Re: [CalontirDance] Recommended Dance Music CDs?

  • Catherine Dean
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
      The dance was choreographed to Toota Lute, so no I don't know of any other
      music that works with DRP

      (from Eric's page):

      The usual tune for this dance is "Toota Lute" on Mannheim Steamrollers'
      "Fresh Aire II".
      According to the proceedings of the Ansteorran Kingdom Dance Workshop
      (1990), Duchess Rondallynn's Pavan was choreographed by Rhonda Johnson and
      Denny Psalia of Atlanta, Georgia.

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Eric/DuchessRondallynnP.txt

      me again:

      Be aware that this dance is a modern choerography, and one that (apologies
      to Rhonda and Denny) has not stood the test of time as a particularly
      authentic one, at least as I have seen it taught and danced--these things do
      change over time (just ask Signy on SCA Dance about the Turkish Branle, now
      more commonly called the SCA Maltese Branle). I think a LOT of musicians
      shy away from rerecording modern music for "period" style modern
      choreographies not only because it is questionable how well they fit within
      our mission as an organization but also because the music is almost
      certainly protected by copyright and cannot be recorded freely as a period
      tune can.

      Just my two cents.

      Katherine

      On 10/11/07, 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre <
      Merry@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > // Merry
      >
      > Catherine Dean wrote:
      > > A long, lost voice of Calontir (and editor of the Letter of Dance)
      > speaks
      > > up:
      > >
      > > I like all of Rowan's suggestions.
      > >
      > > I believe that the NYRB disks are out of print, though, so a good second
      > > choice for Arbeau is the Incomplete Arbeau, also available from Eric
      > > Praetzel at the link below.
      > >
      > > I also highly recommend Mesura et Arte del Danzare, which can be had on
      > > iTunes (although is out of print), if you are at all interested in 15th
      > > century Italiand dance. It is the best music out there--high quality and
      > > very danceable.
      > >
      > > Wolgemut's cds are wonderful for listening and variously good for
      > dancing
      > > too. If I could only have one it would be Tempus Saltandi, which has
      > lots
      > > of Branles on it, but be aware that not all of the repeat structures
      > exactly
      > > fit the reconstructions being commonly done in the SCA here in the
      > states.
      > >
      > > 16th century music can be harder--you'll find some of the favorites on
      > the
      > > Musica Subterranea cds, but if you're looking to branch out there is a
      > great
      > > disk called "Il Ballarino" which is probably now out of print, and
      > another
      > > called "Homage to Amour" which can only be obtained as a tape right now
      > > (called, colloquially, the Pink Tape).
      > >
      > > I heartily support your effort to get *legitimate* copies of all of your
      > > dance music. I think this is something that everyone in the SCA needs to
      > be
      > > respectful and sensitive of. If we don't support our musicians
      > (especially
      > > the commercial ones) by buying their music, why would they bother to
      > produce
      > > more of it??
      > >
      > > Best of luck!
      > > Katherine
      > >

      > > On 10/11/07, Rowan <rowan@... <rowan%40french.toast.net>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
      > >> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html
      > >>
      > >> My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds
      > you
      > >> have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
      > >> http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4)
      > >> NewYork
      > >> Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5)
      > Dances
      > >> from the Inns of Court
      > >>
      > >> HL Rowan Houndskeeper
      > >> Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir
      > >> rowan@... <rowan%40french.toast.net> <rowan%40french.
      > toast.net>
      > >>
      > >> "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
      > >> Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

      Catherine E. Dean
      Historically Inspired Designs
      Handmade Jewelry for History Buffs
      http://historicallyinspired.googlepages.com

    • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
        I agree with all you've said and as I said... I already bought that
        track off of Itunes..... but here's the thing.. I really like it and if
        there were enough others out there who liked it as well and we had a
        decent arrangement, I'd very much like to record it _not_ using a
        computer as Mannheim Steamroller did. But it was also just an
        example. I know there are other tunes out there that are period that we
        perhaps lack instrumental recordings and have only a midi type recording
        for use at dance practices... Tsire played one for us in Jefferson
        City. It made my ears bleed but it was a fun dance. I hate comp music.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
          Hi Merry,

          Part of my point was that you may not legally be able to record a new
          version of that tune--I assume it is protected by copyright by Mannheim
          Steamroller and that some sort of royalty would need to be paid.

          You could try dancing it to another tune in six, though, if you
          want (LaVolta might work, although I'm not sure about the repeat structure).

          I'm totally in favor of more instrumental recordings of period music. It's
          even better if you're willing to freely distribute them! (I know some
          musicians who do this for hard to find tracks and it's a great service to
          the dance community).

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
            Oh I've never done the dance :) It's the music I like :)

            And yes. If I can get people of like mind together to record I would
            absolutely distribute them CCL off a website.

            Better than doing sessions with mixdown would be to do each instrument
            at a time so there's no cross-talk and no having to start a whole new
            take if one person messes up if going for perfection. I guess doing
            that, I could even do arrangements here at home, but I have not the
            creative orchestration ability that the Subterranea folks do... I love
            what they do (I think it's them... like I say.. there are no ID2/3 tags
            on my Mp3s). By instrumentation, I mean I've never been very good at
            assigning parts and deciding what would make a good intro instrument(s)
            to build onto, when to tutti, when to feature, when to flat out solo,
            etc. Yes.. those are the basics... but I am really flabbergasted at
            people who can write creative counterpoint and harmonizations for a
            particular instrument's strengths to create a marvelous sound.

            I could put down tracks on my own from SATB recorder, mandolin,
            rudimentary percussion (I plan to have cheapie bodhran and hopefully a
            not-so cheapie dum-bek in the near future), and very likely hammered
            dulcimer (I just have to put the soundboard on, trim it, lay down bridge
            rails, cut bridges and then sink the zither pins and string and I"m
            ready to go).

            If Her Grace Aislin would consent we'd have Cello.

            I may have a go at making a crumhorn or cornemuse over the winter after
            I see if I can build a recorder body for my wife's clarinet mouthpiece.
            While she's welcome in some music pits, others have said no and I'm
            hoping I can create a hybrid that is more acceptable. I've looked over
            some of the DIY Crumhorn & Cornemuse plans and I'm wondering if I can
            adapt a practice chanter reed for GHB for a nice rich tone. I'm used to
            making these types of PVC instruments. If I get a PVC version going I
            may attempt to do two crumhorn halves joined together method out of
            wood. Sometime along the way I'm going to ask Kaz if he'd be willing
            to guide a student remotely through making a rebec. I'm actually
            looking forward to winter now that I am getting an inside workroom
            back. (Huzza!!!!)

            I could probably borrow an Allen & Heath Mixwizard (16 channels) and
            pretty much any Audio Technica mics we'd want (no 57s and 58s unless
            someone just insists). I'd probably have to resort to borrowing an ADat
            (our company doesn't have one) :( I'd love someday to have a multiple
            digital input device for a laptop.... something a little more modern and
            smaller than the rack mounted Layla type units (got to play with one for
            a while... it was a treat, but primitive))

            Speaking of 57s. We were surprised when President Clinton spoke at the
            state capital and his sound staff asked for only two 57s on a
            gang-mount. When Cheney came through in 2004 for a Q&A we talked his
            guys into letting us use Audio Technica wired and wireless mics (usually
            they won't touch wireless... too ripe for sabotage). They liked them
            so much the campaign placed an order for 12 three days later :)

          • Rowan
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
              Well you know that Crystal Ball is coming up Nov 17th!! Only a 15min drive
              from B3R into dragon territory, plenty of crash space on site or with the
              dancers/musciians here. There is always a good pit of musicaians there and
              they have their own room for practice during the day. You could bring you
              equipment and record there during the day or during the ball or both.
              Conna would be your best contact for the music pit - she has all the sheet
              music and all.
              Personally I would like to see a recording of Calontir Branle cause my
              tape/cd/mp3 copys is just about toast.

              SNIP-