Re: Re[2]: [CampbellsAustralia] Campbell names Database

  • Barbara Gurney
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2004
      Hi Gillian

      Thanks for your prompt reply and also the work you have undertaken to do
      with CampbellsAustralia. I agree the more information we can share the
      better and hopefully we can pull down many of the brick walls.

      The data base being compiled by the Clan Campbell Society in Australia is
      huge and is still being copied electronically. It includes not only the
      Australian Campbell but where possible their ancestral family trees, and
      those descendants who no longer bear the name Campbell. All are being cross
      referenced so families can be reunited if a match come up.

      This information has to be checked and cross checked as we sometimes get
      several different versions with different information and dates for the same
      families.

      Several attempts have been made over the last 20 years to put something
      together that we could publish re Campbells in Australia, but that has also
      fallen by the wayside when enthusiastic members realised how much work and
      research would be involved, especially without infringing copyright if
      including information from works already published. This includes text and
      photographs.

      I also speak from experience having published my own limited edition of my
      Campbell family history 11 years ago. It took many years of research (over
      20) but still contains errors and access to the internet has not cleared up
      any of the brick walls. I just keep hoping.

      I will do what I can to check anything posted to this list, against data I
      have access to.

      Regards
      Barbara

      PS Have had a lot of trouble with a new email address so not sure if my
      original email has been repeated.