New to this list

  • Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 19 7:17 AM
      Greetings everyone. I had planned to be at the Dance Symposium in Bellewode today but ended up getting sick. I'm glad I found this list. I am planning to start teaching Dance in the Barony of Mag Mor on Thursday and was really looking forward to the symposium giving me some help in that. I do not have any music and it has been a while since I've danced myself. Any suggestions on how to get a dance group going would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the links page, but not the archives yet.

      Thanks for any and all suggestions, words of advice, etc.
      Sara Sophia

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21 7:33 AM
        Sara Sophia

        So sorry you missed it, but here are some links to downloadable music

        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_1/

        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_2/

        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_3/

        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/TOD_4/

        The Tape of Dance was a quasi official SCA wide dance source for the
        Letter of Dance.

        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/i-arbeau/

        Some of the above might be a bit dated but they should get you started.

        For purchasing I can't recommend anything more than musica subterranean

        http://payplay.fm/musicasubterranea1

        these are specifically recorded by SCA musicians for dancing.
        The page the above link takes you to is the first album, the second two
        Can be seen at the top right, cornucopia and incantare

        Conrad

        PS welcome
      • Conna
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21 8:07 AM
          I'll second Conrad in saying Welcome!!!

          Sorry you weren't able to come to event this past weekend. I had a
          blast! (Thank you, Bellewodians!)

          Lady Emeyle has learned a couple of bransles to bring home to Mag Mor,
          so be sure to hit her up for those. :) But please use the
          catch-and-release program, so she can scurry back off to the pit and
          play the music you need for your dancing. :)

          Good luck with bringing dancing to Mag Mor! I'll be at the upcoming
          Crown, and I'd be happy to join with Emeyle and play music for you, if
          you'd like to try to do a little dancing at Crown.

          Conna

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 21 9:31 AM
            SaraSophia,

            Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.

          • Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 21 11:48 AM
              Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach.

              I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.

              Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?

              Thanks again,
              Sara Sophia

              To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.com
              From: tsire@...
              Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500
              Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 21 12:04 PM
                I am for one rather amused that Master Conrad posted that website w/o
                the standard disclaimer against Hole in the Wall. I made my case again
                over supper at Bellewode, but the mean ole' Laurels just wouldn't
                budge... even if it was with new more appropriate/period/etc
                choreography... not even if we called it Purcell's Hornpipe so that
                there was no ambiguity about which dance was being done/played. Oh
                well. I think it's probably my love of Irish music (hornpipes being
                my favorite followed by jigs and slip-jigs) and the fact that this was
                the first piece I learned to play, and that I was never forced to play
                it in a pit 43,342,234,345,984.7 times. *sigh*

                I'm just glad that there's so much other music to love and really enjoy.

                I'd never run across these resources before and will have to transfer
                them to mp3 before including them in my arsenal. Anyone else in the
                same boat that would like copies (properly attributed of course!) rather
                than redo the work?

                Lady Sara Sophia von Kolmar wrote:
                > Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach.
                >
                > I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.
                >
                > Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?
                >
                > Thanks again,
                > Sara Sophia
                >

                > To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.com
                > From: tsire@...
                > Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500
                > Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

                > SaraSophia,
                >

                > Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.

                // Merry

                ----------
                'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 21 12:05 PM
                  In my experience, you can turn a pavanne. You simply 'bend' your line before you run out of room and do the dance in a more oval rather than linear shape. This does mean that one partner will take larger steps as one takes smaller steps in order to curve the line where necessary. For preference, turn your line counter clockwise. This creates an opportunity for the Lord to take larger steps and the Lady to take smaller ones while curving. This seems to play well into the dancer's natural gait tendencies as well.

                  I hope this helps, and keep the questions coming
                  Tsire

                  To: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: sarasophiavonkolmar@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:48:12 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this list

                  Thanks everyone for the greetings, advice and links. :-) I'm not the one that is actually spearheading dance in Mag Mor, Emelye is. But I have volunteered to help teach. I will be at Crown as I'm one of the co-autocrats. I don't know how busy I will be during the day, but I would love to get together and talk dance as well as get pointers on teaching. I've only been on the student side of dance so far so we'll see how the teaching goes. I think we will only have 1 dance practice before Crown, this Thursday, so things shouldn't go too wrong before Crown. :-) The first dance I'm teaching is a pavane.Which does bring up a question, can you turn corners during a pavane ? If so, how is that worked? Or what do you do when you get to the end of your space? The entire line turn around and go the other direction?Thanks again,Sara SophiaTo: calontirdance@yahoogroups.comFrom: tsire@...: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:31:40 -0500Subject: RE: [CalontirDance] New to this listSaraSophia,Greetings. I"m so glad you're taking up dance leadership! I'll also be at Crown and will be happy to share teaching techniques and lead a sample class for you.Tsire__________________________________________________________Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]__________________________________________________________Get in touch in an instant. Get Windows Live Messenger now.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_getintouch_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                • Eridani Aurus
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 21 2:19 PM
                    In Arbeau
                    "Sometimes, the hall is so thronged with a multitude
                    of guests that the space for dancing is limited and
                    therefore when you near the end of the room you are
                    faced with two alternatives, either you, and the
                    damsel with whom you are dancing, must move backwards
                    or you must make a conversion....you continue to guide
                    the damsel forward while you yourself move backwards
                    as she advances until you are facing in the opposite
                    direction from which you started. ...In my opinion,
                    it is better to make the conversion, in order that the
                    damsel may always see where she is going. Because if
                    she were to meet with some mishap while going
                    backwards, she might fall, a mishap for which you
                    would receive blame and suffer a rapid decline from
                    her good graces. And so, it seems to me this practice
                    should always be followed in the pavan when one wishes
                    to take two or three turns around the room."
                    pg 58 Orcheseography by Thoinot Arbeau trans Mary
                    Stewart Evans

                    Thanks Be to Dover Publishing!!!!
                    Eridani Aureaus

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Debbie Sullentrup

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 24 6:54 AM
                          Replied.
                          Conna

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 24 7:19 AM
                            I'll add that Josephina (This year's ball runner) took some great time and care to make handouts and cds for practice. I'd suggest you contact her for information. Please do not forget that two dances in her packet have been replaced.

                            Tsire

                            http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08