Headscarves

  • Dan Roper
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      I wonder what the groups opinions are about
      this controversial 'Headscarf' law which
      has just been passed in France.

      Personally I approve since the law seems to
      promote equality rather than segregation.

      But I certainly would not want to get
      killed over it by some religious fanatic.

      Dan
    • H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
        On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:01:39 -0000, "Dan Roper" <dicoll@...> wrote:

        >I wonder what the groups opinions are about
        >this controversial 'Headscarf' law which
        >has just been passed in France.
        >
        >Personally I approve since the law seems to
        >promote equality rather than segregation.
        >
        >But I certainly would not want to get
        >killed over it by some religious fanatic.
        >
        >Dan

        France is officially a secular state. They suffered tremendous fights and
        bloodlettings about disagreements based on religion in their history where
        thousands of people were slaughtered. So, they have first hand experience
        in what harm religion can do to a country and its people. I suppose nobody
        wants to get killed by some religious fanatic, but there is no escaping
        religious fanaticism anyway (see Iraq, Russia, and 9/11). By giving in to
        demands from certain religious groups one only raises expectations by those
        fanatics that they can eventually rule the country.

        In my opinion, the ban to wear religious garb or emblems in public places
        is the correct thing to do (see the example of Kamal Ataturk in Turkey's
        history). I wish we could have a similar law right here in all of North
        America.

        Regards,

        H. E. (Ernie) Schreiber
        EUNACOM Secular Journal: http://eunacom.net