Re: [CampbellsAustralia] Re - Our Research ??

  • Neil Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2004
      Don
      I would like to thank you for leadership and
      know you are leaving us in safe hands with
      Gillian (one of newest email friends!) Always
      glad to share my Campbells with anyone
      (if anyone would really want my tin of worms)
      Gill by look of one of my other emails do I
      owe you another certificate (you hog) how come
      I found all your rellies and not my own! My
      Campbell's (Donald) such an uncommon name
      NOT! was born in "British America, Novia Scotia.
      And married Jane McIntyre in Aussie, they seem
      to have started in Portland (Vic) but yet to establish
      when Donald graced our shores. This family is rather
      messy (isn't Gill!) with young deaths and changed
      death certificates a little confusing. Anyway enough
      of my Campbells- would like to know more of any
      Aussie Campbells in Vic who may be "family"!

      Fran Campbell
      Knoxfield, Victoria

    • don johnston
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2004
        Message
        Wow Fran, that was quick, thanks so much for your nice words its gave me a smile on my dial.  Your Death Certificate copy was a welcome surprise, isn't it strange and ironic that you touched base with Gill, in Adelaide, she photocopied it for me and then sent it to me in Cheltenham, I've been working up in Brisbane and received it when I came home, from Gill and of course devoured it, even though I knew about him I was rapt that I had more documented and confirmed information - For that I thank you very much.

        I'll upload my stuff asap, you never ever know but I do have to tell you that after zillions of years researching our Johnston's and Campbell's that you are the first to share our ancestors info [I'm sorry that we haven't been able to light up your star !!], Fran it will happen though, somewhere, sometime someone will go "Zing" Gotcha.....and what a sensational feeling that will be eh ??.

        I think I will be doing some work in Mt Gambier in the near future, can I call into Portland and look at anything for you ??

        Have you checked out the LDS CD Census, rather do you know much about your Donald & Jane McIntyre Fran ??

        Best Wishes
        Don in nearby Cheltenham

        <Snip>
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2004
          Message

          Thanks Don,
          (another Don, how I wish you were given a number after your names!)
          Donald and Jane were married in melbourne (waiting on marriage cert)
          in abt. 1859.
          Donald Campbell born Novia Scotia abt. 1834 died 1863
          Jane McIntyre born Tyrone Ireland abt. 1840 died 19/12/1872 in Nunawading
          Jane's parents were Joshua McIntyre and Sarah (nee Campbell)

          Donald and Jane had three children
          Hugh William Robert (our gr grandfather) born 1862 portland
          Sarah Isabelle born 1862 portland died 1862 portland
          Donald Joshua Campbell born Richmond 1863 (his dad died before he was born)
          died Melbourne Hospital 13/4/1933.

          As far as I can tell, Donald and Hugh were not brought up together as their parents
          both died young. But the interesting part starts after their death.
          In 1913 Donald Snr and Jane's death certificates were both altered, to show
          Hugh as their son, although their death certificates indicated differently,
          Janes showed -
          William aged 14
          Donald aged 10
          (the informant was janes brother in law)
          in 1913 Janes sisters (both in their 70's) changed the death
          certificate to read-
          Hugh William Robert aged 12
          Donald Joshua aged 8 1/2
          (Sarah is not mentioned)

          On Donalds which was changed 50 years after his death,
          read- Stephen aged 3
                  son deceased
           changed to- by the sister in laws again
          to read-
          Hugh William Robert aged 3
          Daughter deceased.

          Our only assumption being as Hugh died in 1909,
          and his birth and death certificates state him as
          Hugh. That maybe Donald inherited money and
          it had to be proved that he was the only living
          relative on his family. (this is all guess work).
          Donald lived till 1933 and had 10 children himself-
          William 1891
          Olive 1892
          May 1895
          Isabel 1896
          Gertrude 1899
          Donald 1901
          Archibald 1903
          Margaret 1906
          Twins deceased.
          Donald (jnr) death certificates shows
          born vic
          29 victoria
          40 years in NSW
          married in SA age 25 to Eliza Green
          occupation miner

          Well little more than a skeleton at the moment,
          hope to add more coverage in time.
          Fran, Knoxfield Victoria