John and Elizabeth Campbell from Louth, Ireland

  • mvhlc
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008
      Hello everyone. I am wondering if anyone else has any information
      about John and Elizabeth Campbell who married in 1854 in Dunleer,
      Louth, Ireland and subsequently came to Victoria. They had many
      children, and lived around the Mortlake, Camperdown, Colac area. I
      believe someone in this group was researching this couple back in 2002
      by the name of Bernadette Hanisch.
    • Don Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008

        Hello mvhlc [you didn’t leave a name?]

        A fair while ago I visited a little place [which in it’s time was a big place] called Ondit, via a turn-off a couple of Km’s on  the Melbourne side of Colac, whilst I was generally seeking other family names apart from my Campbell forebears I did come across the following names which I haven’t really researched to link into my Campbell line at Inverleigh, another pretty place outside of Geelong:

        Visit to Inverleigh Cemetery September 22 2002-09-23

        Presbyterian section

        Two burials in one plot - [Sandstone Monument]

        Sacred to the memory of Hugh Campbell native of Fort William, late of Glasgow Scotland.  Died 6th April 1865 aged 64 years.

        [Black Marble Monument]

        In memory of Margaret, relict of the late Hugh Campbell died at Inverleigh Jan 9 1897 aged 84, erected by her nephew & niece D & M Stewart.

        In memory of Robert Campbell who died: 11 Oct 1921 aged 75 years and his wife Ellen who died 24 May 1922 aged 60 years.

        Alexander Campbell of Fort William, late of Glasgow died 25th November 1888 aged 83 years (3 further lines were indecipherable) last line had Robert A Campbell.

        Who knows, there are times that even a scant piece of information may provide a link? I’m also presuming that your Campbell’s, although out of Co Louth in Southern Ireland would have been practicing Presbyterians and obviously from SCT at some stage.

        Best Wishes

        Don Johnston in Melbourne

        <Snip>

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2008
          Hello Don,
          Thanks for your prompt reply. My husband's Campbells were definitely
          Roman Catholic, so probably no connection to the ones you
          discovered. But thank you anyway - your information may provide a
          link for someone else.
          Regards,
          mvhlc

          --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Don Johnston"
          <petenv@...> wrote:

          > Hello mvhlc [you didn't leave a name?]
          >

          > A fair while ago I visited a little place [which in it's time was a
          big
          > place] called Ondit, via a turn-off a couple of Km's on the
          Melbourne side
          > of Colac, whilst I was generally seeking other family names apart
          from my
          > Campbell forebears I did come across the following names which I
          haven't
          > really researched to link into my Campbell line at Inverleigh,
          another
          > pretty place outside of Geelong:
          >

          > Visit to Inverleigh Cemetery September 22 2002-09-23
          >
          > Presbyterian section
          >
          > Two burials in one plot - [Sandstone Monument]
          >
          > Sacred to the memory of Hugh Campbell native of Fort William, late
          of
          > Glasgow Scotland. Died 6th April 1865 aged 64 years.
          >

          > [Black Marble Monument]
          >
          > In memory of Margaret, relict of the late Hugh Campbell died at
          Inverleigh
          > Jan 9 1897 aged 84, erected by her nephew & niece D & M Stewart.
          >

          > In memory of Robert Campbell who died: 11 Oct 1921 aged 75 years
          and his
          > wife Ellen who died 24 May 1922 aged 60 years.
          >

          > Alexander Campbell of Fort William, late of Glasgow died 25th
          November 1888
          > aged 83 years (3 further lines were indecipherable) last line had
          Robert A
          > Campbell.
          >

          > Who knows, there are times that even a scant piece of information
          may
          > provide a link? I'm also presuming that your Campbell's, although
          out of Co
          > Louth in Southern Ireland would have been practicing Presbyterians
          and
          > obviously from SCT at some stage.
          >

          > Best Wishes
          >
          > Don Johnston in Melbourne