Campbells from County Armagh

  • newyork10801
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2013
      My great grandfather, George Campbell, emigrated to Troy NY from Ireland. He was born in Columkille, Derrylard, Loughgall RC Parish, County Armagh in 1846. His parents were George Campbell and Mary Fox (Todd). His siblings were: Jane, Francis, Suzanne John and Sarah.

      About 5 years ago, I was contacted by someone who lives in Australia about one of George's sisters (either Suzanne or Sarah) and how she emigrated to Australia. We compared notes and felt they were from the same family.

      My father was born and raised in George Campbell's home in Troy. He told me his grandfather was born in Australia. My babybook has him born there also. But in recently years, I have found definite proof of his County Armagh birthplace.

      However, I am thinking he first went to Australia with his sister before going to New York. I have two questions. First, I lost contact with the lady who contacted me and hope she is on this list. Secondly, any suggestions on how to search if my George ever went to Australia? He was in NY for the 1870 census.

      Thanks in advance,
      Pat