Re: [CalontirDance] Troika & Other dances sent to the farm

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2008
      Heh.. I've never considered you the bad guy. It's your spirit that has
      prompted me to wish to be better informed. Ignorance is not _always_
      my preferred state of existance... only if it's blissful ignorance.
      Once it stops being blissful, then it needs to be nipped in the
      proverbial bud (that's just to the left of the real bud and quite a bit
      smaller so most people miss it at first glance.. .it's there... I've had
      several women tell me so. I'm taking their word of course. Ah..
      Ignorance can be bliss).

      Tsire Tuzevo wrote:
      > Christian and List
      >
      > argh! star trek! I spit hot coffee! Too funny.
      >
      > and now for the serious portion of our show....
      >
      > To send a dance out to the farm where it can play out it's remaining years is a great thing. This is, believe it or not, my favored method of making more period dance happen. As vocal as I seem about topic, you will rarely find me on lists discussing it, and you will never find me discussing it unbidden.
      >
      > Here is the major place that I get stuck. If you don't teach a dance and don't mention a dance, what do you do when someone asks you specifically why you don't do it? Well, I try to explain why I made that choice and why it makes sense for me. I try to be rational and factual and gently make my point. However, when I do this, I am met with whining, complaining, incendiary language, frustration, anger, and endless mind-numbing, antactid-requiring debates.
      >
      > It baffles me that my opinion and explanation of my choices can seem so much like 'fightin' words' to some. It confuses me further that a bid to do more period things in a history club is seen as such a negative thing. I've never asked that people stop doing these dances altogether. I've asked that people be educated as to what they really are doing. I've asked them to think critically about the choices they make. I choose not to dance, teach, include in a ball list, or otherwise encourage the propagation of out of period dances. It's my opinion, I'm entitled to it. If you ask me about it, I'll tell you. If you don't, I won't.
      >
      > How am I the bad guy here?
      >
      > Any help from any of you on this list would be appreciated here. I really want to know how to get my opinion across and to encourage period dance while never again being revered to as a Nazi.
      >
      > Tsire
      > The tired, frustrated, antacid chomping dance monkey.

      // Merry

      ----------
      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

    • Conna
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
        Dearest Tsire, you've long been my hero in all this. I've never ever
        heard you say you refuse to do this-or-that dance. But I have seen you
        make some wonderful suggestions. When a newer dancer walks up, bouncing
        up and down with excitement, and asks for you to do, say, Hole in the
        Wall as the next dance, you flash your dimples and say--How about
        [insert name of more appropriate progression dance here--sorry, I'm
        still on my first cup of coffee].

        I've always admired that ability. And it leaves the person still bouncy
        and excited, and off we go on another lovely dance.

        Thanks for keeping it fun!

        Conna

        On Tuesday, April 22, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Tsire Tuzevo wrote:

        > Christian and List
        >
        > argh! star trek! I spit hot coffee! Too funny.
        >
        > and now for the serious portion of our show....
        >
        > To send a dance out to the farm where it can play out it's remaining
        > years is a great thing. This is, believe it or not, my favored method
        > of making more period dance happen. As vocal as I seem about topic,
        > you will rarely find me on lists discussing it, and you will never
        > find me discussing it unbidden.
        >
        > Here is the major place that I get stuck. If you don't teach a dance
        > and don't mention a dance, what do you do when someone asks you
        > specifically why you don't do it? Well, I try to explain why I made
        > that choice and why it makes sense for me. I try to be rational and
        > factual and gently make my point. However, when I do this, I am met
        > with whining, complaining, incendiary language, frustration, anger,
        > and endless mind-numbing, antactid-requiring debates.
        >
        > It baffles me that my opinion and explanation of my choices can seem
        > so much like 'fightin' words' to some. It confuses me further that a
        > bid to do more period things in a history club is seen as such a
        > negative thing. I've never asked that people stop doing these dances
        > altogether. I've asked that people be educated as to what they really
        > are doing. I've asked them to think critically about the choices they
        > make. I choose not to dance, teach, include in a ball list, or
        > otherwise encourage the propagation of out of period dances. It's my
        > opinion, I'm entitled to it. If you ask me about it, I'll tell you. If
        > you don't, I won't.
        >
        > How am I the bad guy here?
        >
        > Any help from any of you on this list would be appreciated here. I
        > really want to know how to get my opinion across and to encourage
        > period dance while never again being revered to as a Nazi.
        >
        > Tsire
        > The tired, frustrated, antacid chomping dance monkey.

      • ChazCon
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
          I hear you, Tsire...

          Yeah, it sucks, and I can see why you are baffled that this makes you "the bad guy". Many, many people just can't hack hearing the words "No, not today" without acting the victim. Even when you're just trying to "up" the coolness factor by promoting the time period we are supposed to be interested in.

          I agree, completely, with your attempts to promote dances that are more appropriate to what we are trying to accomplish, as a group, overall. I am also glad that you continue to do what you do, in spite of some negative reactions that you may receive. If what you are doing was easy, it would probably have been done by now.

          By the way, at Gulf Wars this year, Master Octavio (whom I love with all my heart) was bragging, rather gleefully, about never having to play several of the goop songs we were playing at the ball, because "in TRIMARIS, we don't DO these dances".
          Well, I got to brag back to him, that "in CALONTIR, we don't play them EITHER!"
          (well, at least not too much, lately!)

          I have noticed at wars that Calontir has a larger number of "period" tents and people in "period" shoes than many other kingdoms. I like adding "period" dances to that little list.

          So...thanks, Tsire.

          Constantia

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
            Thanks everybody. Your responses are like the hug you need when the day sneaks up and jumps you for your spare change. I get flustered sometimes. I'm emotional, connected and passionate. This has it's notably good and bad points.

            Constantia - wahoo go Calontir street cred!

            Yes Christian, it does baffle me. I have this unshakable belief that I'm talking to rational people, and that all people are trustworthy, and have basically good intentions. This gets me into trouble often. I'm just not the cynic I need to be. :)

            One of the things that got my attention was Ermenrich saying he didn't know for 2 years that some dances weren't period. (It's the reason that we did Dance Jeopardy this year) To quote GI Joe "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle" Lack of awareness is one of my biggest frustrations and why I'm so vocal about period dance. I remember being devastated when I began to learn about which dances were and weren't period. I did not learn this in a nice way. Since then I have worked hard to make other people's experience with dance nicer and more fun. I don't deride, I try to inform and I hope it works. Less devastation, more dancey boing!
            If we 'catch em' early and get period dance into their repertoire then they'll be telling me that they'll do Piantone, Villanella, or Confesse at their wedding instead. I fully believe that of the first 5 dances you learn, 2 will become your lifetime favorites. If the first five you learn are period dances, then the ones you'll be begging to do will be period dances....easy, peasy, done. We'll be doing the dances they love and no one feels 'robbed of fun'. It's the dancer catch and release program!

            Tsire (the apparently long winded)

          • Becky Buchanan
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
              What a great thread! Does this mean "Hole in the Wall" can go to the farm? If so, I'll drive the tractor that takes it there.

              Also, love this quote of Tsire's:
              "If the first five you learn are period dances, then the ones you'll be begging to do will be period dances....easy, peasy, done. We'll be doing the dances they love and no one feels 'robbed of fun'. It's the dancer catch and release program!"

              As you know Tsire, we in Mag Mor are starting bi-weekly dance practice in our Barony, beginning tomorrow. The lovely Sara Sophia is teaching Carolingian "Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie." I love that song and yes, it's one of the first dance music songs I learned to play, so I guess it hooked me. I don't know who else is showing up tomorrow and the only thing I think I would be remotely qualified to teach would be one Branle. Hopefully, I won't scar anyone for life with my rendition of Horse's Branle. Maybe we'll only do two songs. So what are your top 5 songs for getting new dancers on the right track with period dances? Anyone else want to volunteer their top 5 favorite "catch and release" songs for new dancers?

              Thanks,

              Emelye

              Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Matt Lagemann
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                My top song is "Gathering Peascods." It is simple, fun, and the chorus gets stuck in your head for days. In the end I think English Country is the first "type" of dance to teach. Since it has a standard pattern for the verses, people can feel comfortable with it. I recently taught some dances to a Roundevous group in the area and used EC dances so they all had a common theme. It seemed to work well.

                Ermenrich

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                  Emelye said:
                  So what are your top 5 songs for getting new dancers on the right track with period dances? Anyone else want to volunteer their top 5 favorite "catch and release" songs for new dancers?

                  Okay so here's my top 10

                  Carolingian Pavanne
                  Pavanne
                  Beginner
                  Couples in a Line

                  Black Alman
                  Alman
                  Easy
                  Couples in a Line

                  LyBens Dystonis
                  Early English
                  Beginner
                  Couples in a Line

                  Pease Bransle
                  Bransle
                  Beginner
                  Couples in a Circle

                  Scotch Cap
                  ECD
                  Easy
                  3 Couples in a Line

                  Gathering Peascods
                  ECD
                  Easy
                  Couples in a Circle

                  Piantone
                  Game
                  Easy
                  Wheel of Couples

                  Anello
                  15th C Ital
                  Beginner
                  2 Couples Facing One Another

                  Contrapsso in Due
                  16th C. Ital
                  Beginner
                  Couples in a Line

                  Vilanella
                  16th C. Ital
                  Easy
                  Couples in a Line
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
                    ChazCon wrote:
                    > I hear you, Tsire...
                    >
                    > Yeah, it sucks, and I can see why you are baffled that this makes you "the bad guy". Many, many people just can't hack hearing the words "No, not today" without acting the victim. Even when you're just trying to "up" the coolness factor by promoting the time period we are supposed to be interested in.

                    I have a theory on why people might get grumpy. If they don't dance
                    that often they may fall into the category of:

                    a) we did it long ago

                    b) it's the only one I remember a) by name b) the steps to c) enjoying

                    c) I don't attend regular practices and dances so I don't know that it's
                    fallen out of favor... or more importantly... why.

                    d) I don't attend regular anything, so when I get a chance to dance
                    you're a jerk if you don't dance my favorite one... I mean.. you get to
                    dance all the time.

                    Of course, if (any of) this is true, it doesn't make it any easier to
                    deal with *sigh*. It's not like you can tell them to 'get with the
                    program, chum' and have that go over well :(

                    > I have noticed at wars that Calontir has a larger number of "period" tents and people in "period" shoes than many other kingdoms. I like adding "period" dances to that little list.

                    That's a good attitude to have.... period.
                  • Lady Neathery of Safita
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                      I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                      guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                      you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                      Neathery
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                        She's my heroin too. Seeing her and Delric tonight was a real shot in
                        the arm... A real pick me up. I was jonesin' bad, and I got my fix.
                        Oh wait. You said heroine. My bad.

                        Lady Neathery of Safita wrote:
                        > I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                        > guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                        > you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                        > Neathery

                        // Merry

                        ----------

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 25, 2008
                          HAH!!!
                          you DAMN funny!
                          She's my heroin too. Seeing her and Delric tonight was a real shot in
                          the arm... A real pick me up. I was jonesin' bad, and I got my fix.
                          Oh wait. You said heroine. My bad.

                          Lady Neathery of Safita wrote:
                          > I got just my digest of the conversation and I want to say I love you
                          > guys! I am so glad that we are having this discussion and Tsire ..
                          > you are absolutely my heroine!!!
                          > Neathery

                          // Merry

                          'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre