RE: [CalontirDance] Troika & Other dances sent to the farm

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
      Thanks everybody. Your responses are like the hug you need when the day sneaks up and jumps you for your spare change. I get flustered sometimes. I'm emotional, connected and passionate. This has it's notably good and bad points.

      Constantia - wahoo go Calontir street cred!

      Yes Christian, it does baffle me. I have this unshakable belief that I'm talking to rational people, and that all people are trustworthy, and have basically good intentions. This gets me into trouble often. I'm just not the cynic I need to be. :)

      One of the things that got my attention was Ermenrich saying he didn't know for 2 years that some dances weren't period. (It's the reason that we did Dance Jeopardy this year) To quote GI Joe "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle" Lack of awareness is one of my biggest frustrations and why I'm so vocal about period dance. I remember being devastated when I began to learn about which dances were and weren't period. I did not learn this in a nice way. Since then I have worked hard to make other people's experience with dance nicer and more fun. I don't deride, I try to inform and I hope it works. Less devastation, more dancey boing!
      If we 'catch em' early and get period dance into their repertoire then they'll be telling me that they'll do Piantone, Villanella, or Confesse at their wedding instead. I fully believe that of the first 5 dances you learn, 2 will become your lifetime favorites. If the first five you learn are period dances, then the ones you'll be begging to do will be period dances....easy, peasy, done. We'll be doing the dances they love and no one feels 'robbed of fun'. It's the dancer catch and release program!

      Tsire (the apparently long winded)

    • Becky Buchanan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
        What a great thread! Does this mean "Hole in the Wall" can go to the farm? If so, I'll drive the tractor that takes it there.

        Also, love this quote of Tsire's:
        "If the first five you learn are period dances, then the ones you'll be begging to do will be period dances....easy, peasy, done. We'll be doing the dances they love and no one feels 'robbed of fun'. It's the dancer catch and release program!"

        As you know Tsire, we in Mag Mor are starting bi-weekly dance practice in our Barony, beginning tomorrow. The lovely Sara Sophia is teaching Carolingian "Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie." I love that song and yes, it's one of the first dance music songs I learned to play, so I guess it hooked me. I don't know who else is showing up tomorrow and the only thing I think I would be remotely qualified to teach would be one Branle. Hopefully, I won't scar anyone for life with my rendition of Horse's Branle. Maybe we'll only do two songs. So what are your top 5 songs for getting new dancers on the right track with period dances? Anyone else want to volunteer their top 5 favorite "catch and release" songs for new dancers?

        Thanks,

        Emelye

        Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Matt Lagemann
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
          My top song is "Gathering Peascods." It is simple, fun, and the chorus gets stuck in your head for days. In the end I think English Country is the first "type" of dance to teach. Since it has a standard pattern for the verses, people can feel comfortable with it. I recently taught some dances to a Roundevous group in the area and used EC dances so they all had a common theme. It seemed to work well.

          Ermenrich

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
            Emelye said:
            So what are your top 5 songs for getting new dancers on the right track with period dances? Anyone else want to volunteer their top 5 favorite "catch and release" songs for new dancers?

            Okay so here's my top 10

            Carolingian Pavanne
            Pavanne
            Beginner
            Couples in a Line

            Black Alman
            Alman
            Easy
            Couples in a Line

            LyBens Dystonis
            Early English
            Beginner
            Couples in a Line

            Pease Bransle
            Bransle
            Beginner
            Couples in a Circle

            Scotch Cap
            ECD
            Easy
            3 Couples in a Line

            Gathering Peascods
            ECD
            Easy
            Couples in a Circle

            Piantone
            Game
            Easy
            Wheel of Couples

            Anello
            15th C Ital
            Beginner
            2 Couples Facing One Another

            Contrapsso in Due
            16th C. Ital
            Beginner
            Couples in a Line

            Vilanella
            16th C. Ital
            Easy
            Couples in a Line
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
              ChazCon wrote:
              > I hear you, Tsire...
              >
              > Yeah, it sucks, and I can see why you are baffled that this makes you "the bad guy". Many, many people just can't hack hearing the words "No, not today" without acting the victim. Even when you're just trying to "up" the coolness factor by promoting the time period we are supposed to be interested in.

              I have a theory on why people might get grumpy. If they don't dance
              that often they may fall into the category of:

              a) we did it long ago

              b) it's the only one I remember a) by name b) the steps to c) enjoying

              c) I don't attend regular practices and dances so I don't know that it's
              fallen out of favor... or more importantly... why.

              d) I don't attend regular anything, so when I get a chance to dance
              you're a jerk if you don't dance my favorite one... I mean.. you get to
              dance all the time.

              Of course, if (any of) this is true, it doesn't make it any easier to
              deal with *sigh*. It's not like you can tell them to 'get with the
              program, chum' and have that go over well :(

              > I have noticed at wars that Calontir has a larger number of "period" tents and people in "period" shoes than many other kingdoms. I like adding "period" dances to that little list.

              That's a good attitude to have.... period.
            • Lady Neathery of Safita
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                Neathery
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                  She's my heroin too. Seeing her and Delric tonight was a real shot in
                  the arm... A real pick me up. I was jonesin' bad, and I got my fix.
                  Oh wait. You said heroine. My bad.

                  Lady Neathery of Safita wrote:
                  > I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                  > guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                  > you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                  > Neathery

                  // Merry

                  ----------
                  'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                • ChazCon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                    HAH!!!
                    you DAMN funny!
                    She's my heroin too. Seeing her and Delric tonight was a real shot in
                    the arm... A real pick me up. I was jonesin' bad, and I got my fix.
                    Oh wait. You said heroine. My bad.

                    Lady Neathery of Safita wrote:
                    > I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                    > guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                    > you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                    > Neathery

                    // Merry

                    'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre