Turning in the Pavan

  • Eridani Aurus
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
      In Arbeau
      "Sometimes, the hall is so thronged with a multitude
      of guests that the space for dancing is limited and
      therefore when you near the end of the room you are
      faced with two alternatives, either you, and the
      damsel with whom you are dancing, must move backwards
      or you must make a conversion....you continue to guide
      the damsel forward while you yourself move backwards
      as she advances until you are facing in the opposite
      direction from which you started. ...In my opinion,
      it is better to make the conversion, in order that the
      damsel may always see where she is going. Because if
      she were to meet with some mishap while going
      backwards, she might fall, a mishap for which you
      would receive blame and suffer a rapid decline from
      her good graces. And so, it seems to me this practice
      should always be followed in the pavan when one wishes
      to take two or three turns around the room."
      pg 58 Orcheseography by Thoinot Arbeau trans Mary
      Stewart Evans

      Thanks Be to Dover Publishing!!!!
      Eridani Aureaus

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Debbie Sullentrup
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 23, 2008
        Hi Tsire, I have a request from one of my friends for the ball set so she can get some attendies from Vatavia "jumping". Can you email it to me for her? :) Helena.

        Tsire Tuzevo <tsire@...> wrote: In my experience, you can turn a pavanne. You simply 'bend' your line before you run out of room and do the dance in a more oval rather than linear shape. This does mean that one partner will take larger steps as one takes smaller steps in order to curve the line where necessary. For preference, turn your line counter clockwise. This creates an opportunity for the Lord to take larger steps and the Lady to take smaller ones while curving. This seems to play well into the dancer's natural gait tendencies as well.

        I hope this helps, and keep the questions coming
        Tsire

        To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: sarasophiavonkolmar@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:48:12 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

        Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach. I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?Thanks again,Sara SophiaTo: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: tsire@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this
        listSaraSophia,Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.Tsire__________________________________________________________Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________Get in touch in an instant. Get Windows Live Messenger now.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_getintouch_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Debbie Sullentrup

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
            Replied.
            Conna

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
              I'll add that Josephina (This year's ball runner) took some great time and care to make handouts and cds for practice. I'd suggest you contact her for information. Please do not forget that two dances in her packet have been replaced.

              Tsire

              http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08