Re: Archibald Campbell

  • gurneybarbara
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Janine Dale"
      <robbienjan@...> wrote:

      > Hi List
      > Does anyone have a connection to or any knowlege of:
      > Archibald Campbell ( b abt 1811) & wife Mary who arrived with
      daughter Janet (10 yo ) per Utopia to Portland Victoria in 1854.

      > thanks
      > Janine Dale

      Hi Janine
      I can only offer eary information but it might be of some help to you.

      The 1851 census shows Archibald Campbell labourer, aged 40 born
      Barrey, Lanark, his wife Mary aged 40 b Glasgow, daughters Elizabeth
      12 b Glasgow and Janet 8 b Glasgow living in the Parish of St John
      Glasgow at 375 Gallowgate.
      Utopia passenger records show:
      CAMPBELL Archibald Ag. Labourer Lanark Pres. R.W. M 42 Alex.
      Patterson Portland £120 12 mths
      Mary Wife " " R.W. F 42
      Janet Daughter " " R.W. F 10
      Archibald had agreed to work for Alex Patterson of Portland for 12
      months.
      No idea what happened to daughter Elizabeth.
      good luck
      Barbara

    • Janine Dale
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
        Thank you Barbara.
        I had not yet looked at the cencus.
        I don't know if this is my Arch Campbell, but I suspect it probably is. Fairly complicated history and conflicting info on family certs.

        thanks again
        Janine
        > Does anyone have a connection to or any knowlege of:
        > Archibald Campbell ( b abt 1811) & wife Mary who arrived with
        daughter Janet (10 yo ) per Utopia to Portland Victoria in 1854.

        > thanks
        > Janine Dale

        Hi Janine
        I can only offer eary information but it might be of some help to you.

        The 1851 census shows Archibald Campbell labourer, aged 40 born
        Barrey, Lanark, his wife Mary aged 40 b Glasgow, daughters Elizabeth
        12 b Glasgow and Janet 8 b Glasgow living in the Parish of St John
        Glasgow at 375 Gallowgate.
        Utopia passenger records show:
        CAMPBELL Archibald Ag. Labourer Lanark Pres. R.W. M 42 Alex.
        Patterson Portland £120 12 mths
        Mary Wife " " R.W. F 42
        Janet Daughter " " R.W. F 10
        Archibald had agreed to work for Alex Patterson of Portland for 12
        months.
        No idea what happened to daughter Elizabeth.
        good luck
        Barbara

      • Gillian
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
          Barbara - wouldn't that be BARONY a very large area of Northern
          Glasgow?
          Just a suggestion, as I have many of my Campbell ancesors from there.
          Gillian
          Cyc> The 1851 census shows Archibald Campbell labourer, aged 40 born
          Cyc> Barrey, Lanark, his wife Mary aged 40 b Glasgow, daughters Elizabeth
          Cyc> 12 b Glasgow and Janet 8 b Glasgow living in the Parish of St John
          Cyc> Glasgow at 375 Gallowgate.
          Cyc> Utopia passenger records show:
          Cyc> CAMPBELL Archibald Ag. Labourer Lanark Pres. R.W. M 42 Alex.
          Cyc> Patterson Portland £120 12 mths
          Cyc> Mary Wife " " R.W. F 42
          Cyc> Janet Daughter " " R.W. F 10
          Cyc> Archibald had agreed to work for Alex Patterson of Portland for 12
          Cyc> months.
          Cyc> No idea what happened to daughter Elizabeth.
          Cyc> good luck
          Cyc> Barbara

        • gurneybarbara
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
            Hi Gillian
            The 1851 census for Scotland on Ancestry.com only shows the typed
            information and while Barrey is recorded twice, Barony is also recorded
            for others on the same page. You would need to check the hand written
            document to be sure.
            Barbara