Re: [CalontirDance] Recommended Dance Music CDs?

  • Rowan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
      Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html

      My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds you
      have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4) NewYork
      Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5) Dances
      from the Inns of Court

      HL Rowan Houndskeeper

      From: 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre <Merry@...>
      To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:30:26 -0500
      Subject: [CalontirDance] Recommended Dance Music CDs?

      What CDs would you recommend one acquire, ranked in best/highest
      priority/most useful on down.

      So far the list that has been recommended to me is

      o Musica Subterranea - http://www.musicasub.org/contents.html

      § Album I - Musica Subterranea

      § Album II -- Cornucopia

      § Album III -- Incantare

      o DragonScale Consort - http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/CD%20Page.htm

      I believe I have the contents of most of these CDs but I really want to
      buy to pay the artist(s) (and be legal and ethical), and well.... they
      have been ripped at different normalizations, with no jitter control,
      much contains a lot of distortion, low resolution, horrible quality and
      over compression, read-head collisions, and many of them show
      considerable evidence of having been transcoded several times and of
      being recorded to disk, ripped and compressed, recorded, ripped and
      compressed, ad nauseum. Further none of them have the ID2/3 tags filled.

      How useful/popular is Wolgemut for dancing? Which titles?

      Any others?

      Thanks!

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      "Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
      Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
      Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
      Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel

    • Catherine Dean
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
        A long, lost voice of Calontir (and editor of the Letter of Dance) speaks
        up:

        I like all of Rowan's suggestions.

        I believe that the NYRB disks are out of print, though, so a good second
        choice for Arbeau is the Incomplete Arbeau, also available from Eric
        Praetzel at the link below.

        I also highly recommend Mesura et Arte del Danzare, which can be had on
        iTunes (although is out of print), if you are at all interested in 15th
        century Italiand dance. It is the best music out there--high quality and
        very danceable.

        Wolgemut's cds are wonderful for listening and variously good for dancing
        too. If I could only have one it would be Tempus Saltandi, which has lots
        of Branles on it, but be aware that not all of the repeat structures exactly
        fit the reconstructions being commonly done in the SCA here in the states.

        16th century music can be harder--you'll find some of the favorites on the
        Musica Subterranea cds, but if you're looking to branch out there is a great
        disk called "Il Ballarino" which is probably now out of print, and another
        called "Homage to Amour" which can only be obtained as a tape right now
        (called, colloquially, the Pink Tape).

        I heartily support your effort to get *legitimate* copies of all of your
        dance music. I think this is something that everyone in the SCA needs to be
        respectful and sensitive of. If we don't support our musicians (especially
        the commercial ones) by buying their music, why would they bother to produce
        more of it??

        Best of luck!
        Katherine

        On 10/11/07, Rowan <rowan@...> wrote:

        > Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
        > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html
        >
        > My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds you
        > have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
        > http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4)
        > NewYork
        > Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5) Dances
        > from the Inns of Court
        >
        > HL Rowan Houndskeeper
        > Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir
        > rowan@... <rowan%40french.toast.net>
        >
        > "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
        > Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

        Catherine E. Dean
        Historically Inspired Designs
        Handmade Jewelry for History Buffs
        http://historicallyinspired.googlepages.com

      • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
          Thank you and Rowan both.

          Do we have good music for Dutchess Rosalynd's Pavane? I bought Toota
          Lute on iTunes but I hate computer generated music (I've been nearly
          killed by electronic Uilleann Pipes in the 'get all zenlike' display
          near the candles in Walmart.... it's JUST WRONG).

          If we do I'd like to see if I could get a group of musicians together at
          some dance event and see if we can record several takes of it onto a
          multi-track media for later mixdown.... I'd bring a mixing board and
          some Audio Technica 6100s or similar and we could make a real recording
          session of it. I've never done mixdown as I've always been a live sound
          engineer but I expect there is someone in this varied group who has.

          There may be a few other tunes like this as well that 'need redoin'.

          // Merry

          Catherine Dean wrote:
          > A long, lost voice of Calontir (and editor of the Letter of Dance) speaks
          > up:
          >
          > I like all of Rowan's suggestions.
          >
          > I believe that the NYRB disks are out of print, though, so a good second
          > choice for Arbeau is the Incomplete Arbeau, also available from Eric
          > Praetzel at the link below.
          >
          > I also highly recommend Mesura et Arte del Danzare, which can be had on
          > iTunes (although is out of print), if you are at all interested in 15th
          > century Italiand dance. It is the best music out there--high quality and
          > very danceable.
          >
          > Wolgemut's cds are wonderful for listening and variously good for dancing
          > too. If I could only have one it would be Tempus Saltandi, which has lots
          > of Branles on it, but be aware that not all of the repeat structures exactly
          > fit the reconstructions being commonly done in the SCA here in the states.
          >
          > 16th century music can be harder--you'll find some of the favorites on the
          > Musica Subterranea cds, but if you're looking to branch out there is a great
          > disk called "Il Ballarino" which is probably now out of print, and another
          > called "Homage to Amour" which can only be obtained as a tape right now
          > (called, colloquially, the Pink Tape).
          >
          > I heartily support your effort to get *legitimate* copies of all of your
          > dance music. I think this is something that everyone in the SCA needs to be
          > respectful and sensitive of. If we don't support our musicians (especially
          > the commercial ones) by buying their music, why would they bother to produce
          > more of it??
          >
          > Best of luck!
          > Katherine
          >

          > On 10/11/07, Rowan <rowan@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
          >> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html
          >>
          >> My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds you
          >> have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
          >> http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4)
          >> NewYork
          >> Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5) Dances
          >> from the Inns of Court
          >>
          >> HL Rowan Houndskeeper
          >> Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir
          >> rowan@... <rowan%40french.toast.net>
          >>
          >> "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
          >> Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

          // Merry

          ----------

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
            The dance was choreographed to Toota Lute, so no I don't know of any other
            music that works with DRP

            (from Eric's page):

            The usual tune for this dance is "Toota Lute" on Mannheim Steamrollers'
            "Fresh Aire II".
            According to the proceedings of the Ansteorran Kingdom Dance Workshop
            (1990), Duchess Rondallynn's Pavan was choreographed by Rhonda Johnson and
            Denny Psalia of Atlanta, Georgia.

            http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Eric/DuchessRondallynnP.txt

            me again:

            Be aware that this dance is a modern choerography, and one that (apologies
            to Rhonda and Denny) has not stood the test of time as a particularly
            authentic one, at least as I have seen it taught and danced--these things do
            change over time (just ask Signy on SCA Dance about the Turkish Branle, now
            more commonly called the SCA Maltese Branle). I think a LOT of musicians
            shy away from rerecording modern music for "period" style modern
            choreographies not only because it is questionable how well they fit within
            our mission as an organization but also because the music is almost
            certainly protected by copyright and cannot be recorded freely as a period
            tune can.

            Just my two cents.

            Katherine

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
              I agree with all you've said and as I said... I already bought that
              track off of Itunes..... but here's the thing.. I really like it and if
              there were enough others out there who liked it as well and we had a
              decent arrangement, I'd very much like to record it _not_ using a
              computer as Mannheim Steamroller did. But it was also just an
              example. I know there are other tunes out there that are period that we
              perhaps lack instrumental recordings and have only a midi type recording
              for use at dance practices... Tsire played one for us in Jefferson
              City. It made my ears bleed but it was a fun dance. I hate comp music.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                Hi Merry,

                Part of my point was that you may not legally be able to record a new
                version of that tune--I assume it is protected by copyright by Mannheim
                Steamroller and that some sort of royalty would need to be paid.

                You could try dancing it to another tune in six, though, if you
                want (LaVolta might work, although I'm not sure about the repeat structure).

                I'm totally in favor of more instrumental recordings of period music. It's
                even better if you're willing to freely distribute them! (I know some
                musicians who do this for hard to find tracks and it's a great service to
                the dance community).

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Oh I've never done the dance :) It's the music I like :)

                  And yes. If I can get people of like mind together to record I would
                  absolutely distribute them CCL off a website.

                  Better than doing sessions with mixdown would be to do each instrument
                  at a time so there's no cross-talk and no having to start a whole new
                  take if one person messes up if going for perfection. I guess doing
                  that, I could even do arrangements here at home, but I have not the
                  creative orchestration ability that the Subterranea folks do... I love
                  what they do (I think it's them... like I say.. there are no ID2/3 tags
                  on my Mp3s). By instrumentation, I mean I've never been very good at
                  assigning parts and deciding what would make a good intro instrument(s)
                  to build onto, when to tutti, when to feature, when to flat out solo,
                  etc. Yes.. those are the basics... but I am really flabbergasted at
                  people who can write creative counterpoint and harmonizations for a
                  particular instrument's strengths to create a marvelous sound.

                  I could put down tracks on my own from SATB recorder, mandolin,
                  rudimentary percussion (I plan to have cheapie bodhran and hopefully a
                  not-so cheapie dum-bek in the near future), and very likely hammered
                  dulcimer (I just have to put the soundboard on, trim it, lay down bridge
                  rails, cut bridges and then sink the zither pins and string and I"m
                  ready to go).

                  If Her Grace Aislin would consent we'd have Cello.

                  I may have a go at making a crumhorn or cornemuse over the winter after
                  I see if I can build a recorder body for my wife's clarinet mouthpiece.
                  While she's welcome in some music pits, others have said no and I'm
                  hoping I can create a hybrid that is more acceptable. I've looked over
                  some of the DIY Crumhorn & Cornemuse plans and I'm wondering if I can
                  adapt a practice chanter reed for GHB for a nice rich tone. I'm used to
                  making these types of PVC instruments. If I get a PVC version going I
                  may attempt to do two crumhorn halves joined together method out of
                  wood. Sometime along the way I'm going to ask Kaz if he'd be willing
                  to guide a student remotely through making a rebec. I'm actually
                  looking forward to winter now that I am getting an inside workroom
                  back. (Huzza!!!!)

                  I could probably borrow an Allen & Heath Mixwizard (16 channels) and
                  pretty much any Audio Technica mics we'd want (no 57s and 58s unless
                  someone just insists). I'd probably have to resort to borrowing an ADat
                  (our company doesn't have one) :( I'd love someday to have a multiple
                  digital input device for a laptop.... something a little more modern and
                  smaller than the rack mounted Layla type units (got to play with one for
                  a while... it was a treat, but primitive))

                  Speaking of 57s. We were surprised when President Clinton spoke at the
                  state capital and his sound staff asked for only two 57s on a
                  gang-mount. When Cheney came through in 2004 for a Q&A we talked his
                  guys into letting us use Audio Technica wired and wireless mics (usually
                  they won't touch wireless... too ripe for sabotage). They liked them
                  so much the campaign placed an order for 12 three days later :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
                    Well you know that Crystal Ball is coming up Nov 17th!! Only a 15min drive
                    from B3R into dragon territory, plenty of crash space on site or with the
                    dancers/musciians here. There is always a good pit of musicaians there and
                    they have their own room for practice during the day. You could bring you
                    equipment and record there during the day or during the ball or both.
                    Conna would be your best contact for the music pit - she has all the sheet
                    music and all.
                    Personally I would like to see a recording of Calontir Branle cause my
                    tape/cd/mp3 copys is just about toast.

                    SNIP-