Re: [CalontirDance] Recommended Dance Music CDs?

  • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
      I agree with all you've said and as I said... I already bought that
      track off of Itunes..... but here's the thing.. I really like it and if
      there were enough others out there who liked it as well and we had a
      decent arrangement, I'd very much like to record it _not_ using a
      computer as Mannheim Steamroller did. But it was also just an
      example. I know there are other tunes out there that are period that we
      perhaps lack instrumental recordings and have only a midi type recording
      for use at dance practices... Tsire played one for us in Jefferson
      City. It made my ears bleed but it was a fun dance. I hate comp music.

    • Catherine Dean
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
        Hi Merry,

        Part of my point was that you may not legally be able to record a new
        version of that tune--I assume it is protected by copyright by Mannheim
        Steamroller and that some sort of royalty would need to be paid.

        You could try dancing it to another tune in six, though, if you
        want (LaVolta might work, although I'm not sure about the repeat structure).

        I'm totally in favor of more instrumental recordings of period music. It's
        even better if you're willing to freely distribute them! (I know some
        musicians who do this for hard to find tracks and it's a great service to
        the dance community).

        Merry@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > wrote:
        > >
        > >> Thank you and Rowan both.
        > >>
        > >> Do we have good music for Dutchess Rosalynd's Pavane? I bought Toota
        > >> Lute on iTunes but I hate computer generated music (I've been nearly
        > >> killed by electronic Uilleann Pipes in the 'get all zenlike' display
        > >> near the candles in Walmart.... it's JUST WRONG).
        > >>
        > >> If we do I'd like to see if I could get a group of musicians together
        > at
        > >> some dance event and see if we can record several takes of it onto a
        > >> multi-track media for later mixdown.... I'd bring a mixing board and
        > >> some Audio Technica 6100s or similar and we could make a real recording
        > >> session of it. I've never done mixdown as I've always been a live sound
        > >> engineer but I expect there is someone in this varied group who has.
        > >>
        > >> There may be a few other tunes like this as well that 'need redoin'.

        Catherine E. Dean
        Historically Inspired Designs
        Handmade Jewelry for History Buffs
        http://historicallyinspired.googlepages.com

      • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
          Oh I've never done the dance :) It's the music I like :)

          And yes. If I can get people of like mind together to record I would
          absolutely distribute them CCL off a website.

          Better than doing sessions with mixdown would be to do each instrument
          at a time so there's no cross-talk and no having to start a whole new
          take if one person messes up if going for perfection. I guess doing
          that, I could even do arrangements here at home, but I have not the
          creative orchestration ability that the Subterranea folks do... I love
          what they do (I think it's them... like I say.. there are no ID2/3 tags
          on my Mp3s). By instrumentation, I mean I've never been very good at
          assigning parts and deciding what would make a good intro instrument(s)
          to build onto, when to tutti, when to feature, when to flat out solo,
          etc. Yes.. those are the basics... but I am really flabbergasted at
          people who can write creative counterpoint and harmonizations for a
          particular instrument's strengths to create a marvelous sound.

          I could put down tracks on my own from SATB recorder, mandolin,
          rudimentary percussion (I plan to have cheapie bodhran and hopefully a
          not-so cheapie dum-bek in the near future), and very likely hammered
          dulcimer (I just have to put the soundboard on, trim it, lay down bridge
          rails, cut bridges and then sink the zither pins and string and I"m
          ready to go).

          If Her Grace Aislin would consent we'd have Cello.

          I may have a go at making a crumhorn or cornemuse over the winter after
          I see if I can build a recorder body for my wife's clarinet mouthpiece.
          While she's welcome in some music pits, others have said no and I'm
          hoping I can create a hybrid that is more acceptable. I've looked over
          some of the DIY Crumhorn & Cornemuse plans and I'm wondering if I can
          adapt a practice chanter reed for GHB for a nice rich tone. I'm used to
          making these types of PVC instruments. If I get a PVC version going I
          may attempt to do two crumhorn halves joined together method out of
          wood. Sometime along the way I'm going to ask Kaz if he'd be willing
          to guide a student remotely through making a rebec. I'm actually
          looking forward to winter now that I am getting an inside workroom
          back. (Huzza!!!!)

          I could probably borrow an Allen & Heath Mixwizard (16 channels) and
          pretty much any Audio Technica mics we'd want (no 57s and 58s unless
          someone just insists). I'd probably have to resort to borrowing an ADat
          (our company doesn't have one) :( I'd love someday to have a multiple
          digital input device for a laptop.... something a little more modern and
          smaller than the rack mounted Layla type units (got to play with one for
          a while... it was a treat, but primitive))

          Speaking of 57s. We were surprised when President Clinton spoke at the
          state capital and his sound staff asked for only two 57s on a
          gang-mount. When Cheney came through in 2004 for a Q&A we talked his
          guys into letting us use Audio Technica wired and wireless mics (usually
          they won't touch wireless... too ripe for sabotage). They liked them
          so much the campaign placed an order for 12 three days later :)

        • Rowan
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
            Well you know that Crystal Ball is coming up Nov 17th!! Only a 15min drive
            from B3R into dragon territory, plenty of crash space on site or with the
            dancers/musciians here. There is always a good pit of musicaians there and
            they have their own room for practice during the day. You could bring you
            equipment and record there during the day or during the ball or both.
            Conna would be your best contact for the music pit - she has all the sheet
            music and all.
            Personally I would like to see a recording of Calontir Branle cause my
            tape/cd/mp3 copys is just about toast.

            SNIP-