Re: Research interests and offer of information

  • Gillian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2011
      We don't seem to be a very chatty group Amanda, but there are quite a few members with a lot of knowledge about their own branch of the Campbells. It is not an easy name to research due to the families' practice of using the same names for their children, and many Campbell families os similar forename and dates of birth in the same area. I have often wondered how many children named Donald Campbell and Mary Ann Campbell there have been born over the centuries.

      From what area in Scotland did your Campbells migrate and when did they arrive in Australia (do you know the ship and year?) It might help us connect with the Campbell families in our own lines.

      Best wishes, Gillian
      South Australia (but ex-Victorian)
    • makrhod
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2011
        Hello Gillian, and thank you for your prompt reassurance!

        "My" Campbells apparently come from a farming family near Glasgow. The earliest names I have are Dugald Campbell (born about 1805) and his wife Isabella nee McKellar (born September 1805 in North Knapdale, Argyll). They married on 26 Jan 1824, but that's all the info I have on them.

        Two of their sons, Archibald and Ronald (see my post above) came to Victoria in about 1850, but I don't know if they were on the same ship. Ronald became the first Mayor of Stawell, and Archibald settled near Pleasant Creek where he and his wife Margaret (nee McCullough) had some of their many children. He's my great-great-grandfather, and died in 1885.

        I hope that helps to identify which of the many Campbell families I belong to. :-)

        Cheers
        Amanda