesters were killed in some of the most violent demonstrations and
      several European embassies were attacked.

      ___
      www.freeinquiry.net
      www.bordersgroupinc.com

      Copyright 2006 AP

      "I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."
      -- Edith Sitwell (1887 - 1964) English poet