Recommended Dance Music CDs?

  • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
      What CDs would you recommend one acquire, ranked in best/highest
      priority/most useful on down.

      So far the list that has been recommended to me is

      o Musica Subterranea - http://www.musicasub.org/contents.html

      § Album I - Musica Subterranea

      § Album II -- Cornucopia

      § Album III -- Incantare

      o DragonScale Consort - http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/CD%20Page.htm

      I believe I have the contents of most of these CDs but I really want to
      buy to pay the artist(s) (and be legal and ethical), and well.... they
      have been ripped at different normalizations, with no jitter control,
      much contains a lot of distortion, low resolution, horrible quality and
      over compression, read-head collisions, and many of them show
      considerable evidence of having been transcoded several times and of
      being recorded to disk, ripped and compressed, recorded, ripped and
      compressed, ad nauseum. Further none of them have the ID2/3 tags filled.

      How useful/popular is Wolgemut for dancing? Which titles?

      Any others?

      Thanks!

      --

      // Merry

      ----------
      "Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
      Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
      Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
      Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel

    • Rowan
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
        Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html

        My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds you
        have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4) NewYork
        Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5) Dances
        from the Inns of Court

        HL Rowan Houndskeeper

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
          A long, lost voice of Calontir (and editor of the Letter of Dance) speaks
          up:

          I like all of Rowan's suggestions.

          I believe that the NYRB disks are out of print, though, so a good second
          choice for Arbeau is the Incomplete Arbeau, also available from Eric
          Praetzel at the link below.

          I also highly recommend Mesura et Arte del Danzare, which can be had on
          iTunes (although is out of print), if you are at all interested in 15th
          century Italiand dance. It is the best music out there--high quality and
          very danceable.

          Wolgemut's cds are wonderful for listening and variously good for dancing
          too. If I could only have one it would be Tempus Saltandi, which has lots
          of Branles on it, but be aware that not all of the repeat structures exactly
          fit the reconstructions being commonly done in the SCA here in the states.

          16th century music can be harder--you'll find some of the favorites on the
          Musica Subterranea cds, but if you're looking to branch out there is a great
          disk called "Il Ballarino" which is probably now out of print, and another
          called "Homage to Amour" which can only be obtained as a tape right now
          (called, colloquially, the Pink Tape).

          I heartily support your effort to get *legitimate* copies of all of your
          dance music. I think this is something that everyone in the SCA needs to be
          respectful and sensitive of. If we don't support our musicians (especially
          the commercial ones) by buying their music, why would they bother to produce
          more of it??

          Best of luck!
          Katherine

          On 10/11/07, Rowan <rowan@...> wrote:

          > Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
          > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html
          >
          > My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds you
          > have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
          > http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4)
          > NewYork
          > Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5) Dances
          > from the Inns of Court
          >
          > HL Rowan Houndskeeper
          > Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir
          > rowan@... <rowan%40french.toast.net>
          >
          > "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
          > Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

          Catherine E. Dean
          Historically Inspired Designs
          Handmade Jewelry for History Buffs
          http://historicallyinspired.googlepages.com

        • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
            Thank you and Rowan both.

            Do we have good music for Dutchess Rosalynd's Pavane? I bought Toota
            Lute on iTunes but I hate computer generated music (I've been nearly
            killed by electronic Uilleann Pipes in the 'get all zenlike' display
            near the candles in Walmart.... it's JUST WRONG).

            If we do I'd like to see if I could get a group of musicians together at
            some dance event and see if we can record several takes of it onto a
            multi-track media for later mixdown.... I'd bring a mixing board and
            some Audio Technica 6100s or similar and we could make a real recording
            session of it. I've never done mixdown as I've always been a live sound
            engineer but I expect there is someone in this varied group who has.

            There may be a few other tunes like this as well that 'need redoin'.

            // Merry

            Catherine Dean wrote:
            > A long, lost voice of Calontir (and editor of the Letter of Dance) speaks
            > up:
            >
            > I like all of Rowan's suggestions.
            >
            > I believe that the NYRB disks are out of print, though, so a good second
            > choice for Arbeau is the Incomplete Arbeau, also available from Eric
            > Praetzel at the link below.
            >
            > I also highly recommend Mesura et Arte del Danzare, which can be had on
            > iTunes (although is out of print), if you are at all interested in 15th
            > century Italiand dance. It is the best music out there--high quality and
            > very danceable.
            >
            > Wolgemut's cds are wonderful for listening and variously good for dancing
            > too. If I could only have one it would be Tempus Saltandi, which has lots
            > of Branles on it, but be aware that not all of the repeat structures exactly
            > fit the reconstructions being commonly done in the SCA here in the states.
            >
            > 16th century music can be harder--you'll find some of the favorites on the
            > Musica Subterranea cds, but if you're looking to branch out there is a great
            > disk called "Il Ballarino" which is probably now out of print, and another
            > called "Homage to Amour" which can only be obtained as a tape right now
            > (called, colloquially, the Pink Tape).
            >
            > I heartily support your effort to get *legitimate* copies of all of your
            > dance music. I think this is something that everyone in the SCA needs to be
            > respectful and sensitive of. If we don't support our musicians (especially
            > the commercial ones) by buying their music, why would they bother to produce
            > more of it??
            >
            > Best of luck!
            > Katherine
            >

            > On 10/11/07, Rowan <rowan@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Letter of Dance has a wonderful list of 12 most usefull dance cds:
            >> http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/lod/vol4/twelve_cds.html
            >>
            >> My personal list -in order- includes: 1) the 3 Music Subterranea cds you
            >> have listed 2) the 3 Tape of Dance cds (available
            >> http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/CD-offer.html) 3) Dragon Scale 4)
            >> NewYork
            >> Renaissance Band "Country Capers" and "Arbeau's Orchesographie" 5) Dances
            >> from the Inns of Court
            >>
            >> HL Rowan Houndskeeper
            >> Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir
            >> rowan@... <rowan%40french.toast.net>
            >>
            >> "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
            >> Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

            // Merry

            ----------

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
              The dance was choreographed to Toota Lute, so no I don't know of any other
              music that works with DRP

              (from Eric's page):

              The usual tune for this dance is "Toota Lute" on Mannheim Steamrollers'
              "Fresh Aire II".
              According to the proceedings of the Ansteorran Kingdom Dance Workshop
              (1990), Duchess Rondallynn's Pavan was choreographed by Rhonda Johnson and
              Denny Psalia of Atlanta, Georgia.

              http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/dances/Eric/DuchessRondallynnP.txt

              me again:

              Be aware that this dance is a modern choerography, and one that (apologies
              to Rhonda and Denny) has not stood the test of time as a particularly
              authentic one, at least as I have seen it taught and danced--these things do
              change over time (just ask Signy on SCA Dance about the Turkish Branle, now
              more commonly called the SCA Maltese Branle). I think a LOT of musicians
              shy away from rerecording modern music for "period" style modern
              choreographies not only because it is questionable how well they fit within
              our mission as an organization but also because the music is almost
              certainly protected by copyright and cannot be recorded freely as a period
              tune can.

              Just my two cents.

              Katherine

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                I agree with all you've said and as I said... I already bought that
                track off of Itunes..... but here's the thing.. I really like it and if
                there were enough others out there who liked it as well and we had a
                decent arrangement, I'd very much like to record it _not_ using a
                computer as Mannheim Steamroller did. But it was also just an
                example. I know there are other tunes out there that are period that we
                perhaps lack instrumental recordings and have only a midi type recording
                for use at dance practices... Tsire played one for us in Jefferson
                City. It made my ears bleed but it was a fun dance. I hate comp music.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                  Hi Merry,

                  Part of my point was that you may not legally be able to record a new
                  version of that tune--I assume it is protected by copyright by Mannheim
                  Steamroller and that some sort of royalty would need to be paid.

                  You could try dancing it to another tune in six, though, if you
                  want (LaVolta might work, although I'm not sure about the repeat structure).

                  I'm totally in favor of more instrumental recordings of period music. It's
                  even better if you're willing to freely distribute them! (I know some
                  musicians who do this for hard to find tracks and it's a great service to
                  the dance community).

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2007
                    Oh I've never done the dance :) It's the music I like :)

                    And yes. If I can get people of like mind together to record I would
                    absolutely distribute them CCL off a website.

                    Better than doing sessions with mixdown would be to do each instrument
                    at a time so there's no cross-talk and no having to start a whole new
                    take if one person messes up if going for perfection. I guess doing
                    that, I could even do arrangements here at home, but I have not the
                    creative orchestration ability that the Subterranea folks do... I love
                    what they do (I think it's them... like I say.. there are no ID2/3 tags
                    on my Mp3s). By instrumentation, I mean I've never been very good at
                    assigning parts and deciding what would make a good intro instrument(s)
                    to build onto, when to tutti, when to feature, when to flat out solo,
                    etc. Yes.. those are the basics... but I am really flabbergasted at
                    people who can write creative counterpoint and harmonizations for a
                    particular instrument's strengths to create a marvelous sound.

                    I could put down tracks on my own from SATB recorder, mandolin,
                    rudimentary percussion (I plan to have cheapie bodhran and hopefully a
                    not-so cheapie dum-bek in the near future), and very likely hammered
                    dulcimer (I just have to put the soundboard on, trim it, lay down bridge
                    rails, cut bridges and then sink the zither pins and string and I"m
                    ready to go).

                    If Her Grace Aislin would consent we'd have Cello.

                    I may have a go at making a crumhorn or cornemuse over the winter after
                    I see if I can build a recorder body for my wife's clarinet mouthpiece.
                    While she's welcome in some music pits, others have said no and I'm
                    hoping I can create a hybrid that is more acceptable. I've looked over
                    some of the DIY Crumhorn & Cornemuse plans and I'm wondering if I can
                    adapt a practice chanter reed for GHB for a nice rich tone. I'm used to
                    making these types of PVC instruments. If I get a PVC version going I
                    may attempt to do two crumhorn halves joined together method out of
                    wood. Sometime along the way I'm going to ask Kaz if he'd be willing
                    to guide a student remotely through making a rebec. I'm actually
                    looking forward to winter now that I am getting an inside workroom
                    back. (Huzza!!!!)

                    I could probably borrow an Allen & Heath Mixwizard (16 channels) and
                    pretty much any Audio Technica mics we'd want (no 57s and 58s unless
                    someone just insists). I'd probably have to resort to borrowing an ADat
                    (our company doesn't have one) :( I'd love someday to have a multiple
                    digital input device for a laptop.... something a little more modern and
                    smaller than the rack mounted Layla type units (got to play with one for
                    a while... it was a treat, but primitive))

                    Speaking of 57s. We were surprised when President Clinton spoke at the
                    state capital and his sound staff asked for only two 57s on a
                    gang-mount. When Cheney came through in 2004 for a Q&A we talked his
                    guys into letting us use Audio Technica wired and wireless mics (usually
                    they won't touch wireless... too ripe for sabotage). They liked them
                    so much the campaign placed an order for 12 three days later :)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 12, 2007
                      Well you know that Crystal Ball is coming up Nov 17th!! Only a 15min drive
                      from B3R into dragon territory, plenty of crash space on site or with the
                      dancers/musciians here. There is always a good pit of musicaians there and
                      they have their own room for practice during the day. You could bring you
                      equipment and record there during the day or during the ball or both.
                      Conna would be your best contact for the music pit - she has all the sheet
                      music and all.
                      Personally I would like to see a recording of Calontir Branle cause my
                      tape/cd/mp3 copys is just about toast.

                      SNIP-