RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

  • Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21 11:48 AM
      Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach.

      I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.

      Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?

      Thanks again,
      Sara Sophia

      To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.com
      From: tsire@...
      Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500
      Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

      SaraSophia,

      Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21 12:04 PM
        I am for one rather amused that Master Conrad posted that website w/o
        the standard disclaimer against Hole in the Wall. I made my case again
        over supper at Bellewode, but the mean ole' Laurels just wouldn't
        budge... even if it was with new more appropriate/period/etc
        choreography... not even if we called it Purcell's Hornpipe so that
        there was no ambiguity about which dance was being done/played. Oh
        well. I think it's probably my love of Irish music (hornpipes being
        my favorite followed by jigs and slip-jigs) and the fact that this was
        the first piece I learned to play, and that I was never forced to play
        it in a pit 43,342,234,345,984.7 times. *sigh*

        I'm just glad that there's so much other music to love and really enjoy.

        I'd never run across these resources before and will have to transfer
        them to mp3 before including them in my arsenal. Anyone else in the
        same boat that would like copies (properly attributed of course!) rather
        than redo the work?

        Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar wrote:
        > Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach.
        >
        > I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.
        >
        > Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Sara Sophia
        >

        > To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.com
        > From: tsire@...
        > Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500
        > Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

        > SaraSophia,
        >

        > Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.

        // Merry

        ----------
        'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21 12:05 PM
          In my experience, you can turn a pavanne. You simply 'bend' your line before you run out of room and do the dance in a more oval rather than linear shape. This does mean that one partner will take larger steps as one takes smaller steps in order to curve the line where necessary. For preference, turn your line counter clockwise. This creates an opportunity for the Lord to take larger steps and the Lady to take smaller ones while curving. This seems to play well into the dancer's natural gait tendencies as well.

          I hope this helps, and keep the questions coming
          Tsire

          To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: sarasophiavonkolmar@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:48:12 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

          Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach. I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?Thanks again,Sara SophiaTo: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: tsire@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this listSaraSophia,Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.Tsire__________________________________________________________Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________Get in touch in an instant. Get Windows Live Messenger now.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_getintouch_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Eridani Aurus
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 21 2:19 PM
            In Arbeau
            "Sometimes, the hall is so thronged with a multitude
            of guests that the space for dancing is limited and
            therefore when you near the end of the room you are
            faced with two alternatives, either you, and the
            damsel with whom you are dancing, must move backwards
            or you must make a conversion....you continue to guide
            the damsel forward while you yourself move backwards
            as she advances until you are facing in the opposite
            direction from which you started. ...In my opinion,
            it is better to make the conversion, in order that the
            damsel may always see where she is going. Because if
            she were to meet with some mishap while going
            backwards, she might fall, a mishap for which you
            would receive blame and suffer a rapid decline from
            her good graces. And so, it seems to me this practice
            should always be followed in the pavan when one wishes
            to take two or three turns around the room."
            pg 58 Orcheseography by Thoinot Arbeau trans Mary
            Stewart Evans

            Thanks Be to Dover Publishing!!!!
            Eridani Aureaus

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Debbie Sullentrup

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 24 6:54 AM
                  Replied.
                  Conna

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 24 7:19 AM
                    I'll add that Josephina (This year's ball runner) took some great time and care to make handouts and cds for practice. I'd suggest you contact her for information. Please do not forget that two dances in her packet have been replaced.

                    Tsire

                    http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08