RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
      Sara Sophia

      So sorry you missed it, but here are some links to downloadable music

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_1/

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_2/

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_3/

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_4/

      The Tape of Dance was a quasi official SCA wide dance source for the
      Letter of Dance.

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/i-arbeau/

      Some of the above might be a bit dated but they should get you started.

      For purchasing I can't recommend anything more than musica subterranean

      http://payplay.fm/musicasubterranea1

      these are specifically recorded by SCA musicians for dancing.
      The page the above link takes you to is the first album, the second two
      Can be seen at the top right, cornucopia and incantare

      Conrad

      PS welcome
    • Conna
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
        I'll second Conrad in saying Welcome!!!

        Sorry you weren't able to come to event this past weekend. I had a
        blast! (Thank you, Bellewodians!)

        Lady Emeyle has learned a couple of bransles to bring home to Mag Mor,
        so be sure to hit her up for those. :) But please use the
        catch-and-release program, so she can scurry back off to the pit and
        play the music you need for your dancing. :)

        Good luck with bringing dancing to Mag Mor! I'll be at the upcoming
        Crown, and I'd be happy to join with Emeyle and play music for you, if
        you'd like to try to do a little dancing at Crown.

        Conna

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
          SaraSophia,

          Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.

        • Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
            Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach.

            I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.

            Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?

            Thanks again,
            Sara Sophia

            To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.com
            From: tsire@...
            Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500
            Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
              I am for one rather amused that Master Conrad posted that website w/o
              the standard disclaimer against Hole in the Wall. I made my case again
              over supper at Bellewode, but the mean ole' Laurels just wouldn't
              budge... even if it was with new more appropriate/period/etc
              choreography... not even if we called it Purcell's Hornpipe so that
              there was no ambiguity about which dance was being done/played. Oh
              well. I think it's probably my love of Irish music (hornpipes being
              my favorite followed by jigs and slip-jigs) and the fact that this was
              the first piece I learned to play, and that I was never forced to play
              it in a pit 43,342,234,345,984.7 times. *sigh*

              I'm just glad that there's so much other music to love and really enjoy.

              I'd never run across these resources before and will have to transfer
              them to mp3 before including them in my arsenal. Anyone else in the
              same boat that would like copies (properly attributed of course!) rather
              than redo the work?

              Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar wrote:
              > Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach.
              >
              > I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.
              >
              > Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Sara Sophia
              >

              > To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.com
              > From: tsire@...
              > Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500
              > Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

              > SaraSophia,
              >

              > Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.

              // Merry

              ----------
              'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
                In my experience, you can turn a pavanne. You simply 'bend' your line before you run out of room and do the dance in a more oval rather than linear shape. This does mean that one partner will take larger steps as one takes smaller steps in order to curve the line where necessary. For preference, turn your line counter clockwise. This creates an opportunity for the Lord to take larger steps and the Lady to take smaller ones while curving. This seems to play well into the dancer's natural gait tendencies as well.

                I hope this helps, and keep the questions coming
                Tsire

                To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: sarasophiavonkolmar@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:48:12 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

                Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach. I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?Thanks again,Sara SophiaTo: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: tsire@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this listSaraSophia,Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.Tsire__________________________________________________________Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________Get in touch in an instant. Get Windows Live Messenger now.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_getintouch_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              • Eridani Aurus
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
                  In Arbeau
                  "Sometimes, the hall is so thronged with a multitude
                  of guests that the space for dancing is limited and
                  therefore when you near the end of the room you are
                  faced with two alternatives, either you, and the
                  damsel with whom you are dancing, must move backwards
                  or you must make a conversion....you continue to guide
                  the damsel forward while you yourself move backwards
                  as she advances until you are facing in the opposite
                  direction from which you started. ...In my opinion,
                  it is better to make the conversion, in order that the
                  damsel may always see where she is going. Because if
                  she were to meet with some mishap while going
                  backwards, she might fall, a mishap for which you
                  would receive blame and suffer a rapid decline from
                  her good graces. And so, it seems to me this practice
                  should always be followed in the pavan when one wishes
                  to take two or three turns around the room."
                  pg 58 Orcheseography by Thoinot Arbeau trans Mary
                  Stewart Evans

                  Thanks Be to Dover Publishing!!!!
                  Eridani Aureaus

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Debbie Sullentrup

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                        Replied.
                        Conna

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 24, 2008
                          I'll add that Josephina (This year's ball runner) took some great time and care to make handouts and cds for practice. I'd suggest you contact her for information. Please do not forget that two dances in her packet have been replaced.

                          Tsire

                          http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08