Re: [CampbellsAustralia] Re: Campbells in Victoria

  • Gweneth Myers
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
      Hello Margaret,
      You are quite correct - I mispelt Jappy, and also should be GARDEN not Gardener. And  I left off REID (gg grandma) to the surname list.  I have been to Findochty and it really is a beautiful place.  My Scottish cousin I was meeting in Aberdeen emailed me said he couldn't wait until he heard how I pronounced Findochty. At a building down near the harbour wall there was a sign referring to Fineckie.  We called into Elgin on the way to my cousin and got the lovely young lady in the Heritage Office at Elgin Castle to teach me how to say it. Bit of Aussie ingenuity!  I also photographed every headstone in the Findochty cemetery that had anything with Campbell and the other surnames associated with the family, on them. Of course poor folk didn't always have headstones.  Upon return to Australia I discovered I should have visited a few other cemeteries in the area for the Campbells.
      I have Alexander Campbell married Ann Reid in 1824.  They had 8 children including twins.  Ann died shortly after Helen was born in 1842.  Alexander married a widow in 1848.  She was Janet Garden, widow of William Thain. Alexander and Janet had 2 children together, Janet and Joseph Campbell. One of the 8 children was Ann Campbell who came out to Australia, and I am trying to work out a link to an Edward Campbell with the family as he was called an Uncle (born in Scotland) but not one of Ann's brothers.
      Ann Reid's parents were Alexander Reid and Lillias Ross.  Have several generations back  on the Campbell line.

      Cheers
      Gwen

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013

        Hello Gwen

        My G father’s parents were James Campbell (1852-      ), & Maria Smith (1856-       ).

        James parents were William Campbell (1817-1902) & Margaret Garden(1819-1863), then married Margaret Flett (1823-1925)

        We live in WA, which is why we have lost knowledge of the family, but we are in Melbourne NOW for 2 more days as we have been chasing our family tree.

        We would like to hear from you about any info you may know about the family here in Vic.

        I have a lot of info about them in Findochty.

        Regards

        Peter & Lydia Campbell

        My Campbells came from Findochty so it is possible you are connected to our family further back. Our Ann Campbell was born in Findochty in 1833 and married a Peter McKENZIE in Peterhead. She came to Australia in 1861. Your grandfather would be a generation after hers. Her people were white fishers. There are a lot of Williams and Alexanders in her family including her brothers. Other names married into this line are FLETT, THAIN, SUTHERLAND, SMITH, GARDENER, GAPPY. Do you know your grandfather's parents' names?
        Cheers
        Gwen Myers
        Melbourne
        And a new member of the group.

        --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Campbell" wrote:

        > Hello to the forum
        >
        > We are hoping that we may be able to get some help through the forum about
        > our family history.
        >
        > My grandfather was William Campbell (b 1881) in Findochty Banffshire
        > Scotland.
        >
        > His parents and siblings also came out to Victoria in 1917. William had come
        > out several years before as he married my grandmother Myrtle Thorburn in
        > 1915.
        >
        > They must have been living in Paynesville Victoria going by records and a
        > letter that we have.
        >
        > The only one we do know about was William's youngest sister, Henrietta
        > Hillsley Campbell (b 1902) who had married Thomas Mentiplay and died in
        > 1992. This Thomas we see was born in Paynesville.
        >
        > William's brother Alexander (b 1887) drowned at see as Master of a ship
        > coming to Australia.
        >

        > It looked like there is a good chance that at least most of the family came
        > here.
        >

        > The family comprised:
        >
        > James (b 1852)
        >
        > Maria
        >
        > Isabella (Bella) (b 1898)
        >
        > Henrietta (Rita) (b 1902)
        >
        > John (b 1894)
        >
        > James (b 1885)
        >
        > Maria (b 1883) and Her son William Downie Smith (b 1912)(she
        > was widowed)
        >
        > William (b 1881)
        >
        > Jane (b 1878)
        >
        > Ann (b 1876)
        >

        > We would be most appreciative of any information about them.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Peter Campbell
        >
        > West Australia

      • Peter Campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013

          Hello Margaret

          That is great that your tree can be traced back that far.

          It looks like the Flett, Smith and Campbells  were indeed mixed up well together!!!

          We don’t at the moment have any certain knowledge of anyone earlier than mid 1700’s???

          Any info you had would be appreciated.

          Regards

          Peter Campbell