william campbell

  • jane.mentiplay
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2013
      Hello,
      I am new to the group and am trying to trace my families line.This originated with my grandmother Rita Mentiplay who was born Henrietta Hillsley Campbell from Findochty.I have traced right back to William Campbell/Helen Prott but need some clarification as to dates etc,also who were his parents etc.Can anybody help????????

      Regards

      jane
    • It's Maggie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2013
        I descend from William Campbell/Helen Prott through their son John Campbell who married Janet Garden.  I was born at Rathven which is just a mile or so from Finechty.  What dates are you looking for?  Do you mean to do with your grandparents or further back?  William Campbell was born approx 1730, same as Helen Prott.  They married 22 April 1751 at Rathven.  Helen's parents were James Flett and Jean Prott.  I have nothing further on William yet although I have heaps of papers which may contain something.

        I am in Queensland.  Where are you?  Let me know if this is what you need.

        Cheers,

        Margaret Otto

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2013

          Hi Margaret

          Are you talking about this line going from:

          Henrietta born 1902

          Her parents were James Campbell &  Maria Smith.

          His parents were William Campbell & Margaret Garden. (William also married Margaret Flett and had 2 children). John Campbell b 1827 was Williams brother.

          His parents were Alexander Campbell & Helen Flett.

          Are you saying that this Alexander was the son of William Campbell & Helen Prott??????

          Regards

          Peter Campbell

          West Aust

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
            Hi everyone, Another Newbie here :)
            I was wondering if anyone has any information and/or decends from James Campbell 1760-1860 Who travelled with wife Adelaide to Australia on the Hibernia..
            After their arrival we all come from Tasmania...ive seen a few tasmanian links on other posts and wonder if there is another link :)
            Cheers and good luck to everyone on their family searching it is exciting :)
            Lauren ( Melbourne)
          • cactuszam
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2013
              Hi everyone, I have just jointed the group.

              I saw the post from Lauren about James Campbell and Adelaide Van Sek.  I am descended from their daughter Harriett who married James Lancaster.  A lot of the information I have came from Ailsa Herbert who has done a great deal of research on the family.

              This is a summary of what I have on this couple and their family:

              James, an ex soldier and weaver, his wife Adelaide, who was heavily pregnant with Robert, and their children James 9, Mary Ann 12, Eliza 8 and Thomas 5 boarded the Hibernia in Liverpool on 27 November, 1832. The Hibernia sank in the North Atlantic.  The Campbell family were taken on board the 20 ft pinnace with 15 others and drifted for eight days.  They were eventually picked up by the Isabella and taken to Rio de Janiero and then on the Hobart. On the journey Adelaide gave birth to Robert.

              On arrival in Hobart Adelaide and James were unwell - Adelaide tried to set up a dressmaker business, but it did not appear to succeed as soon all the children except Robert were placed in the orphan schools for four years despite Adelaide and James' attempts to get them back. James and Harriet moved to Launceston during those four years and James was a constable.  Harriet was born in 1835.

              Adelaide died in 1857 from influenza and James in 1860.  From an article in the paper, it appears James may have been homeless just before he died.

              According to Ailsa, Adelaide had all the children to various fathers – the last two, Robert and Harriet, to James Campbell. Adelaide Vansek [various spellings] Campbell was born, possibly in England, to a military family. She had one brother who was christened in England. She married, at 17, Lieutenant William O’Brien who was killed in Ireland. She then married William Connor in Ireland who also died. Adelaide has been traced through her applications to Dublin Castle for the military pension to various parts of England including Bath. Three children are mentioned in the applications. James Campbell was Scottish and also in the Army. He was a pensioner when they migrated.

              Hope this helps, Natalie

              --- In campbellsaustralia@yahoogroups.com, <lozzy384@...> wrote:

              Hi everyone, Another Newbie here :)
              I was wondering if anyone has any information and/or decends from James Campbell 1760-1860 Who travelled with wife Adelaide to Australia on the Hibernia..
              After their arrival we all come from Tasmania...ive seen a few tasmanian links on other posts and wonder if there is another link :)
              Cheers and good luck to everyone on their family searching it is exciting :)
              Lauren ( Melbourne)
            • lauren hart
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013
                HI Natalie!!
                Thank you so much for your email I can not thank you enough,
                Im so excited to read this..
                This is how I see my line:
                James and Adelaide Campbell
                Harriet Campbell/ James Lancaster
                Henry James Lancaster/ Clara Lancaster (nee wells)
                Albert and Pearl Lancaster (my great grandparents)
                Yvonne Lancaster/ Laurence Hill ( my grandparents)
                Debbie Hart (nee Hill my mother)
                Then me  Lauren Hart
                I would love to talk more with you if you have the time
                What is your connection?

                Kind regards
                Lauren