Archibald Campbell (1835-1885)

  • makrhod
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2011
      My first question: Does anyone have any details about the parents of this man, who is my great-great-grandfather? Also when he arrived in Australia?

      Here's what I know so far:
      Archibald was born near Glasgow, Scotland, in 1835 (exact date and location unknown)
      Died in Stawell, Victoria, Australia on 15 Aug 1885.

      Father - Dugald Campbell, born day? month? 1805 in North Knapdale, Argyll, Scotland. Date and place of death unknown. Married on 26 Jan 1824 to
      Mother - Isabella McKellar, born 25 Sep 1805 in North Knapdale. Date and location of death unknown.

      Archibald's immigration details unknown.

      Occupation: baker

      Married Margaret McCulloch (or McCullough) in 1858 (date and location unknown)

      I have the basic details of Margaret and their children, but I would love to know more about my g-g-grandfather himself, if anyone can fill in some gaps. Many thanks. :-)

      Amanda
    • Gillian
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2011
        Do you have his death certificate? The first place to start!
        His death is listed on the Vic Pioneer Index:
        Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888
        Campbell Archibald Father: Dougald Mother: Isabella MCKELLAR
        Age: 50 Death Place: STAWELL Year: 1885 Reg Number: 10456
        The death cert. should have 'the number of years in the colony/Victoria" on it to help with the date of arrival. The certificate can be obtained on line or by mail from https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Family+history?OpenDocument&1=60-Family+history~&2=~&3=~
        for about $18.
        This site would also provide the certificate for their marriage in Dunolly, Victoria "Campbell/McCulloch 1858, reg. no 2464". This should give you the actual date of their marriage.
        I also found this - a rellie for you:
        "Hi Barbara,My wife (Patricia) is a Campbell descendant of a the Pleasant Creek Campbell mob.Dugald Campbell (he from Argyl?) married Isabell McKellar (she from North Knapdale Argyll) on the 26th Jan 1824 at Kilcalmonell/Kilberry and they had at least one son,Archibald born Glasgow 1835.Archibald married Margaret McCulloch of County Armagh Ireland on the 9th Feb 1858 at Dunolly,Victoria.They had ten children one of which was a RONALD born 24th Jan 1859 at Cays Diggings and died 20th Aug 1917 at 8 Austin Avenue St.Kilda.He married one Hephzibar Selina Cole on the 25th Aug 1881 at Bethanga.They had 8 children.One of whom was Ronald Henry born 1884 but where I am not sure at this stage.Nor am I sure when and where he died.There may not be a connection as the mothers names dont gel but perhaps there well may be.Regards,Bob Couzens
        This was on http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DPS-CHAT/2002-10/1035885419

        On Vic Pioneer, these are possible Archibald Campbells arriving in Victoria before 1889:
        CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD ship: EL DORADO Month: NOV,1852 Age: 20
        CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD Ship: ABROTA Month: NOV, 1852, Age: 30
        cAMPBELL ARCHIBALD Ship: ABROTA Month: NOV, 1852 Age: 22
        CAMPBELL ARCHIBALD Ship: GIPSY BRIDE Month: FEB, 1855 Age: 26

        For further back, try Scotlands People on line.
        best wishes, Gillian
      • makrhod
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2011
          Thank you, Gillian - you have been very busy on my behalf!

          Yes I have made contact with Mr Couzens, and we have exchanged our Campbell information, which has certainly helped with recent generations, but not with earlier ones.

          It is certainly a good suggestion to buy death (and other) certificates, but at this stage I am still trying to find out as much as I can for free, although I have ordered a book from the Stawell Historical Society and I have a list of useful certificates I can purchase when I run out of other leads. :-)

          The PROV guide, Wills & Probate, and Newspaper Archives have been incredibly useful, but unfortunately no help with these questions, so I may have to start using my purse and not just my laptop LOL.

          Many thanks again for your generous assistance - very kind. :-)

          Amanda