      From: gwenethmyers <gwenethmyers@...>
      To: CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, 12 February 2013, 7:03
      Subject: [CampbellsAustralia] Re: Campbells in Victoria

      Hello Peter
      My Campbells came from Findochty so it is possible you are connected to our family further back. Our Ann Campbell was born in Findochty in 1833 and married a Peter McKENZIE in Peterhead. She came to Australia in 1861. Your grandfather would be a generation after hers. Her people were white fishers. There are a lot of Williams and Alexanders in her family including her brothers. Other names married into this line are FLETT, THAIN, SUTHERLAND, SMITH, GARDENER, GAPPY. Do you know your grandfather's parents' names?
      Cheers
      Gwen Myers
      Melbourne
      And a new member of the group.

      --- In CampbellsAustralia@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Campbell" wrote:

      > Hello to the forum
      >
      > We are hoping that we may be able to get some help through the forum about
      > our family history.
      >
      > My grandfather was William Campbell (b 1881) in Findochty Banffshire
      > Scotland.
      >
      > His parents and siblings also came out to Victoria in 1917. William had come
      > out several years before as he married my grandmother Myrtle Thorburn in
      > 1915.
      >
      > They must have been living in Paynesville Victoria going by records and a
      > letter that we have.
      >
      > The only one we do know about was William's youngest sister, Henrietta
      > Hillsley Campbell (b 1902) who had married Thomas Mentiplay and died in
      > 1992. This Thomas we see was born in Paynesville.
      >
      > William's brother Alexander (b 1887) drowned at see as Master of a ship
      > coming to Australia.
      >

      > It looked like there is a good chance that at least most of the family came
      > here.
      >

      > The family comprised:
      >
      > James (b 1852)
      >
      > Maria
      >
      > Isabella (Bella) (b 1898)
      >
      > Henrietta (Rita) (b 1902)
      >
      > John (b 1894)
      >
      > James (b 1885)
      >
      > Maria (b 1883) and Her son William Downie Smith (b 1912)(she
      > was widowed)
      >
      > William (b 1881)
      >
      > Jane (b 1878)
      >
      > Ann (b 1876)
      >

      > We would be most appreciative of any information about them.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Peter Campbell
      >
      > West Australia

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic