Do Non-Believers have rights in Canada?

  • dicoll@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16 6:26 PM
      I have kept quiet about this for some time. However, the incessant
      repetition of making nice with all Canadians, of all religions, colours
      and creeds, by our Prime Minister, has once again reminded me of an
      exclusionary and offensive section in our Constitution Act.

      According to Statistics Canada 1991, over 3.3 Million Canadians (12.5%)
      declared themselves as *without religious affiliation*. But our
      Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms blatantly declares in its
      preamble that Canada is founded on principles that recognize the
      supremacy of (a) god.

      This pernicious, seemingly innocent addition to the Constitution Act,
      effectively removes any non-believer from the protection of the rights
      and freedoms guaranteed to all other Canadians. So when the Prime
      Minister goes on and on about the virtues of Canada, I always feel a
      little left out, for I belong to the only religiously identifiable
      group which is officially discriminated against in our own
      constitution.

      Sure, you may say that I am paranoid and that no one will ever think of
      persecuting me for my ideas. Given the most recent developments in the
      world..... think again.