Musicological Questions about Cofrin Rostiboli Gioioso and in general, why 6/4?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2008
      Looking over the music for Bellewode and struggling to learn this tune
      and make it sound like music. I turned to the two recorded versions I
      have and only was more confused as they appear to be a completely
      different arrangements than the sheet music and indeed a completely
      different key (or I'm confused... quite likely). I finally notated it
      into Finale so I could listen to Finale play it and make it sound like

      Anyways, it brought up two questions for me right near the end.

      1. At the end of the piece it says "D.C. al Sign" (Da Capo, "To the head
      and then to the sign", yes?) I've never seen this used before... i.e.,
      the "D.C." and "al Sign". Actually, I've never seen "al Sign". There
      is a Segno, a sign over the first measure of the section marked by the A
      rehearsal letter. The lead indicates "Intro (AA,BB',CC,DD) x 2 so I'm
      wondering if it's a typo and should be D.S. al Fine (Dal Segno "From the
      sign to the end", yes?)... i.e., play the whole thing twice through
      skipping the intro portion the second time around. Is this correct?

      2. The second question has to do with the 1/8th note rests at the end
      of section marked with the C rehearsal letter mark and the anacrusis at
      the beginning of the section marked D. I'm not certain how to ask the
      question. I guess... well. Is the rest actually played the second
      time through? It sounds rather odd to my ear in the Finale playback to
      have the pause, and then the anacrusis, and then full-value measures. I
      have not yet seen this danced, and perhaps it will make sense to me then
      as Petite Vriens finally did when I danced it (in groups of three....
      like the music... which had been bothering me). Indeed, I only heard
      Rostiboli Gioioso for the first time at the practice session for the
      Coronation ball. It was lovely and I was so mesmerized that I couldn't
      even follow the music, and then very disappointed when it was cut from
      the ball because I wanted to hear it again and see it danced.I guess as
      a whole I'm wondering why the D section is in 12/4 as three of the parts
      are in duple beat groupings whereas only the last measure is in
      quadruple groupings. I think this is probably my confusion over meter
      signatures, especially compound meter signatures, but I'd like to
      understand it if someone can clue me in.

      Finally, and this doesn't have anything to do with Rostiboli Gioioso
      specifically though it does apply... Why 6/4? I think I'm finally
      beginning to feel this meter when Master Conrad has us doing dances (and
      finally beginning to be able to 'read' it in my halting manner of
      sight-reading), but I'm certain I'm missing some important underlying
      distinction or reasoning behind why so much of the music in our dance
      repertoire is in this meter that I've really never seen anywhere else.
      Was it just popular 'in the day'? Is it actually more common today than
      my limited experience with it? What recommends it, or what effect is it
      supposed to be evoking in the music or the dance... I'm sure it's
      subtle which is why I'm not grasping it. If anyone can help me
      understand I'd be super grateful as it's something I've been wondering
      about _often_ for over a year now.

      Thank you for taking the time to read my confusing muddle.

      // Merry

      'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre