Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post

  • don johnston
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 12, 2004
      I'd just like to take the opportunity to introduce Pat Comnnor to you
      all.
      She's pretty coy within this Group even though Pat is probably our only
      New York [USA] member. Pat is a dead set serious Genealogist and to
      boot a lovely lady [Who I've only Cyber-Met], moreso Pat moderates a few
      specific Rootsweb Genie sites with an absolute Irish influence. Much of
      Pat's work and input is obviously based upon her Connor surname but Pat,
      like all of us has an absolute "Campbell" connection here in Australia.

      For someone so far away and so helpful in her global quest I would like
      to encourage the Group to help her on her road to finding her Campbell's
      !!

      Best Wishes
      Don in Melbourne

      <Snip>
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004

        >Pat's work and input is obviously based upon her Connor surname but Pat,
        >like all of us has an absolute "Campbell" connection here in Australia.

        Thanks Don, for those kind words. I do have an Australian Campbell
        connection but I am in the dark about researching in Australia. (BTW,
        I also have found some of my Phillips cousins in Perth.) But getting
        back to my Campbells, my grandmother was a Campbell and her father was
        born in Australia. I believe I have his baptism certificate but have
        not started searching for his parents who I believe emigrated from
        Ireland to Australia. I keep putting this branch off because I know I
        will have to learn about your country's geography and record keeping
        laws, available emigration records...all the stuff I had to learn about
        NY, Ireland and Canada. But the time is coming where this will be the
        only branch that I need to get to a county in Ireland so I will be
        forced to dive into you country. In the meantime, I am learning from
        this and other Australian oriented lists.

        Here's a question...what list should I join if my ggrandfather was born
        in Black Creek, County of Northumberland, NSW?
        Thanks again, Don.

        --
        Pat Connors, Sacramento CA
        http://www.connorsgenealogy.com
        All outgoing mail virus free, scanned by Norton
      • Gillian
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
          Hi Pat
          As you have probably realised, Don and I have had the same problem
          with trying to find lost relatives in New York, and the USA - after
          how many years we still can't find where our James Stewart Johnston
          died and was buried, we need a friendly on the spot (hence our emails
          to you!)

          You would probably have found the NSW State Archives http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

          I also found this on http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWCessnock.shtml

          Many early landholders in the Hunter Valley were of
          Scottish descent. Some were the younger sons of noble families who had
          come to take advantage of generous grants when the family estate was
          bestowed upon the eldest son. One such case was that of John Campbell
          who was granted 1560 acres in 1826 along Black Creek where the town is
          now situated. He named the property after Cessnock castle in Ayrshire, Scotland, which belonged to his baronial grandfather. Unfortunately
          John died in 1828 at the age of 24 and his younger brother David
          returned to Scotland when the grant was transferred to elder brother
          George, still resident in his native land. George waived his rights in
          1832 and David finally managed to secure a deed in 1834. However, by
          that time, he too had decided to remain in Scotland and he became an
          absentee landlord. Much of the property was sold in an 1853 enabling
          the emergence of a private village.

          Gillian
        • Barbara Gurney
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
            Hi Pat

            Had a quick look for your George and found the following from the NSW BD&Ms:

            George and Mary Campbell had a son George A Campbell born in 1853.
            George A Campbell married Tona E Cameron in NSW in 1984.

            Tona E seems to be a spelling mistake as the birth of 2 children Thelma E in
            1895 and Gordon M in 1902 list the mother's name as Lena E. Their births
            were registered in Newcastle NSW.

            George, husband of Mary, died 1876, registered at Newcastle. His parents
            names were Alexander and Mary.

            Son George A died in 1923 in the district of Cessnock which is near
            Newcastle.

            Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW and the above towns are also in
            that district. The name Black Creek no longer exists but the historic town
            of Morpeth is in the same area where several Campbells were early pioneers
            including the owner of the general store.

            Suggest you type in a search for Campbell any of the above places and look
            at the following site which lists Campbells from Ireland:

            http://www.huntervalleygenealogy.com/fam_cd.htm

            I can send you the Registration number re the BD&Ms direct to your email if
            your want the information.

            Good hunting
            Barbara

            > Thanks Don, for those kind words. I do have an Australian Campbell
            > connection but I am in the dark about researching in Australia. (BTW,
            > I also have found some of my Phillips cousins in Perth.) But getting
            > back to my Campbells, my grandmother was a Campbell and her father was
            > born in Australia. I believe I have his baptism certificate but have
            > not started searching for his parents who I believe emigrated from
            > Ireland to Australia. I keep putting this branch off because I know I
            > will have to learn about your country's geography and record keeping
            > laws, available emigration records...all the stuff I had to learn about
            > NY, Ireland and Canada. But the time is coming where this will be the
            > only branch that I need to get to a county in Ireland so I will be
            > forced to dive into you country. In the meantime, I am learning from
            > this and other Australian oriented lists.
            >
            > Here's a question...what list should I join if my ggrandfather was born
            > in Black Creek, County of Northumberland, NSW?
            > Thanks again, Don.
            >
            > --
            > Pat Connors, Sacramento CA
            > http://www.connorsgenealogy.com
            > All outgoing mail virus free, scanned by Norton
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Neil Campbell
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
              Hi Pat
              From a true blue Amateur genie. More than happy to help with Campbell's, one day may even find my lot.
              Frances Campbell

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
                There you go Pat, Barbara has hopefully opened a link, I'm not too sure
                where Black Creek in our State of New South Wales really is as I live in
                Melbourne [in the State of Victoria - geographically a couple of hundred
                or so US miles south of there], mind you history does tell us that we
                Victorians are a race apart from those above us, especially when it
                comes to our Aussie Rules Football [That may hit a nerve or two ??]. -
                LOL !!

                I reckon that the Aussie spirit of helpfulness will come to light on
                this special and niche Group in the next couple of days, as most of my
                research [On-Line] is in Ireland maybe some of the Group can share their
                NSW knowledge with Pat, if it's possible does anyone know of a url which
                can show maps of where Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW,
                possibly showing it's relationship with Sydney and certainly with
                Victoria and Queensland, I know that this could help Pat in her general
                geographical knowledge of Australia.

                Also is there any localised history of Black Creek or surrounding areas
                on a web page anywhere ??

                Barbara's local knowledge and help is I'm sure really appreciated and
                Pat has been of a real help to me in my attempting to understand New
                York and surrounds - very much [some of my & Gillian's family went there
                back in 1873], if we can use and encourage any of our great Group to
                help Pat it would be very much appreciated.....
                Don in Melbourne

                <Snip>-----Original Message-----

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004

                  Gillian <gillda@...> wrote:

                  Hi Pat
                  As  you  have  probably  realised, Don and I have had the same problem
                  with  trying  to  find lost relatives in New York, and the USA - after
                  how  many  years  we still can't find where our James Stewart Johnston
                  died  and was buried, we need a friendly on the spot (hence our emails
                  to you!)

                  Just wondering if you've tried RAOGK.  I'm a member in Brisbane and I've used others in various places, especially in Canada

                  Maggie

                • Barbara Gurney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
                    Following info from description of Cessnock NSW.

[...]

                    Lavender Creek (Cessnock) Known as Black Creek because of its odour.
                    Black Creek Early name for Branxton.

                    Seems several villages/places were located along this Black Creek

                    For map of Hunter Valley, including Black Creek:
                    http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/ieo/Hunter/map.htm

                    Any map of NSW will give the location of Newcastle north of Sydney.

                    Rootsweb have the following list for the Hunter Valley
                    AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-L@...

                    Hope these sites will help listers will Campbell connections in the Hunter
                    Valley area.

                    Barbara

                    > From: "don johnston" <petenv@...>
                    > Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:56:31 +1000
                    > To: <CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: RE: [CampbellsAustralia] Re Pat's Ireland Birth Index Post
                    >

                    > There you go Pat, Barbara has hopefully opened a link, I'm not too sure
                    > where Black Creek in our State of New South Wales really is as I live in
                    > Melbourne [in the State of Victoria - geographically a couple of hundred
                    > or so US miles south of there], mind you history does tell us that we
                    > Victorians are a race apart from those above us, especially when it
                    > comes to our Aussie Rules Football [That may hit a nerve or two ??]. -
                    > LOL !!
                    >
                    > I reckon that the Aussie spirit of helpfulness will come to light on
                    > this special and niche Group in the next couple of days, as most of my
                    > research [On-Line] is in Ireland maybe some of the Group can share their
                    > NSW knowledge with Pat, if it's possible does anyone know of a url which
                    > can show maps of where Black Creek was in the Hunter Valley of NSW,
                    > possibly showing it's relationship with Sydney and certainly with
                    > Victoria and Queensland, I know that this could help Pat in her general
                    > geographical knowledge of Australia.
                    >
                    > Also is there any localised history of Black Creek or surrounding areas
                    > on a web page anywhere ??
                    >
                    > Barbara's local knowledge and help is I'm sure really appreciated and
                    > Pat has been of a real help to me in my attempting to understand New
                    > York and surrounds - very much [some of my & Gillian's family went there
                    > back in 1873], if we can use and encourage any of our great Group to
                    > help Pat it would be very much appreciated.....
                    > Don in Melbourne

                  • Barbara Gurney
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
                      Interesting site for early Campbell info

                      http://www.jenwilletts.com/searchaction.php

                      Barbara