Re: [CalontirDance] Troika & Other dances sent to the farm

  • ChazCon
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
      I hear you, Tsire...

      Yeah, it sucks, and I can see why you are baffled that this makes you "the bad guy". Many, many people just can't hack hearing the words "No, not today" without acting the victim. Even when you're just trying to "up" the coolness factor by promoting the time period we are supposed to be interested in.

      I agree, completely, with your attempts to promote dances that are more appropriate to what we are trying to accomplish, as a group, overall. I am also glad that you continue to do what you do, in spite of some negative reactions that you may receive. If what you are doing was easy, it would probably have been done by now.

      By the way, at Gulf Wars this year, Master Octavio (whom I love with all my heart) was bragging, rather gleefully, about never having to play several of the goop songs we were playing at the ball, because "in TRIMARIS, we don't DO these dances".
      Well, I got to brag back to him, that "in CALONTIR, we don't play them EITHER!"
      (well, at least not too much, lately!)

      I have noticed at wars that Calontir has a larger number of "period" tents and people in "period" shoes than many other kingdoms. I like adding "period" dances to that little list.

      So...thanks, Tsire.

      Constantia
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
        Thanks everybody. Your responses are like the hug you need when the day sneaks up and jumps you for your spare change. I get flustered sometimes. I'm emotional, connected and passionate. This has it's notably good and bad points.

        Constantia - wahoo go Calontir street cred!

        Yes Christian, it does baffle me. I have this unshakable belief that I'm talking to rational people, and that all people are trustworthy, and have basically good intentions. This gets me into trouble often. I'm just not the cynic I need to be. :)

        One of the things that got my attention was Ermenrich saying he didn't know for 2 years that some dances weren't period. (It's the reason that we did Dance Jeopardy this year) To quote GI Joe "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle" Lack of awareness is one of my biggest frustrations and why I'm so vocal about period dance. I remember being devastated when I began to learn about which dances were and weren't period. I did not learn this in a nice way. Since then I have worked hard to make other people's experience with dance nicer and more fun. I don't deride, I try to inform and I hope it works. Less devastation, more dancey boing!
        If we 'catch em' early and get period dance into their repertoire then they'll be telling me that they'll do Piantone, Villanella, or Confesse at their wedding instead. I fully believe that of the first 5 dances you learn, 2 will become your lifetime favorites. If the first five you learn are period dances, then the ones you'll be begging to do will be period dances....easy, peasy, done. We'll be doing the dances they love and no one feels 'robbed of fun'. It's the dancer catch and release program!

        Tsire (the apparently long winded)

      • Becky Buchanan
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
          What a great thread! Does this mean "Hole in the Wall" can go to the farm? If so, I'll drive the tractor that takes it there.

          Also, love this quote of Tsire's:
          "If the first five you learn are period dances, then the ones you'll be begging to do will be period dances....easy, peasy, done. We'll be doing the dances they love and no one feels 'robbed of fun'. It's the dancer catch and release program!"

          As you know Tsire, we in Mag Mor are starting bi-weekly dance practice in our Barony, beginning tomorrow. The lovely Sara Sophia is teaching Carolingian "Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie." I love that song and yes, it's one of the first dance music songs I learned to play, so I guess it hooked me. I don't know who else is showing up tomorrow and the only thing I think I would be remotely qualified to teach would be one Branle. Hopefully, I won't scar anyone for life with my rendition of Horse's Branle. Maybe we'll only do two songs. So what are your top 5 songs for getting new dancers on the right track with period dances? Anyone else want to volunteer their top 5 favorite "catch and release" songs for new dancers?

          Thanks,

          Emelye

          Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Matt Lagemann
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
            My top song is "Gathering Peascods." It is simple, fun, and the chorus gets stuck in your head for days. In the end I think English Country is the first "type" of dance to teach. Since it has a standard pattern for the verses, people can feel comfortable with it. I recently taught some dances to a Roundevous group in the area and used EC dances so they all had a common theme. It seemed to work well.

            Ermenrich

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
              Emelye said:
              So what are your top 5 songs for getting new dancers on the right track with period dances? Anyone else want to volunteer their top 5 favorite "catch and release" songs for new dancers?

              Okay so here's my top 10

              Carolingian Pavanne
              Pavanne
              Beginner
              Couples in a Line

              Black Alman
              Alman
              Easy
              Couples in a Line

              LyBens Dystonis
              Early English
              Beginner
              Couples in a Line

              Pease Bransle
              Bransle
              Beginner
              Couples in a Circle

              Scotch Cap
              ECD
              Easy
              3 Couples in a Line

              Gathering Peascods
              ECD
              Easy
              Couples in a Circle

              Piantone
              Game
              Easy
              Wheel of Couples

              Anello
              15th C Ital
              Beginner
              2 Couples Facing One Another

              Contrapsso in Due
              16th C. Ital
              Beginner
              Couples in a Line

              Vilanella
              16th C. Ital
              Easy
              Couples in a Line
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                ChazCon wrote:
                > I hear you, Tsire...
                >
                > Yeah, it sucks, and I can see why you are baffled that this makes you "the bad guy". Many, many people just can't hack hearing the words "No, not today" without acting the victim. Even when you're just trying to "up" the coolness factor by promoting the time period we are supposed to be interested in.

                I have a theory on why people might get grumpy. If they don't dance
                that often they may fall into the category of:

                a) we did it long ago

                b) it's the only one I remember a) by name b) the steps to c) enjoying

                c) I don't attend regular practices and dances so I don't know that it's
                fallen out of favor... or more importantly... why.

                d) I don't attend regular anything, so when I get a chance to dance
                you're a jerk if you don't dance my favorite one... I mean.. you get to
                dance all the time.

                Of course, if (any of) this is true, it doesn't make it any easier to
                deal with *sigh*. It's not like you can tell them to 'get with the
                program, chum' and have that go over well :(

                > I have noticed at wars that Calontir has a larger number of "period" tents and people in "period" shoes than many other kingdoms. I like adding "period" dances to that little list.

                That's a good attitude to have.... period.
              • Lady Neathery of Safita
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                  I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                  guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                  you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                  Neathery
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                    She's my heroin too. Seeing her and Delric tonight was a real shot in
                    the arm... A real pick me up. I was jonesin' bad, and I got my fix.
                    Oh wait. You said heroine. My bad.

                    Lady Neathery of Safita wrote:
                    > I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                    > guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                    > you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                    > Neathery

                    // Merry

                    ----------
                    'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                  • ChazCon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                      HAH!!!
                      you DAMN funny!
                      She's my heroin too. Seeing her and Delric tonight was a real shot in
                      the arm... A real pick me up. I was jonesin' bad, and I got my fix.
                      Oh wait. You said heroine. My bad.

                      Lady Neathery of Safita wrote:
                      > I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                      > guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                      > you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                      > Neathery

                      // Merry

                      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre