Archibald Campbell

  • Janine Dale
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
      Hi List
      Does anyone have a connection to or any knowlege of:
      Archibald Campbell ( b abt 1811) & wife Mary who arrived with daughter Janet (10 yo ) per Utopia  to Portland Victoria in 1854.

      thanks
      Janine Dale
    • gurneybarbara
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Janine Dale"
        <robbienjan@...> wrote:

        > Hi List
        > Does anyone have a connection to or any knowlege of:
        > Archibald Campbell ( b abt 1811) & wife Mary who arrived with
        daughter Janet (10 yo ) per Utopia to Portland Victoria in 1854.

        > thanks
        > Janine Dale

        Hi Janine
        I can only offer eary information but it might be of some help to you.

        The 1851 census shows Archibald Campbell labourer, aged 40 born
        Barrey, Lanark, his wife Mary aged 40 b Glasgow, daughters Elizabeth
        12 b Glasgow and Janet 8 b Glasgow living in the Parish of St John
        Glasgow at 375 Gallowgate.
        Utopia passenger records show:
        CAMPBELL Archibald Ag. Labourer Lanark Pres. R.W. M 42 Alex.
        Patterson Portland £120 12 mths
        Mary Wife " " R.W. F 42
        Janet Daughter " " R.W. F 10
        Archibald had agreed to work for Alex Patterson of Portland for 12
        months.
        No idea what happened to daughter Elizabeth.
        good luck
        Barbara

      • Janine Dale
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          Thank you Barbara.
          I had not yet looked at the cencus.
          I don't know if this is my Arch Campbell, but I suspect it probably is. Fairly complicated history and conflicting info on family certs.

          thanks again
          Janine
          > Does anyone have a connection to or any knowlege of:
          > Archibald Campbell ( b abt 1811) & wife Mary who arrived with
          daughter Janet (10 yo ) per Utopia to Portland Victoria in 1854.

          > thanks
          > Janine Dale

          Hi Janine
          I can only offer eary information but it might be of some help to you.

          The 1851 census shows Archibald Campbell labourer, aged 40 born
          Barrey, Lanark, his wife Mary aged 40 b Glasgow, daughters Elizabeth
          12 b Glasgow and Janet 8 b Glasgow living in the Parish of St John
          Glasgow at 375 Gallowgate.
          Utopia passenger records show:
          CAMPBELL Archibald Ag. Labourer Lanark Pres. R.W. M 42 Alex.
          Patterson Portland £120 12 mths
          Mary Wife " " R.W. F 42
          Janet Daughter " " R.W. F 10
          Archibald had agreed to work for Alex Patterson of Portland for 12
          months.
          No idea what happened to daughter Elizabeth.
          good luck
          Barbara

        • Gillian
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
            Barbara - wouldn't that be BARONY a very large area of Northern
            Glasgow?
            Just a suggestion, as I have many of my Campbell ancesors from there.
            Gillian
            Cyc> The 1851 census shows Archibald Campbell labourer, aged 40 born
            Cyc> Barrey, Lanark, his wife Mary aged 40 b Glasgow, daughters Elizabeth
            Cyc> 12 b Glasgow and Janet 8 b Glasgow living in the Parish of St John
            Cyc> Glasgow at 375 Gallowgate.
            Cyc> Utopia passenger records show:
            Cyc> CAMPBELL Archibald Ag. Labourer Lanark Pres. R.W. M 42 Alex.
            Cyc> Patterson Portland £120 12 mths
            Cyc> Mary Wife " " R.W. F 42
            Cyc> Janet Daughter " " R.W. F 10
            Cyc> Archibald had agreed to work for Alex Patterson of Portland for 12
            Cyc> months.
            Cyc> No idea what happened to daughter Elizabeth.
            Cyc> good luck
            Cyc> Barbara

          • gurneybarbara
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
              Hi Gillian
              The 1851 census for Scotland on Ancestry.com only shows the typed
              information and while Barrey is recorded twice, Barony is also recorded
              for others on the same page. You would need to check the hand written
              document to be sure.
              Barbara