Re: James and Isabella Campbell of Callan Park, Balmain NSW

  • barbarabuining
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hi Sybil
      Your entry came up when I searched for Balmain in the group as I
      have had recent correspondence with a lady whose maiden name was
      Waugh who is interested in researching the ancestry of James
      Campbell from Balmain.
      Do you, or anyone on the list, know anything about how or when his
      father came to Australia? James may have been born at Pyrmont in
      1832. His father was Duncan who married Hannah Manuel in Scotland
      and his grandfather was a Robert Campbell from Stirling.

      Hannah Manuel Campbell, daughter of James and Isabella, married
      William Angus Waugh in 1893 and they lived at "Clare", Balranald.
      Hannah died there in 1945. William's father was John Hall Waugh and
      his mother Johanna Cameron.

      Hope we can exchange some more information.
      BArbara

      --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron" <kilt@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am researching the CAMPBELL family of
      Balmain/Rozelle/Leichhardt/Petersham in NSW.

      > James CAMPBELL (son of Duncan and Hannah, I think) married in 1862
      at Balmain NSW to:
      > Isabella FRASER (daughter of John Thomson FRASER and Helen THOMSON)
      >
      > I don't know whether James' parents emigrated with him. However,
      the 1865 Sands Directory shows a Duncan Campbell at Broughton Park -
      part of today's Callan Park. Isabella's parents lived next door at
      Broughton House.

      > James and Isabella had the following children:
      >
      > 1. Duncan R. CAMPBELL b. 1863 at Balmain
      > 2. John T. CAMPBELL b. 1865 at Balmain
      > 3. Hannah M. CAMPBELL b. 1867 at Balmain
      > 4. Helen T. CAMPBELL b. 1869 at Balmain
      > 5. Isabella L. CAMPBELL b. 1871 at Balmain
      > 6. James Stenhouse CAMPBELL b. 1873 at Balmain
      > 7. Thomas F. CAMPBELL b. 1875 at Balmain
      > 8. Elizabeth Mary CAMPBELL b. 1877 at Balmain
      > 9. Charlotte Olivia CAMPBELL b. 1879 at Balmain
      > 10. Florence L. CAMPBELL b. 1883 at Leichhardt
      >
      > I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who knows these folk.
      >
      > Kind regards
      >
      > Sybil Cameron

    • Marjorie Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2006
        Claire Station. I have been in correspondence with a lady who is searching
        Johanna Cameron. She would be interested in have a talk, unfortunable does
        not have a email this is her address she asked about Robert Campbell may be
        worth a letter
        Mrs. A. W. Dougherty,

        14 Lennox St.,

        NORMANHURST 2076

        REgards
        Marjorie Echuca/Moama
        > Your entry came up when I searched for Balmain in the group as I
        > have had recent correspondence with a lady whose maiden name was
        > Waugh who is interested in researching the ancestry of James
        > Campbell from Balmain.
        > Do you, or anyone on the list, know anything about how or when his
        > father came to Australia? James may have been born at Pyrmont in
        > 1832. His father was Duncan who married Hannah Manuel in Scotland
        > and his grandfather was a Robert Campbell from Stirling.
        >
        > Hannah Manuel Campbell, daughter of James and Isabella, married
        > William Angus Waugh in 1893 and they lived at "Clare", Balranald.
        > Hannah died there in 1945. William's father was John Hall Waugh and
        > his mother Johanna Cameron.
        >
        > Hope we can exchange some more information.
        > BArbara
        >
        > --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron" <kilt@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> Hello,
        >>
        >> I am researching the CAMPBELL family of
        > Balmain/Rozelle/Leichhardt/Petersham in NSW.
        >>
        >> James CAMPBELL (son of Duncan and Hannah, I think) married in 1862
        > at Balmain NSW to:
        >> Isabella FRASER (daughter of John Thomson FRASER and Helen THOMSON)
        >>
        >> I don't know whether James' parents emigrated with him. However,
        > the 1865 Sands Directory shows a Duncan Campbell at Broughton Park -
        > part of today's Callan Park. Isabella's parents lived next door at
        > Broughton House.
        >>
        >> James and Isabella had the following children:
        >>
        >> 1. Duncan R. CAMPBELL b. 1863 at Balmain
        >> 2. John T. CAMPBELL b. 1865 at Balmain
        >> 3. Hannah M. CAMPBELL b. 1867 at Balmain
        >> 4. Helen T. CAMPBELL b. 1869 at Balmain
        >> 5. Isabella L. CAMPBELL b. 1871 at Balmain
        >> 6. James Stenhouse CAMPBELL b. 1873 at Balmain
        >> 7. Thomas F. CAMPBELL b. 1875 at Balmain
        >> 8. Elizabeth Mary CAMPBELL b. 1877 at Balmain
        >> 9. Charlotte Olivia CAMPBELL b. 1879 at Balmain
        >> 10. Florence L. CAMPBELL b. 1883 at Leichhardt
        >>
        >> I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who knows these folk.
        >>
        >> Kind regards
        >>
        >> Sybil Cameron
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • Admin10
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2006
          Hello Sybil Cameron
          I am Robert Campbell of Perth WA
          My family came from Stirling in the mid 1850's to Australia to settle in Goulburn initially then Sydney ( Pyrmont) in 1880's
          My great great grandfather was Angus Campbell who I think had a brother Robert residing at Oban eventually. This Robert was the son of John and Catherine Campbell and was possibly also born at Fort William with his brother Angus. I have little success in tracing the Fort William birth records to prove this.This Robert was a merchant with the East India Company.
          Angus had a son also named Robert  see below. The name eventually passed to me in our family tree.
          Angus' brother may not be your Robert but the lead may be useful.

          Kind regards
          Robert Campbell
          bob@...

          FamilySearch™InternationalGenealogical Index v5.0British Isles
          FamilyGroupRecord
          Search Results| Download
          Husband
          AngusCampbell Pedigree
          Birth:About 1768Balfron, Stirling, ScotlandIncorrect subsequent research has Angus born in Fort William
          Christening:1770
          Marriage:03 MAR 1804Balfron, Stirling, Scotland
          Death:Balfron, Stirling, Scotland
          Burial:
          Father:John Campbell
          Mother:Catherine Kennedy
          Wife
          ChristianMcLew Pedigree
          Birth:1776Meikle, , Stirling, Scotland
          Christening:20 AUG 1772Balfron, Stirling, Scotland
          Marriage:03 MAR 1804Balfron, Stirling, Scotland
          Death:
          Burial:
          Father:David McLewFamily
          Mother:Helen Rey
          Children
          1. AngusCampbell
          Male
          Birth:12 NOV 1804Balfron, Stirling, Scotland
          Christening:18 NOV 1804Balfron, Stirling, Scotland
          Death: