Campbell - Fletcher Gippsland

  • bluwitch1960
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I have recently started researching my Campbell ancestors, and while I
      have info back to my great grandparents beyond that it is a little
      sketchy. I have an Ellen Jane Campbell b. 1878 Sale Vic d.o Allan
      Campbell and Rachel Williamson. m. Foster Nepean Varney 25 Dec 1897
      d. August 1958 in Bainsdale. They had at least 1 child Foster Nepean
      jnr. I need more information on Ellens family siblings grandparents
      etc. I know she ties into my Campbells as I have Foster Jnr's flyveil
      that he used on his horse in WWI 13th lighthorse.
      My great grandparents were Archie (Archibald) Campbell he married Mary
      Fletcher they had 3 children, Archibald Donald Duncan, Alan and William
      to my knowledge William was actually the son of Mary's unwed sister and
      grew up with my great grandparents. I think he died in the war.
      I believe the Fletchers came from Gippsland also.
      Any Info would be greatly appreciated and as soon as I see mum I can
      get some more dates on these people as futher reference for anyone who
      might have information.
      Cheers
      Robyn
    • wolfiboy69
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2008
        Robyn,

        Here's some from the Victorian Pioneers disks to help. I'll see what
        else I can find as I have time:

        SIBLINGS FOR ELLEN:
        Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888
        Query
        -----
        Surname : campbell (4740 matches)
        Spouse Surname/Fathe : allan (2040 matches)
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mot : rachael (4779 matches)

        Total matching records: 5
        --------------------
        Surname: CAMPBELL
        Given Names: Martha Mary
        Event: B
        Spouse Surname/Father: Allan
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Rachael WILLIAMSON
        Age:
        Sex:
        Birth Place: BAIRNSDALE
        Death Place:
        Year: 1877
        Reg Number: 6373
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        Surname: CAMPBELL
        Given Names: Allan Abel
        Event: B
        Spouse Surname/Father: Allan
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Rachel WILLIAMS
        Age:
        Sex:
        Birth Place: BAIP
        Death Place:
        Year: 1881
        Reg Number: 13702
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        Surname: CAMPBELL
        Given Names: Jessie
        Event: B
        Spouse Surname/Father: Allan
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Rachel WILLIAMSON
        Age:
        Sex:
        Birth Place: BAIRNSDALE
        Death Place:
        Year: 1888
        Reg Number: 26312
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        Surname: CAMPBELL
        Given Names: Christina Jessie
        Event: B
        Spouse Surname/Father: Allan
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Rachel WILLIAMSON
        Age:
        Sex:
        Birth Place: BAIRNSDALE
        Death Place:
        Year: 1888
        Reg Number: 26313
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        Surname: CAMPBELL
        Given Names: Jessie
        Event: D
        Spouse Surname/Father: Allan
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Rachel WILLIAMSON
        Age: 11M
        Sex:
        Birth Place:
        Death Place: BAIRNSDALE
        Year: 1888
        Reg Number: 12004
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        VARNEY DEATHS
        Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985
        Query
        -----
        Surname : varney (68 matches)
        Given Names : foster (309 matches)

        Total matching records: 3
        --------------------

        Surname: VARNEY
        Given Names: Foster Jno
        Father: Thos Edwd
        Mother: Edith Muriel LIGHT
        Death Place: BDALE
        Age: 0
        Age Code:
        Year: 1953
        Reg Number: 17818
        Event: D

        Surname: VARNEY
        Given Names: Foster Nepean
        Father: Joseph
        Mother: Louise BLAKE
        Death Place: BAIR
        Age: 90
        Age Code:
        Year: 1964
        Reg Number: 189
        Event: D

        Surname: VARNEY
        Given Names: Foster Nepean
        Father: Foster Nepea
        Mother: Ellen Jane CAMPBELL
        Death Place: MENT
        Age: 77
        Age Code:
        Year: 1976
        Reg Number: 8003
        Event: D

        Marriage searches reveal Rachael was born in Australia (Gippsland)
        and that Allan was from Scotland.:
        --------------------

        Surname: CAMPBELL
        Given Names: Allan
        Event: M
        Spouse Surname/Father: WILLIAMSON
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Rachel
        Age:
        Sex: M
        Birth Place: SCOTLAND
        Death Place:
        Year: 1875
        Reg Number: 2478
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        --------------------
        Surname: WILLIAMSON
        Given Names: Rachel
        Event: M
        Spouse Surname/Father: CAMPBELL
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Allan
        Age:
        Sex: F
        Birth Place: GIPPSLAND
        Death Place:
        Year: 1875
        Reg Number: 2478
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        RACHAEL'S BIRTH:
        --------------------
        Surname: WILLIAMSON
        Given Names: Rachael
        Event: B
        Spouse Surname/Father: John
        Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Louisa WALKER
        Age:
        Sex:
        Birth Place: COLLWOOD
        Death Place:
        Year: 1857
        Reg Number: 4201
        Denomination:
        Parish:
        Fiche:

        I haven't looked at the other line of Campbells yet.

        Best wishes and good luck with your research,
        Brian.
      • wolfiboy69
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2008
          Robyn,

          Archie - abt1915-1977
          Digger - Death Index. Victoria 1921-1985

          Query
          -----
          Surname : campbell (3845 matches)
          Given Names : archibald (3324 matches)
          Total matching records: 66
          --------------------
          Surname: CAMPBELL
          Given Names: Archibald Donald
          Father: Archie Dunca
          Mother: Mary FLETCHER
          Death Place: PARK
          Age: 62
          Age Code:
          Year: 1977
          Reg Number: 20767
          Event: D

          For information on William or anyone who served in the war you might
          check the national archives:
          http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/defence/service-
          records/index.aspx