Re: [CampbellsAustralia] Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post

  • Neil Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
      Hi Pat
      From a true blue Amateur genie. More than happy to help with Campbell's, one day may even find my lot.
      Frances Campbell
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 9:39 PM
      Subject: [CampbellsAustralia] Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post

      I'd just like to take the opportunity to introduce Pat Comnnor to you
      all.
      She's pretty coy within this Group even though Pat is probably our only
      New York [USA] member.  Pat is a dead set serious Genealogist and to
      boot a lovely lady [Who I've only Cyber-Met], moreso Pat moderates a few
      specific Rootsweb Genie sites with an absolute Irish influence.  Much of
      Pat's work and input is obviously based upon her Connor surname but Pat,
      like all of us has an absolute "Campbell" connection here in Australia.

      For someone so far away and so helpful in her global quest I would like
      to encourage the Group to help her on her road to finding her Campbell's
      !!

      Best Wishes
      Don in Melbourne

      <Snip>
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
        There you go Pat, Barbara has hopefully opened a link, I'm not too sure
        where Black Creek in our State of New South Wales really is as I live in
        Melbourne [in the State of Victoria - geographically a couple of hundred
        or so US miles south of there], mind you history does tell us that we
        Victorians are a race apart from those above us, especially when it
        comes to our Aussie Rules Football [That may hit a nerve or two ??]. -
        LOL !!

        I reckon that the Aussie spirit of helpfulness will come to light on
        this special and niche Group in the next couple of days, as most of my
        research [On-Line] is in Ireland maybe some of the Group can share their
        NSW knowledge with Pat, if it's possible does anyone know of a url which
        can show maps of where Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW,
        possibly showing it's relationship with Sydney and certainly with
        Victoria and Queensland, I know that this could help Pat in her general
        geographical knowledge of Australia.

        Also is there any localised history of Black Creek or surrounding areas
        on a web page anywhere ??

        Barbara's local knowledge and help is I'm sure really appreciated and
        Pat has been of a real help to me in my attempting to understand New
        York and surrounds - very much [some of my & Gillian's family went there
        back in 1873], if we can use and encourage any of our great Group to
        help Pat it would be very much appreciated.....
        Don in Melbourne

        <Snip>-----Original Message-----
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004

          Gillian <gillda@...> wrote:

          Hi Pat
          As  you  have  probably  realised, Don and I have had the same problem
          with  trying  to  find lost relatives in New York, and the USA - after
          how  many  years  we still can't find where our James Stewart Johnston
          died  and was buried, we need a friendly on the spot (hence our emails
          to you!)

          Just wondering if you've tried RAOGK.  I'm a member in Brisbane and I've used others in various places, especially in Canada

          Maggie

        • Barbara Gurney
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
            Following info from description of Cessnock NSW.

            "....Many early landholders in the Hunter Valley were of Scottish descent.
            Some were the younger sons of noble families who had come to take advantage
            of generous grants when the family estate was bestowed upon the eldest son.
            One such case was that of John Campbell who was granted 1560 acres in 1826
            along Black Creek where the town is now situated. He named the property
            after Cessnock castle in Ayrshire, Scotland, which belonged to his baronial
            grandfather. Unfortunately John died in 1828 at the age of 24 and his
            younger brother David returned to Scotland when the grant was transferred to
            elder brother George, still resident in his native land. George waived his
            rights in 1832 and David finally managed to secure a deed in 1834. However,
            by that time, he too had decided to remain in Scotland and he became an
            absentee landlord. Much of the property was sold in an 1853 enabling the
            emergence of a private village......"

            Lavender Creek (Cessnock) Known as Black Creek because of its odour.
            Black Creek Early name for Branxton.

            Seems several villages/places were located along this Black Creek

            For map of Hunter Valley, including Black Creek:
            http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/ieo/Hunter/map.htm

            Any map of NSW will give the location of Newcastle north of Sydney.

            Rootsweb have the following list for the Hunter Valley
            AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-L@...

            Hope these sites will help listers will Campbell connections in the Hunter
            Valley area.

            Barbara

            > From: "don johnston" <petenv@...>
            > Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:56:31 +1000
            > To: <CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [CampbellsAustralia] Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post
            >

            > There you go Pat, Barbara has hopefully opened a link, I'm not too sure
            > where Black Creek in our State of New South Wales really is as I live in
            > Melbourne [in the State of Victoria - geographically a couple of hundred
            > or so US miles south of there], mind you history does tell us that we
            > Victorians are a race apart from those above us, especially when it
            > comes to our Aussie Rules Football [That may hit a nerve or two ??]. -
            > LOL !!
            >
            > I reckon that the Aussie spirit of helpfulness will come to light on
            > this special and niche Group in the next couple of days, as most of my
            > research [On-Line] is in Ireland maybe some of the Group can share their
            > NSW knowledge with Pat, if it's possible does anyone know of a url which
            > can show maps of where Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW,
            > possibly showing it's relationship with Sydney and certainly with
            > Victoria and Queensland, I know that this could help Pat in her general
            > geographical knowledge of Australia.
            >
            > Also is there any localised history of Black Creek or surrounding areas
            > on a web page anywhere ??
            >
            > Barbara's local knowledge and help is I'm sure really appreciated and
            > Pat has been of a real help to me in my attempting to understand New
            > York and surrounds - very much [some of my & Gillian's family went there
            > back in 1873], if we can use and encourage any of our great Group to
            > help Pat it would be very much appreciated.....
            > Don in Melbourne

          • Barbara Gurney
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
              Interesting site for early Campbell info

              http://www.jenwilletts.com/searchaction.php

              Barbara