Re: Ireland to USA via Australia

  • Gillian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2004
      I am sure there was as much traffic going from one place to another
      than just migration from Ireland/UK to USA or Australia. I have a
      great grandfather Elijah James Price who was born in St John, New
      Brunswick, Newfoundland and he married and lived in Geelong,
      Victoria (Australia) - gold must have been the lure.
      Another ancestor - Thomas Johnston - was born in Antrim, but it has been
      suggested he came via USA as we can find no trace of him coming from
      Antrim to Australia. There was so much interaction between the two
      gold-rush places. I was brought up in Ballarat, a gold-mining town
      in Victoria but found there is also a Ballarat in California, named
      by people who had mined here. (Ballarat is an Australian Aboriginal
      word meaning 'bend in the river')
      I have a book by Norman Bartlett called
      THE GOLD SEEKERS which mentions the Australian gold miners in San
      Francisco being obnoxious and a couple of them were hanged.. There is
      an American River near Ballarat, many of the mines had American names..
      Gillian
      South Australia
    • Neil Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2004
        V18531238 56/1853CAMPBELLGEORGE A Parents -GEORGE -MARY
        Extract for a birth in NSW.
        Long shot for you but obtaining a certificate could help.

        Fran