Re: [CampbellsAustralia] Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post

  • Gillian
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
      Hi Pat
      As you have probably realised, Don and I have had the same problem
      with trying to find lost relatives in New York, and the USA - after
      how many years we still can't find where our James Stewart Johnston
      died and was buried, we need a friendly on the spot (hence our emails
      to you!)

      You would probably have found the NSW State Archives http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

      I also found this on http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWCessnock.shtml

      Many early landholders in the Hunter Valley were of
      Scottish descent. Some were the younger sons of noble families who had
      come to take advantage of generous grants when the family estate was
      bestowed upon the eldest son. One such case was that of John Campbell
      who was granted 1560 acres in 1826 along Black Creek where the town is
      now situated. He named the property after Cessnock castle in Ayrshire, Scotland, which belonged to his baronial grandfather. Unfortunately
      John died in 1828 at the age of 24 and his younger brother David
      returned to Scotland when the grant was transferred to elder brother
      George, still resident in his native land. George waived his rights in
      1832 and David finally managed to secure a deed in 1834. However, by
      that time, he too had decided to remain in Scotland and he became an
      absentee landlord. Much of the property was sold in an 1853 enabling
      the emergence of a private village.

      Gillian
    • Barbara Gurney
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
        Hi Pat

        Had a quick look for your George and found the following from the NSW BD&Ms:

        George and Mary Campbell had a son George A Campbell born in 1853.
        George A Campbell married Tona E Cameron in NSW in 1984.

        Tona E seems to be a spelling mistake as the birth of 2 children Thelma E in
        1895 and Gordon M in 1902 list the mother's name as Lena E. Their births
        were registered in Newcastle NSW.

        George, husband of Mary, died 1876, registered at Newcastle. His parents
        names were Alexander and Mary.

        Son George A died in 1923 in the district of Cessnock which is near
        Newcastle.

        Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW and the above towns are also in
        that district. The name Black Creek no longer exists but the historic town
        of Morpeth is in the same area where several Campbells were early pioneers
        including the owner of the general store.

        Suggest you type in a search for Campbell any of the above places and look
        at the following site which lists Campbells from Ireland:

        http://www.huntervalleygenealogy.com/fam_cd.htm

        I can send you the Registration number re the BD&Ms direct to your email if
        your want the information.

        Good hunting
        Barbara

        > Thanks Don, for those kind words. I do have an Australian Campbell
        > connection but I am in the dark about researching in Australia. (BTW,
        > I also have found some of my Phillips cousins in Perth.) But getting
        > back to my Campbells, my grandmother was a Campbell and her father was
        > born in Australia. I believe I have his baptism certificate but have
        > not started searching for his parents who I believe emigrated from
        > Ireland to Australia. I keep putting this branch off because I know I
        > will have to learn about your country's geography and record keeping
        > laws, available emigration records...all the stuff I had to learn about
        > NY, Ireland and Canada. But the time is coming where this will be the
        > only branch that I need to get to a county in Ireland so I will be
        > forced to dive into you country. In the meantime, I am learning from
        > this and other Australian oriented lists.
        >
        > Here's a question...what list should I join if my ggrandfather was born
        > in Black Creek, County of Northumberland, NSW?
        > Thanks again, Don.
        >
        > --
        > Pat Connors, Sacramento CA
        > http://www.connorsgenealogy.com
        > All outgoing mail virus free, scanned by Norton
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Neil Campbell
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
          Hi Pat
          From a true blue Amateur genie. More than happy to help with Campbell's, one day may even find my lot.
          Frances Campbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
            There you go Pat, Barbara has hopefully opened a link, I'm not too sure
            where Black Creek in our State of New South Wales really is as I live in
            Melbourne [in the State of Victoria - geographically a couple of hundred
            or so US miles south of there], mind you history does tell us that we
            Victorians are a race apart from those above us, especially when it
            comes to our Aussie Rules Football [That may hit a nerve or two ??]. -
            LOL !!

            I reckon that the Aussie spirit of helpfulness will come to light on
            this special and niche Group in the next couple of days, as most of my
            research [On-Line] is in Ireland maybe some of the Group can share their
            NSW knowledge with Pat, if it's possible does anyone know of a url which
            can show maps of where Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW,
            possibly showing it's relationship with Sydney and certainly with
            Victoria and Queensland, I know that this could help Pat in her general
            geographical knowledge of Australia.

            Also is there any localised history of Black Creek or surrounding areas
            on a web page anywhere ??

            Barbara's local knowledge and help is I'm sure really appreciated and
            Pat has been of a real help to me in my attempting to understand New
            York and surrounds - very much [some of my & Gillian's family went there
            back in 1873], if we can use and encourage any of our great Group to
            help Pat it would be very much appreciated.....
            Don in Melbourne

            <Snip>-----Original Message-----
[...]

            <Snip>
[...]
            <Unsnip>
          • It's Maggie
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004

              Gillian <gillda@...> wrote:

              Hi Pat
              As  you  have  probably  realised, Don and I have had the same problem
              with  trying  to  find lost relatives in New York, and the USA - after
              how  many  years  we still can't find where our James Stewart Johnston
              died  and was buried, we need a friendly on the spot (hence our emails
              to you!)

              Just wondering if you've tried RAOGK.  I'm a member in Brisbane and I've used others in various places, especially in Canada

              Maggie

            • Barbara Gurney
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
                Following info from description of Cessnock NSW.

[...]

                Lavender Creek (Cessnock) Known as Black Creek because of its odour.
                Black Creek Early name for Branxton.

                Seems several villages/places were located along this Black Creek

                For map of Hunter Valley, including Black Creek:
                http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/ieo/Hunter/map.htm

                Any map of NSW will give the location of Newcastle north of Sydney.

                Rootsweb have the following list for the Hunter Valley
                AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-L@...

                Hope these sites will help listers will Campbell connections in the Hunter
                Valley area.

                Barbara

                > From: "don johnston" <petenv@...>
                > Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:56:31 +1000
                > To: <CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [CampbellsAustralia] Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post
                >

                > There you go Pat, Barbara has hopefully opened a link, I'm not too sure
                > where Black Creek in our State of New South Wales really is as I live in
                > Melbourne [in the State of Victoria - geographically a couple of hundred
                > or so US miles south of there], mind you history does tell us that we
                > Victorians are a race apart from those above us, especially when it
                > comes to our Aussie Rules Football [That may hit a nerve or two ??]. -
                > LOL !!
                >
                > I reckon that the Aussie spirit of helpfulness will come to light on
                > this special and niche Group in the next couple of days, as most of my
                > research [On-Line] is in Ireland maybe some of the Group can share their
                > NSW knowledge with Pat, if it's possible does anyone know of a url which
                > can show maps of where Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW,
                > possibly showing it's relationship with Sydney and certainly with
                > Victoria and Queensland, I know that this could help Pat in her general
                > geographical knowledge of Australia.
                >
                > Also is there any localised history of Black Creek or surrounding areas
                > on a web page anywhere ??
                >
                > Barbara's local knowledge and help is I'm sure really appreciated and
                > Pat has been of a real help to me in my attempting to understand New
                > York and surrounds - very much [some of my & Gillian's family went there
                > back in 1873], if we can use and encourage any of our great Group to
                > help Pat it would be very much appreciated.....
                > Don in Melbourne

              • Barbara Gurney
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
                  Interesting site for early Campbell info

                  http://www.jenwilletts.com/searchaction.php

                  Barbara