Teaching Religion

  • H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      On February 28, 2005 the German magazine "Der Spiegel" ("On Line" issue)
      published a survey that indicated the following (excerpted and translated
      into English by Eunacom):

      48% of Germans would have religious instructions eliminated from German
      schools in favor of increased studies in German Language and Mathematics.
      This was published by the "European Pedagogical Research Center" of the
      University of Koblenz-Landau in their "educational barometer." 1000
      selected persons from the community were asked for their opinions.

      Interesting. What would American fundamentalist Christians say to that?

      Regards,

      H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
      EUNACOM Secular Journal: http://eunacom.net
      Discussion List Server at: <eunacom@yahoogroups.com>
    • Dan Roper
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
        They would say: "God won with 52%".
        Now shut up and read your bybull.

        Dan
        ------------------------

        --- In CanadianAtheist@yahoogroups.com, "H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber"
        <eunacom@s...> wrote:
        > On February 28, 2005 the German magazine "Der Spiegel" ("On Line"
        issue)
        > published a survey that indicated the following (excerpted and
        translated
        > into English by Eunacom):
        >
        > 48% of Germans would have religious instructions eliminated from German
        > schools in favor of increased studies in German Language and
        Mathematics.
        > This was published by the "European Pedagogical Research Center" of the
        > University of Koblenz-Landau in their "educational barometer." 1000
        > selected persons from the community were asked for their opinions.
        >
        > Interesting. What would American fundamentalist Christians say to that?
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
        > EUNACOM Secular Journal: http://eunacom.net
        > Discussion List Server at: <eunacom@yahoogroups.com>
      • JF
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2005
          We have had a similar poll here in Québec. Here's my translation of
          the French CBC articla.

          At a time when Prime Minister Jean Charest is about to position
          himself on the renewal of clauses used to bypass the Charters of
          rights and freedoms, to allow the teaching of religions in schools, a
          recent poll obtained by Le Devoir sheds some light on the debate.
          According to an investigation made by Leger Marketing, 76% of
          Quebecers surveyed think that schools should not provide a religious
          education, such as what is allowed right now in spite of the secular
          structures of schools. 59% of respondants would prefer a cultural
          teaching on the diversity of religions worldwide, while keeping in
          mind the traditions that have characterized Quebec. 17% even oppose to
          religion being thought in schools altogether. Only 22% of them
          advocate the status quo and want schools to offer either a Catholic or
          protestant education. The poll was paid for by a coalition, comprised
          of about 50 groups stemming from the educational sector and unions,
          advocating the secularization of the school system ever since bill 118
          was adopted in 2000. Only those clauses allow the government to bypass
          the principle of equality prescribed by both the Quebec and the
          Canadian charters or rights and freedoms. Both charters forbid
          discrimination based on religion. The poll was made from Febuary 9
          thru 13 with a margin of error of about 3,4% 19 times out of 20.