Re: Archibald Campbell (1835-1885)

  • Gillian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2011
      Do you have his death certificate? The first place to start!
      His death is listed on the Vic Pioneer Index:
      Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888
      Campbell Archibald Father: Dougald Mother: Isabella MCKELLAR
      Age: 50 Death Place: STAWELL Year: 1885 Reg Number: 10456
      The death cert. should have 'the number of years in the colony/Victoria" on it to help with the date of arrival. The certificate can be obtained on line or by mail from https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Family+history?OpenDocument&1=60-Family+history~&2=~&3=~
      for about $18.
      This site would also provide the certificate for their marriage in Dunolly, Victoria "Campbell/McCulloch 1858, reg. no 2464". This should give you the actual date of their marriage.
      I also found this - a rellie for you:
      "Hi Barbara,My wife (Patricia) is a Campbell descendant of a the Pleasant Creek Campbell mob.Dugald Campbell (he from Argyl?) married Isabell McKellar (she from North Knapdale Argyll) on the 26th Jan 1824 at Kilcalmonell/Kilberry and they had at least one son,Archibald born Glasgow 1835.Archibald married Margaret McCulloch of County Armagh Ireland on the 9th Feb 1858 at Dunolly,Victoria.They had ten children one of which was a RONALD born 24th Jan 1859 at Cays Diggings and died 20th Aug 1917 at 8 Austin Avenue St.Kilda.He married one Hephzibar Selina Cole on the 25th Aug 1881 at Bethanga.They had 8 children.One of whom was Ronald Henry born 1884 but where I am not sure at this stage.Nor am I sure when and where he died.There may not be a connection as the mothers names dont gel but perhaps there well may be.Regards,Bob Couzens
      This was on http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DPS-CHAT/2002-10/1035885419

      On Vic Pioneer, these are possible Archibald Campbells arriving in Victoria before 1889:
      CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD ship: EL DORADO Month: NOV,1852 Age: 20
      CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD Ship: ABROTA Month: NOV, 1852, Age: 30
      cAMPBELL ARCHIBALD Ship: ABROTA Month: NOV, 1852 Age: 22
      CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD Ship: GIPSY BRIDE Month: FEB, 1855 Age: 26

      For further back, try Scotlands People on line.
      best wishes, Gillian
    • makrhod
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2011
        Thank you, Gillian - you have been very busy on my behalf!

        Yes I have made contact with Mr Couzens, and we have exchanged our Campbell information, which has certainly helped with recent generations, but not with earlier ones.

        It is certainly a good suggestion to buy death (and other) certificates, but at this stage I am still trying to find out as much as I can for free, although I have ordered a book from the Stawell Historical Society and I have a list of useful certificates I can purchase when I run out of other leads. :-)

        The PROV guide, Wills & Probate, and Newspaper Archives have been incredibly useful, but unfortunately no help with these questions, so I may have to start using my purse and not just my laptop LOL.

        Many thanks again for your generous assistance - very kind. :-)

        Amanda