Introduction

  • oduibne777
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2004
      Hi everyone
      My name is Katrina Smythe. My mother was a Campbell and I have so far
      traced her grandfather John Campbell to Glasgow. All I know is he
      arrived in Australia before 1896 when he married Ellen Elizabeth
      Giles in Sydney. His parents were John Campbell and Adelaide
      MacIntyre (from his marriage certificate). I've found IGI entries for
      his birth, his parents' marriage and 2 siblings.
      My grandfather's name was Adam John or John Adam but known as Jack.
      born 1905, died 1975. His siblings were:
      Alexander born 1896 served in WWI in AIF, I believe he married
      Hanorah P Linkenbach in 1920;
      William F born 1902 married but don't know who to;
      Ellen Elizabeth born 1917 married Maurice Bennett;
      James born after 1918 (someone who looked for him on the 1918 bdm cd
      couldn't find him) married Jean (can't find their marriage either).
      There were 2 others who died very young.
      I'm hoping someone here may know of these Campbells.
      The 3 brothers apart from my grandfather had a paint factory called
      Brigadier Paints in Waterloo and later Mortlake, Sydney.
      My grandfather had a falling out with his brothers over unions and
      walked out of the business, to become active in the Brewer's union.
      I think Mum saw her cousins as a child but when we were young there
      was no contact to speak of. In the few years before Mum died in 1992
      she did spend some time with Jim and his wife Jean. I've spent $$$$
      on phone calls trying to find them where I thought they lived but no
      luck. I really hope I'm not too late. I'm still getting over finding
      out that 3 of Mum's aunts and uncles on her Mum's side died in the
      last few years, one only last year aged 94.
      There are 2 of Mum's brothers still alive. I have gotten some info
      from them and am waiting on certificates etc from them. They both
      seem to find it hard to talk about the past and their sister has no
      interest at all.
      Regards
      Katrina
    • Gillian
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2004
        How about adding your Campbells to our Database on the list (under
        FILES on the yahooo page).
        Some day we may be able to list every Campbell and help
        reserchers!

        Gillian
        o> Hi everyone
        o> My name is Katrina Smythe. My mother was a Campbell and I have so far
        o> traced her grandfather John Campbell to Glasgow. All I know is he
        o> arrived in Australia before 1896 when he married Ellen Elizabeth
        o> Giles in Sydney. His parents were John Campbell and Adelaide
        o> MacIntyre (from his marriage certificate). I've found IGI entries for
        o> his birth, his parents' marriage and 2 siblings.
        o> My grandfather's name was Adam John or John Adam but known as Jack.
        o> born 1905, died 1975. His siblings were:
        o> Alexander born 1896 served in WWI in AIF, I believe he married
        o> Hanorah P Linkenbach in 1920;
        o> William F born 1902 married but don't know who to;
        o> Ellen Elizabeth born 1917 married Maurice Bennett;
        o> James born after 1918 (someone who looked for him on the 1918 bdm cd
        o> couldn't find him) married Jean (can't find their marriage either).
        o> There were 2 others who died very young.
        o> I'm hoping someone here may know of these Campbells.
        o> The 3 brothers apart from my grandfather had a paint factory called
        o> Brigadier Paints in Waterloo and later Mortlake, Sydney.
        o> My grandfather had a falling out with his brothers over unions and
        o> walked out of the business, to become active in the Brewer's union.
        o> I think Mum saw her cousins as a child but when we were young there
        o> was no contact to speak of. In the few years before Mum died in 1992
        o> she did spend some time with Jim and his wife Jean. I've spent $$$$
        o> on phone calls trying to find them where I thought they lived but no
        o> luck. I really hope I'm not too late. I'm still getting over finding
        o> out that 3 of Mum's aunts and uncles on her Mum's side died in the
        o> last few years, one only last year aged 94.
        o> There are 2 of Mum's brothers still alive. I have gotten some info
        o> from them and am waiting on certificates etc from them. They both
        o> seem to find it hard to talk about the past and their sister has no
        o> interest at all.
        o> Regards
        o> Katrina
      • Katrina
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
          On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 07:31:25 +0930, you wrote:

          >How about adding your Campbells to our Database on the list (under
          >FILES on the yahooo page).
          >Some day we may be able to list every Campbell and help
          >reserchers!
          >
          >Gillian

          Hi

          I just started doing the database then it stopped allowing me to enter
          data. When I tried to edit it, I was told I didn't have permission.

          Katrina
          >o> Hi everyone
          >o> My name is Katrina Smythe. My mother was a Campbell and I have so far
          >o> traced her grandfather John Campbell to Glasgow. All I know is he
          >o> arrived in Australia before 1896 when he married Ellen Elizabeth
          >o> Giles in Sydney. His parents were John Campbell and Adelaide
          >o> MacIntyre (from his marriage certificate). I've found IGI entries for
          >o> his birth, his parents' marriage and 2 siblings.
          >o> My grandfather's name was Adam John or John Adam but known as Jack.
          >o> born 1905, died 1975. His siblings were:
          >o> Alexander born 1896 served in WWI in AIF, I believe he married
          >o> Hanorah P Linkenbach in 1920;
          >o> William F born 1902 married but don't know who to;
          >o> Ellen Elizabeth born 1917 married Maurice Bennett;
          >o> James born after 1918 (someone who looked for him on the 1918 bdm cd
          >o> couldn't find him) married Jean (can't find their marriage either).
          >o> There were 2 others who died very young.
          >o> I'm hoping someone here may know of these Campbells.
          >o> The 3 brothers apart from my grandfather had a paint factory called
          >o> Brigadier Paints in Waterloo and later Mortlake, Sydney.
          >o> My grandfather had a falling out with his brothers over unions and
          >o> walked out of the business, to become active in the Brewer's union.
          >o> I think Mum saw her cousins as a child but when we were young there
          >o> was no contact to speak of. In the few years before Mum died in 1992
          >o> she did spend some time with Jim and his wife Jean. I've spent $$$$
          >o> on phone calls trying to find them where I thought they lived but no
          >o> luck. I really hope I'm not too late. I'm still getting over finding
          >o> out that 3 of Mum's aunts and uncles on her Mum's side died in the
          >o> last few years, one only last year aged 94.
          >o> There are 2 of Mum's brothers still alive. I have gotten some info
          >o> from them and am waiting on certificates etc from them. They both
          >o> seem to find it hard to talk about the past and their sister has no
          >o> interest at all.
          >o> Regards
          >o> Katrina
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gillian
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2004
            Hi Katrina,
            that's weird, as another member has entered her details too.. can
            you try again?

            Gillian

          • Katrina
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6, 2004
              Gillian

              I'll try again later tonight or tomorrow.

              Katrina

            • oduibne777
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 13, 2004
                Gillian

                I'm having a hard time with the database. I chose the blank template
                but didn't know what to do next, with the columns etc. The help seems
                to assume prior knowledge of using them. Sorry if I'm being thick!

                Katrina
              • Gillian
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 13, 2004
                  Click DATABASE
                  the Campbell file second down, in the green line is
                  the one. TYo the left is a EDIT or DELETE
                  Click EDIT to add.

                  I was worried it may only be me that could do it, but
                  someoe else (goofychick) has added hers, so it must be
                  accessible to others.
                  best wishes

                  Gillian

                  --- oduibne777 <kesmythe@...> wrote:
                  ---------------------------------

                  Gillian

                  I'm having a hard time with the database. I chose the
                  blank template
                  but didn't know what to do next, with the columns etc.
                  The help seems
                  to assume prior knowledge of using them. Sorry if I'm
                  being thick!

                  Katrina

                  Terms of Service.

                  =====
                  TERAUSTRALIS AUSTRALIAN TERRIERS - www.geocities.com/teraustralis
                  South Australia

                  http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                • cmcbey6006
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 13, 2004
                    Hi Katrina,

                    You need to click on the "Campbells" on the green line which opens
                    up the database, then click on "add record". I think this should
                    work.

                    Cathy.

                    --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, Katrina <kesmythe@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > Sorry, but it says I don't have permission to edit it.
                    >
                    > Katrina
                    >
                    > >Click DATABASE
                    > >the Campbell file second down, in the green line is
                    > >the one. TYo the left is a EDIT or DELETE
                    > >Click EDIT to add.
                    > >
                    > >I was worried it may only be me that could do it, but
                    > >someoe else (goofychick) has added hers, so it must be
                    > >accessible to others.
                    > >best wishes
                    > >
                    > >Gillian
                    > >

                    > > --- oduibne777 <kesmythe@h...> wrote:
                    > >---------------------------------
                    > >
                    > >Gillian
                    > >
                    > >I'm having a hard time with the database. I chose the
                    > >blank template
                    > >but didn't know what to do next, with the columns etc.
                    > >The help seems
                    > >to assume prior knowledge of using them. Sorry if I'm
                    > >being thick!
                    > >
                    > >Katrina

                    > >Terms of Service.
                    > >

                    > >=====
                    -----------------
                    > >TERAUSTRALIS AUSTRALIAN TERRIERS - www.geocities.com/teraustralis
                    > >South Australia
                    > >
                    > >Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
                    > >http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                    > >

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Gillian
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 13, 2004
                      Hi Katrina,
                      As someone else had added to it, I thought it was all go!! Sorry ;-(
                      I have now read the instructions, and found I gave to go in to the EDIT function and set it so that anyone else can add records.

                      It should be all go now - hope everyoe adds all their rellies!

                      Thanks for persevering with it,

                      Gillian
                    • Cathy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
                        I have just added a bunch of my Campbell's to the database by just clicking on "Campbell's" and then "Add Record". Seemed to work OK.

                        Good luck,
                        Cathy.
                        As someone else had added to it, I thought it was all go!! Sorry ;-(
                        I have now read the instructions, and found I gave to go in to the EDIT function and set it so that anyone else can add records.

                        It should be all go now - hope everyoe adds all their rellies!

                        Thanks for persevering with it,

                        Gillian

                        Scanned by PeNiCillin http://safe-t-net.pnc.com.au/

                      • Gillian
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 14, 2004
                          Thanks for adding your records Cathy, let's hope we
                          eventually have a roll call of every Campbell who ever
                          existed! It may help others in their search - there
                          MUST be connections somewhere!

                          Gillian
                          -

                          http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                        • oduibne777
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 17, 2004
                            Hello Gillian

                            Finally had time tonight to do it and it worked fine, but I think
                            there's too much info in the children column, it looks messy!

                            Thanks for hosting this group, it's a great idea.

                            Kind regards
                            Katrina

                            > Hi Katrina,
                            > As someone else had added to it, I thought it was all go!! Sorry ;-
                            (
                            > I have now read the instructions, and found I gave to go in to the
                            EDIT function and set it so that anyone else can add records.

                            > It should be all go now - hope everyoe adds all their rellies!
                            >
                            > Thanks for persevering with it,
                            >
                            > Gillian
                          • Gillian
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 17, 2004
                              Hi Katrina,
                              whether messy or not, ANY information what helps is a
                              treasure!

                              I hope every with a campbell connection will add to
                              it, I find there are so many Campbells, especially
                              with the same first name, that it would be great to
                              have one large resource to consult.

                              Gillian

                              http://au.movies.yahoo.com