RE: [CalontirDance] Lilies Classes

    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2000
      > Could you tell me what the current classes for Lilies are
      > (and I imagine
      > everyone else would be interested in that information as
      > well)? And also what
      > you're still looking for? My summer plans are getting less
      > tentative and I
      > can
      > finally committ to being able to teach. I have a couple
      > ideas, but I'm happy
      > fill in wherever needed.
      > Katherine

      Lilies Dance CLass Schedule
      (Needs to be finalized before Crown to make the RUSH book)

      Class Times
      Mon - Thur 10-12 and 1-3

      Day/Time Class Teacher
      Monday
      AM Intro to Renn. Dance Conrad
      PM Bransles and Pavanes?

      Tues
      AM Introductory Itialian Katherine
      PM Easy ECD Tsire

      Wed
      AM Intermediate ECD Tsire
      PM ??? ???

      Thurs
      AM Survey of Itialian Dance Judith
      PM Review for Ball Conrad et al

      Final class nane is up to the instructor.
      Anyone who want to be around for the review class is welcome.
      Exact slots on Tues and Wed are somewhat tentative.
      I absolutely need someone for the Monday PM class, I've got a meeting :(

      Any ideas for the wed after noon class?

      A couple of ones I had

      Dancing to live music
      Dance teachers class

      Conrad

      > (by the way, I hope you had a safe and uneventful trip home
      > and have been
      > taking
      > it easy this week!).

      The trip home last week was fine, eve stopped off in Bellewode
      for a few hours - but there was another event (with danceing)
      this most recent weekend (next weekend I'm taking OFF!)
    • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2000
        Quick question:

        is the Tuesday AM Intro Italian class me!? If so, great :) and Judith and I
        should probably chat about not covering too much of the same material.

        I'd also be happy to take the Monday or Wednesday PM slot if I could divide it
        into two one hour slots. I was thinking that it would be really fun to do a
        Saltarello class (Saltarello la Regina and Saltarello II with maybe some talk
        about the development of the Saltarello form into Italian dance if I feel up
        it), but I only have enough material for an hour. That could easily be paired
        with either a quasi-Scottish/Irish (Posten's, Mairi's, and Scotland the Brave)
        or else a more focused intermediate ECD (like Alina's Hey's are not for Horses
        class which has been spreading aroud the Known World!).

        Katherine

        >Lilies Dance CLass Schedule
        >(Needs to be finalized before Crown to make the RUSH book)
        >

        >Class Times
        >Mon - Thur 10-12 and 1-3
        >
        >Day/Time Class Teacher
        >Monday
        >AM Intro to Renn. Dance Conrad
        >PM Bransles and Pavanes?
        >
        >Tues
        >AM Introductory Itialian Katherine
        >PM Easy ECD Tsire
        >
        >Wed
        >AM Intermediate ECD Tsire
        >PM ??? ???
        >
        >Thurs
        >AM Survey of Itialian Dance Judith
        >PM Review for Ball Conrad et al
        >

        >Final class nane is up to the instructor.
        >Anyone who want to be around for the review class is welcome.
        >Exact slots on Tues and Wed are somewhat tentative.
        >I absolutely need someone for the Monday PM class, I've got a meeting :(
        >
        >Any ideas for the wed after noon class?
        >
        >A couple of ones I had
        >
        >Dancing to live music
        >Dance teachers class

        Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
        Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
        deanc@... Calontir
        http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
        Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2000
          > Quick question:
          >
          > is the Tuesday AM Intro Italian class me!? If so, great :)

          Yep :)

          > and Judith and I
          > should probably chat about not covering too much of the same material.

          My only request is that all the itialian dances in the ball proper
          (not necessarilly the request dances) be covered during the classes.

          > I'd also be happy to take the Monday or Wednesday PM slot if
          > I could divide it
          > into two one hour slots. I was thinking that it would be
          > really fun to do a
          > Saltarello class (Saltarello la Regina and Saltarello II with
          > maybe some talk
          > about the development of the Saltarello form into Italian
          > dance if I feel up
          > it), but I only have enough material for an hour.

          Well I'd be like that alot.

          On another note - do you think we could round up enough
          people (10-12) to do a Salterello II (BTW it actually
          has a name now though I don't remember it) at performing
          arts day?

          > That could
          > easily be paired
          > with either a quasi-Scottish/Irish (Posten's, Mairi's, and
          > Scotland the Brave)
          > or else a more focused intermediate ECD (like Alina's Hey's
          > are not for Horses
          > class which has been spreading aroud the Known World!).
          >
          > Katherine

          Both are possible, though I would prefer not to teach the
          scottish dances at official classes.

          Conrad
        • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2000
            [snip]

            >> is the Tuesday AM Intro Italian class me!? If so, great :)
            >
            >Yep :)

            Great, (Katherine enters planning mode)

            >> and Judith and I
            >> should probably chat about not covering too much of the same material.
            >
            >My only request is that all the itialian dances in the ball proper
            >(not necessarilly the request dances) be covered during the classes.

            Ok, of the Italian on the play list I can do Petit Riens, Amoroso (can you
            send
            me a copy of the music you're sending out to musicians? There are at least
            two
            versions I know of), Gelosia, and Rosti Boli. I *cannot* teach Il Piantone or
            Ballo del Fiore. Of the four I can teach I will almost certainly be doing RB
            (because it's my favorite Italian dance), but of the other three any/all/or
            none
            would work for me.

            So... Judith, if you're on this list can you please contact me off list
            (deanc@...) so we can figure things out before Crown, if not, could
            someone (Conrad?) send me contact info?

            I was thinking that if you don't object horribly I might gear the Italian
            class
            towards being intermediate rather than introductory. By Intermediate I mean
            people who have reasonable knowlege of how to dance in the SCA (ie can do
            doubles and singles of some genre, have attended dance practices or classes in
            the past), preferably with a bit of Italian experience, not necessarily people
            who even know any Italian (without review). I just don't want to spend a lot
            of
            time getting people to be able to move with the music.

            At this point I'm thinking it would be interesting to cover some dances that
            aren't currently in the Calontir repetoire (at least not that I've seen).
            Tentatively I'd like to do between 4 and 6 dances depending on time and how
            quickly people learn: Rosti Boli and 1-2 other 15th c. balli, Dolche Amoroso
            Fiamma, Bizzaria d'Amore and/or one other 16th century (maybe Villanella?).
            Some of these I would classify as intro-intermediate, others as definately
            intermediate, another reason for not doing intro.

            >> I'd also be happy to take the Monday or Wednesday PM slot if
            >> I could divide it
            >> into two one hour slots. I was thinking that it would be
            >> really fun to do a
            >> Saltarello class (Saltarello la Regina and Saltarello II with
            >> maybe some talk
            >> about the development of the Saltarello form into Italian
            >> dance if I feel up
            >> it), but I only have enough material for an hour.
            >
            >Well I'd be like that alot.

            Great!!

            >On another note - do you think we could round up enough
            >people (10-12) to do a Salterello II at performing
            >arts day?

            Yeah, I bet we could. Maybe we could arrange a practice for all those
            interested during the pick-up time because I think all the class-slots for
            dance
            are filled, (right, Tsire?) and then perform it. I'm sure we could scare up
            enough people since I've done it (successfully) with as few a 6 dancers and it
            works really well with only 8.

            (BTW it actually
            >has a name now though I don't remember it)

            Prendente in Giro

            >> That could
            >> easily be paired
            >> with either a quasi-Scottish/Irish (Posten's, Mairi's, and
            >> Scotland the Brave)
            >> or else a more focused intermediate ECD (like Alina's Hey's
            >> are not for Horses
            >> class which has been spreading aroud the Known World!).
            >>
            >> Katherine
            >
            >Both are possible, though I would prefer not to teach the
            >scottish dances at official classes.

            Ok, how about Salterello class followed by Intermediate ECD with Heys
            (Whirligig, Grimstock, and Picking of Sticks [with Alina's permission, of
            course])?

            BTW, what is the space for dance at Lilies, and how tight is the spacing. Is
            there time for classes to go over by 15 minutes if necessary?

            Lot's of questions! Sorry to everyone for the list traffic.

            Cathy Dean Katherine Mercer
            Grinnell College Seneschal, College of NoMountain
            deanc@... Calontir
            http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
            Knowledge is Power; Power Corrupts; Study Hard; Be Evil
          • Kirsten Garner
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2000
              Hi Conrad (et all..)

              All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get there
              this year! :)

              > Tentatively I'd like to do between 4 and 6 dances depending on time
              and how
              > quickly people learn: Rosti Boli and 1-2 other 15th c. balli,
              Dolche Amoroso
              > Fiamma, Bizzaria d'Amore and/or one other 16th century (maybe
              Villanella?).
              > Some of these I would classify as intro-intermediate, others as
              definately
              > intermediate, another reason for not doing intro.

              Just a couple of thoughts from an exiled Calontiri...

              I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
              mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
              it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :) I
              don't know how the dance world is over in Calontir anymore, but in
              this dance-backwater kingdom we tend to have resistance to the later
              Italians. I have found though that Villanella goes over really well.
              I taught it to complete dance beginners at our last Kingdom Dance and
              Rapier Collegium. I found that if you point out that ssd ssd
              structure in the second thru fourth verses as being just
              like "Carolingian Pavane"
              and the continenze, 2 riprese, riverenza as a "chorus", it sticks in
              learners' heads better. The only problem we had was with the
              saltarello circle-countercircle maneuveur in the last verse. Other
              than that, it went really well. :) Oh, and another word of advice
              (from the experience of our Kingdom danceminister) - never describe
              Bizzaria as "straightforward". That word is now banned at all kingdom
              and baronial dance practices. ;)

              As for other 15th century, I'm not sure what you're thinking yet, but
              how about Leoncello, Pellegrina (basse danse type), Anello, Verceppe
              or Gratioso? (I don't have my little black book o' dance with me at
              the moment or I could give you a better list. :)

              I kinda miss Saltarello (La Regina) - I'm trying to introduce it out
              here. :) But, you know, it's one of those *gasp* Italian names! Which
              of course, as we all know, instantly makes it 200 times more
              difficult than Heart's Ease. ;)

              Makes me wish I could be there this year. What are the classes
              shaping up like for the KWASS?

              Lady Julian ferch Rhys
              late of Shire of Standing Stones
              now dance minister for Barony of Atenveldt, Atenveldt

              PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
            • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2000
                >Just a couple of thoughts from an exiled Calontiri...
                >
                >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)

                I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade' dances that I wish
                would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two Italian dances that
                my
                (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the other being Petit
                Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

                >don't know how the dance world is over in Calontir anymore, but in
                >this dance-backwater kingdom we tend to have resistance to the later
                >Italians.

                Grrr... this is definately true in C d'E (right Tsire?) and even a bit here in
                NoMountain where we have unusually open folk. Does anyone know how this
                started? Who gave Italian a bad reputation (I must know so that I can set
                some
                large-fanged animals loose in their pavillion at Pennsic)

                I have found though that Villanella goes over really well.
                >I taught it to complete dance beginners at our last Kingdom Dance and
                >Rapier Collegium. I found that if you point out that ssd ssd
                >structure in the second thru fourth verses as being just
                >like "Carolingian Pavane"
                >and the continenze, 2 riprese, riverenza as a "chorus", it sticks in
                >learners' heads better. The only problem we had was with the
                >saltarello circle-countercircle maneuveur in the last verse. Other
                >than that, it went really well. :)

                Hmmm... I'll keep this in mind, although I generally don't try to teach
                Italian
                by analogy with ECD or other more familiar stuff. It just somehow seems wrong
                in a couple of gut reaction sort of ways. Mostly I think it's because I
                didn't
                learn that way, but also trying to fit Italian into molds where it can almost,
                but not quite, fit, seems counterproductive. If people are going to enjoy
                Italian dance it probably isn't going to be because it's like Rufty Tufty, but
                because they like it *despite* its not being Rufty Tufty. Just my two cents
                your millage may vary, and all the other usual disclaimers. I'll *definately*
                keep those hints in mind as one never knows what will help someone who is
                having
                lots of problems understanding GET a dance.

                Oh, and another word of advice
                >(from the experience of our Kingdom danceminister) - never describe
                >Bizzaria as "straightforward". That word is now banned at all kingdom
                >and baronial dance practices. ;)

                *laugh*. I'll keep that in mind.

                >As for other 15th century, I'm not sure what you're thinking yet, but
                >how about Leoncello, Pellegrina (basse danse type), Anello, Verceppe
                >or Gratioso? (I don't have my little black book o' dance with me at
                >the moment or I could give you a better list. :)

                Could do Leoncello or Anello, Verceppe, Pellegrina, and Gratioso I don't know
                yet. I picked up my repetoire in the Midrealm, from some friends of Mistress
                Rosina's, but their 15th c. rep is actually quite small. I'm hopeing to pick
                up
                some more at Pennsic directly from Rosina!

                >I kinda miss Saltarello (La Regina) - I'm trying to introduce it out
                >here. :) But, you know, it's one of those *gasp* Italian names! Which
                >of course, as we all know, instantly makes it 200 times more
                >difficult than Heart's Ease. ;)

                *laugh*. Ok, appropriate time to tell my technique for getting people to
                dance
                SLR. I refer to it constantly as the 'kamikaze bunny hop dance of doom' (this
                is because the CD set I have has SLR repeated three times in a row getting
                progressively faster). Amazingly enough people not only didn't run away from
                that description, but they actually came to practice to see what the heck I
                was
                going on about!

                >Lady Julian ferch Rhys
                >late of Shire of Standing Stones
                >now dance minister for Barony of Atenveldt, Atenveldt

                SO does that mean you're in Phoenix? I imagine you've already met my friend
                who
                is living in Tucson (ack, I can never remember how to spell the name of the
                group down there) Dave/Bartello(I think). If not, you should. If so, he'll
                dance SLR or Rosti Boli with you anytime, just do me a favor and say that
                Katherine from Calontir sent you and everything will be alright!

                Katherine
                (who appologizes for all the list-cluttering chitchat, but that's just

                Message 7 of 18 , May 5, 2000
                  Hi all. :)

                  > I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade' dances
                  that I wish
                  > would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two Italian
                  dances that
                  > my
                  > (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the other
                  being Petit
                  > Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

                  I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
                  throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
                  the point. :)

                  We're having some good success with Amoroso surprisingly. Master
                  Niccolo of Artemisia came down and taught it to some beginners at the
                  Kingdom Dance and Rapier Collegium and it's really caught on. I've
                  had lots of requests for it lately. And in a kingdom where the
                  prevailing dance request is "Anything except Italian" and/or "Can we
                  do Hole in the Wall?", that's pretty cheering. :)

                  > Does anyone know how this
                  > started? Who gave Italian a bad reputation

                  I wish I knew. We do have some prominent people out here who are
                  against them, but I guess that it may be because it's got a
                  vocabulary that stretches beyond single, double, side, arm, set and
                  turn. People seem to resist having to learn something "fur'n". (Yes,
                  I'm originally from Arkansas :). Plus, out here, there's been a long
                  tradition of completely OOP dances done. And those that are "period"
                  (quotes because I'm including ECD here), have some very odd
                  mutations. It makes things interesting when you come in and try to
                  teach what you know only to have people come back at you with "that's
                  wrong" or "that's not how we do it here". I just recently had someone
                  call into question the handholds that I teach (i.e., low, not high).
                  He said "That's how Master xxxx, our premier Laurel, says it should
                  be done." I told him "Well, he's wrong" and went on to cite sources
                  and show him illuminations to the contrary. But it does make things a
                  little frustrating at times between that and the prevailing "Italians
                  are incredibly hard, and only dance laurels can do them" attitude. :(

                  > Hmmm... I'll keep this in mind, although I generally don't try to
                  teach
                  > Italian
                  > by analogy with ECD or other more familiar stuff.

                  Out here, it's almost the only way to fly. :( Well, to get people to
                  try it. After a while, I start slipping back into Italian, but most
                  people seem to accept it by then.

                  > but also trying to fit Italian into molds where it can almost,
                  > but not quite, fit, seems counterproductive.

                  Out here it's a case of "I don't know what a doppio is, and I don't
                  want to know. Oh? A *double*? OH! I can do that!"

                  > I'll *definately*
                  > keep those hints in mind as one never knows what will help someone
                  who is
                  > having
                  > lots of problems understanding GET a dance.

                  This is one of the reasons I go to a lot of beginner classes when I
                  travel. I may know all the dances, but you never know when someone
                  else might have a way cool way of explaining things. :) And God
                  knows, I'm still learning to teach after all these years. ;)

                  > Could do Leoncello or Anello, Verceppe, Pellegrina, and Gratioso I
                  don't know
                  > yet.

                  Another thing I thought of - if you've got a group who are willing to
                  try new and different things, you might could try Mercantia. Good
                  flirting potential and interesting theatrics. :)

                  > I'm hopeing to pick
                  > up
                  > some more at Pennsic directly from Rosina!

                  Rosina and I have some sometimes quite varying viewpoints on
                  reconstructions and steps! :)

                  > *laugh*. Ok, appropriate time to tell my technique for getting
                  people to
                  > dance
                  > SLR. I refer to it constantly as the 'kamikaze bunny hop dance of
                  doom'

                  OK - now *that* I'm definitely going to have to remember! :)

                  > I imagine you've already met my friend
                  > who
                  > is living in Tucson Dave/Bartello(I think).

                  Yep - he came to our Dance Collegium last year before he ever moved
                  out here. :) We love him out here!! I'll tell him we chatted. :) Cool!

                  Julian
                • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2000
                    Greetings again.

                    >I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
                    >throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
                    >the point. :)

                    Oooh... feel like shareing? I'm curious now (having helped choreograph a six
                    person version of Rufty Tufty when we had too many people for the regular
                    dance!)

                    >We're having some good success with Amoroso surprisingly. Master
                    >Niccolo of Artemisia came down and taught it to some beginners at the
                    >Kingdom Dance and Rapier Collegium and it's really caught on. I've
                    >had lots of requests for it lately. And in a kingdom where the
                    >prevailing dance request is "Anything except Italian" and/or "Can we
                    >do Hole in the Wall?", that's pretty cheering. :)

                    So I hear! It actually gives one a sense of hope! I really think more people
                    would enjoy Italian if they would just give it a chance--very flirtatious and
                    goodness knows there are enough flirts int he SCA to make things like that
                    quite
                    popular indeed!

                    >> but also trying to fit Italian into molds where it can almost,
                    >> but not quite, fit, seems counterproductive.
                    >
                    >Out here it's a case of "I don't know what a doppio is, and I don't
                    >want to know. Oh? A *double*? OH! I can do that!"

                    Oh, ok I will sometimes translate terms into English, but more often than not
                    rather than translate the step names (which can be pretty silly sounding) I
                    just
                    clip them off. Spezz and Trab rather than spezzati and trabuchetti come to
                    mind
                    immediately. Things with silly little names are less intimidating, I guess :)

                    >> Could do Leoncello or Anello, Verceppe, Pellegrina, and Gratioso I
                    >don't know
                    >> yet.
                    >
                    >Another thing I thought of - if you've got a group who are willing to
                    >try new and different things, you might could try Mercantia. Good
                    >flirting potential and interesting theatrics. :)

                    Ok. HOpefully I can get my crew to try it over the summer when we don't have
                    homework and can have two hour dance practices.

                    >> I'm hopeing to pick
                    >> up
                    >> some more at Pennsic directly from Rosina!
                    >
                    >Rosina and I have some sometimes quite varying viewpoints on
                    >reconstructions and steps! :)

                    Well you still have to admit she's a very nifty person! Seriously, though,
                    I'd
                    be interested to know where you differ. I've got a copy of the big blue book
                    of
                    15th c. dance treatises in my room right now and have just started poking
                    through it.

                    >> *laugh*. Ok, appropriate time to tell my technique for getting
                    >people to
                    >> dance
                    >> SLR. I refer to it constantly as the 'kamikaze bunny hop dance of
                    >doom'
                    >
                    >OK - now *that* I'm definitely going to have to remember! :)

                    Ok, but I'm not sure whether I really want the blame/credit for that if it
                    catches on *laugh*.

                    >> I imagine you've already met my friend
                    >> who
                    >> is living in Tucson Dave/Bartello(I think).
                    >
                    >Yep - he came to our Dance Collegium last year before he ever moved
                    >out here. :) We love him out here!! I'll tell him we chatted. :) Cool!

                    *laugh* It's a small small society we're living in. I wonder how many steps
                    it
                    takes before every dance master/mistress in the known world is connected to
                    every other one.

                    Katherine

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 5, 2000
                      Hi! :)
                      >> two-person version of Petit Riens
                      > Oooh... feel like shareing? I'm curious now

                      If you go to amazon.co.uk, they have a re-issue of a CD called "A la
                      Ferrarese" which has that version on it. It's also got music you can
                      use for Patience, Cupido and Dampnes. :)

                      > So I hear! It actually gives one a sense of hope! I really think
                      more people
                      > would enjoy Italian if they would just give it a chance--very
                      flirtatious and
                      > goodness knows there are enough flirts int he SCA to make things
                      like that
                      > quite
                      > popular indeed!

                      I've been working on stressing the "flirtation" thing out here.
                      Sometimes it seems like people only think they can flirt in Hole in
                      the Wall and Mannschaft. Amoroso at least has been going some way
                      towards remedying that. I guess they think that on the whole Italians
                      are too difficult to think about flirting in. Which, in a way, I can
                      understand since I used to be scared of them too. But, I guess it
                      just takes time and patience. :)

                      > Oh, ok I will sometimes translate terms into English, but more
                      often than not
                      > rather than translate the step names (which can be pretty silly
                      sounding) I
                      > just
                      > clip them off.

                      Oh yeah - names that don't have ready English translations just stay
                      in Italian. :) I can't see myself calling for a "broken sequence"
                      when I can just say "spezzato". :) Although I have been known to
                      call "spezzati" "scoochy steps" just to get my point across. :)
                      However, that's only for teaching! After the first inital run-
                      throughs, it's back to Italian! :)

                      >> Mercantia
                      > Ok. HOpefully I can get my crew to try it over the summer when we
                      don't have
                      > homework and can have two hour dance practices.

                      It's not overly difficult once you get the idea behind it. What's
                      really fun is to work it and Sobria up to be performed together. :)
                      Marketplace (where the lady dances with everyone - trying them out,
                      as it were) and Sobriety (where she only dances with her partner and
                      everyone else tries to pick her up). :) They look really good with a
                      lot of facial expression and drama. :) I think the dance part is
                      almost secondary. :)

                      > Well you still have to admit she's a very nifty person! Seriously,
                      though,
                      > I'd
                      > be interested to know where you differ. I've got a copy of the big
                      blue book
                      > of
                      > 15th c. dance treatises in my room right now and have just started
                      poking
                      > through it.

                      Smith? Great resource! :) I've reconstructed so much stuff out of
                      that book! :) Not to mention that the first volume is excellent for
                      theory. :) (Volume II is back in print, if you weren't aware of that
                      yet. :)

                      Rosina and I differ on things like riprese, pive and contrepassi. Oh,
                      and salterelli. :) We also have some serious differences on
                      reconstruction in some of the dances. She does some things that seem
                      to me to be really wierd. But that's kinda the thing about dance
                      reconstruction - what I see in the source and work out in performance
                      may not be what she sees or you see or anyone else sees. The only
                      thing we can do is try to keep it intact with the sources themselves.
                      However, she and I do have some absolutely reverse ways of looking at
                      things sometimes. :)

                      > *laugh* It's a small small society we're living in. I wonder how
                      many steps
                      > it
                      > takes before every dance master/mistress in the known world is
                      connected to
                      > every other one.

                      Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                      Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                      Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                      the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                      everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of <insert name here> -
                      could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)

                      I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                      managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                      there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                      for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                      here. :)

                      Julian
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                        > Hi Conrad (et all..)

                        Well, better late than never :)

                        > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get there
                        > this year! :)

                        Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

                        > Just a couple of thoughts from an exiled Calontiri...
                        >
                        > I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                        > mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                        > it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :) I
                        > don't know how the dance world is over in Calontir anymore, but in
                        > this dance-backwater kingdom we tend to have resistance to the later
                        > Italians.

                        I wouldn't say thare is specific resistance to any dance form.
                        This is not necessarilly a good thing, becaue its mostly that
                        the (relatively few) actually interested in dance will try most
                        anything. But hte numbers are starting to grow. Of the 9 weekends
                        in april and may, dancing has been on the schedule of at least
                        5 events!

                        > Makes me wish I could be there this year. What are the classes
                        > shaping up like for the KWASS?

                        stay tuned :)

                        > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)

                        That you know? Have music for?
                        I have no idea.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                          > >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                          > >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                          > >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
                          >
                          > I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
                          > dances that I wish
                          > would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
                          > Italian dances that
                          > my
                          > (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
                          > other being Petit
                          > Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).

                          I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet). I think the
                          third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
                          ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
                          while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                            > I've got a two-person version of Petit Vriens which I occasionally
                            > throw on to confuse our kingdom dance minister. :) But that's beside
                            > the point. :)

                            Aparently someone back east has reconstruced and created music for
                            petit rose (a 2 person dance).

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                              > Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                              > Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                              > Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                              > the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                              > everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of <insert name here> -
                              > could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)

                              Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
                              Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
                              Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

                              Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

                              > I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                              > managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                              > there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                              > for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                              > here. :)

                              Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                              if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
                              and like what they know.

                              Conrad
                            • Kirsten Garner
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                                Hi all..

                                > > All this talk about Lillies makes me wish I could actually get
                                there
                                > > this year! :)
                                >
                                > Hrumph! I came out to your war ;)

                                I know, bad Julian. :) Just mark it down to another instance of
                                Tristram and I avoiding each other. ;)

                                > > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
                                >
                                > That you know? Have music for?

                                That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
                                15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)

                                It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)

                                Julian
                              • Kirsten Garner
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                                  Hi again... :)

                                  > Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last
                                  year :)

                                  Next time... well, maybe if it ever gets out this way. I don't know
                                  if I can afford Boston. :)

                                  > Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                                  > if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they
                                  like
                                  > and like what they know.

                                  That's what I've been doing. I landed in Atenveldt, went to a dance
                                  practice that Friday night and ended up teaching two classes at the
                                  Kingdom Dance Collegium (the next day - Saturday). It's been downhill
                                  ever since. ;) I'm now baronial dance minister for the barony (and
                                  it's a HUGE barony - scared the mess out of me when I first got
                                  here). I run two dance practices a month and at events. The problem
                                  is that there was already *some* dance out here (mostly OOP and some
                                  ECD) which is what people want to do. There is heavy resistance to
                                  Italians. So..I try to work around that as well as I can -
                                  introducing easy Italians very very very slowly. There's also the
                                  ever-present "Can we do X dance?". A good example is Contrapasso
                                  Nuovo. To which the answer is inevitably "Which version? Caroso Il
                                  Ballarino, Caroso Nobilita, Negri, Master dance laurel's version, or
                                  some other odd creation?". No one knows, but when you try to
                                  introduce the one you know, the response is, wait for it, "That's not
                                  how we do it". It's kinda frustrating at times. So I'm open for
                                  suggestions. :)

                                  Julian
                                • Ms. Catherine E. Dean, Esq.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                                    >> > PS: Conrad - last count was 121 dances! Where are you? ;)
                                    >>
                                    >> That you know? Have music for?
                                    >
                                    >That I know, can dance and have music for. :) That's counting the 4
                                    >15th-century Italians that I put together last week. :)
                                    >
                                    >It's amazing what one can do when one is avoiding a PhD. :)
                                    >
                                    >Julian

                                    OOh, I'm somewhat in awe. I just catalogued mine and it ended up only in the
                                    mid-40s (and that was being generous counting things I'd need a bit of review
                                    before teaching, but not counting the Inns of Court stuff).

                                    But then I'm only avoiding a bachelor's!

                                    Katherine

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                                      >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                                      >> Sounds like an experiment to me! :) Let's see...I know Conrad (hi
                                      >> Conrad!), Bartolo, Mistress Caitlin de Courcy, Wolfgang Adolphus
                                      >> Jaeger, Greg (gb)(and that's a story and a half), Master Niccolo and
                                      >> the people here.... I'm sure that should get us at least half-way to
                                      >> everyone else. ;) Heehee - the 7 degrees of -
                                      >> could be a great party game for Pennsic! :)
                                      >
                                      >Its more like 2 or 3. My list; Alphia, Sion, Faelen, Rosenore, Alina,
                                      >Rosina, Philipe, Gregory, Giuseppe, William Redcape, Guiiliam,
                                      >Perenell (sp?), Nicoolo, Julian, Del all the calontir people etc.

                                      Hmmm... how well do we need to know dance instructors for them to count?
                                      There
                                      are a few who I could probably count as people I know but wouldn't want to
                                      (sorry, getting catty for a moment, no one here in Calontir, thank goodness!)

                                      So... People I really know: Conrad, Tsire, Daria (in Calontir), Bartolo (in
                                      Atenvelt), Alina, Llewellyn, and the rest of the Cynnabar crew (in the
                                      Midrealm), Theodorin, Anne, and (briefly) Melusine (in Drachenwald). Must
                                      network more....

                                      >Ok so I cheated and went to the known world dance symposium last year :)

                                      New year for sure. Already budgeting for a plane ticket.

                                      >> I have a question for y'all out there in Calontir. How have you
                                      >> managed to get the Italians to catch on? I remember when I was out
                                      >> there, we predominately did ECD and Arbeau. What things have worked
                                      >> for you? :) (I'm desperately searching for new things to try out
                                      >> here. :)
                                      >
                                      >Show up and teach. Its easy to just start teaching from scratch then
                                      >if you have a moderately active group of dances who know what they like
                                      >and like what they know.

                                      Well, I've been blessed with very open dancers (undergrads at a very liberal
                                      college for the most part), but my tactic has been a) to be openly
                                      enthusiastic
                                      about what I'm going to teach b) never force anything down their throats c)
                                      always try to do a balance of new and old stuff (an easy repetoire dance like
                                      Black Alman to cement things in their heads, maybe one italian, an
                                      intermediate
                                      ECD and Posten's or something fast and fun) and c) take things very slowly.

                                      And unfortuantely from what I've seen, they haven't quite caught on yet.
                                      People
                                      may not run from the room when they hear the next dance is going to be Gelosia
                                      or something like that, but they don't exactly jump for joy like I've
                                      witnessed
                                      over Hole in the Head (oops, Wall).

                                      Of course I can't speak for what's going on down south.

                                      Katheri

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 8, 2000
                                        >===== Original Message From CalontirDance@egroups.com =====
                                        >> >I personally love Rostiboli. :) I learned it in Drachenwald (via the
                                        >> >mundane Italian schools) and will do it anytime, anyplace. :) I wish
                                        >> >it was done more often in the SCA (well, outside Carolingia!). :)
                                        >>
                                        >> I couldn't agree more. It's one of my 'personal crusade'
                                        >> dances that I wish
                                        >> would become an SCA standard. It's also one of only two
                                        >> Italian dances that
                                        >> my
                                        >> (overwhelmingly open and wonderful) dancers request (the
                                        >> other being Petit
                                        >> Riens, although I'm winning them over with Dolce Amoroso Fiamma).
                                        >

                                        >I agree too, but I don't know the last one (yet).

                                        Soon, soon (if the music gods cooporate *laugh*).

                                        I think the
                                        >third one in my book is Gelosia. I think it helps some of the
                                        >ECD mindset cause it sorta looks line one (at least for a little
                                        >while - none of the everyone wandering all over the place.

                                        Oh, but that's the glory of 15th c--all of the wonderful chase stuff. Ah....

                                        Katherine