A miracle has happened in Toronto!

  • H. E. [Ernie] Schreiber
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2005
      The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
      Thursday, August 4th, 2005

      Jon took exception to the various newscasts covering the Air France flight
      368 crash in Toronto. He showed cuts from all the news reports where every
      reporter referred to the event as "a miracle" (or the "miracle near the
      highway") because all passengers and crew escaped alive. Jon referred to
      the definition of "miracle" which is an event for which there is no natural
      explanation. To call human action designed to prevent or mitigate disaster
      "a miracle" is bull-shit, said Jon.

      If lightning struck the plane, it would be called "an act of God." Clearly
      then, God wanted the people in the plane to die; human beings interfered
      with that. So, for the lives saved, human beings deserve the credit, not
      God. It would have been a miracle if all passengers and crew had indeed
      died and, three days later, were resurrected. Or if the flames from the
      plane wreck had burned for eight days...

      Seems to me what Jon Stewart said makes good sense. Unfortunately, much of
      the general population is incapable of thinking in rational terms. The
      religious "God phantasy" has to make up for every lucky circumstance, and
      where something results in "unlucky" disaster, it is still an "act of God"
      with a heavenly purpose which we poor human beings just cannot understand.
      What can one say to that? Bull-shit, of course.

      Regards,

      H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
      EUNACOM Secular Journal: http//eunacom.net
      Discussion List Server at <eunacom@yahoogroups.com>
    • Ann Stewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2005
        It's always irritated me that insurance companies don't cover damage caused by "an act of God". (And does this mean they do cover damage caused by an act of "the Devil"?) And while we're on that subject, wouldn't it have made more sense for the inventors of God to give him credit for all the good things and blame all the bad things on the Devil? It's not like God is all-powerful and can overcome acts of the Devil, e.g. the murders of a serial killer. They call serial killers evil, implying that they're possessed by the Devil, meaning God wasn't able to stop the Devil from making the poor guy carry out his evil designs.

        Ann