Kemps Jeg

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23, 2007
      Kemps Jeg

      This was a fun new dance and we made it work ok last night but is very much a work in progress. To move it forward I offer the following.
      Please forward to any who you think might be interested who are not on this list - especially any who participated last night,

      First of all the music listed is 16 bars. This is for one repeat of a single man's pass. It repeats 3 times for each man in each verse (9 times overall).
      Thsts 27 repeats for the entire dance - we may have to bribe the musicians to play it :)

      Verse 1

      (8) One man lead in two women forwards and back twice. - Exactly as was done - though I'm not sure if the man should be leading towards one of the other man (i.e. the 'taunting') If the active man leads toward the inactive lady you have a line of 3 facing 3 - opposite genders facing. It also means he will be more oriented toward the woman he will turn at the end. There is no direct indication in playford so this is just conjecture either way.
      (2) Honor to one - first man honor one woman {partner?]}
      (2) Honor the other - first man honor other woman [of the 2 he lead in with] {contrary}
      (4) Turn the third - Exactly as done

      The next phrase indicates how the progression works

      (8) Lead your own with you left hand and the woman you turned,

      This indicates that women 1 and 3 are active for the second repeat and tha active man's partner is on the left (she was
      on the right for the first pass).

      It also follows that as your are turning the third woman, you keep holding right hands as you come out of the turn and
      will be standing in front of the third man (facing away from him)

      (8) and as much - this will leave the active man in front of the second man, with the third lady on his left and second lady oh his right.
      {this leaves the men progressing around the set counter clock wise}

      (16) Then as much with the other two women, turning your own - finishes off the first man's cycle ending with his own partner.

      (48) The next man as much

      (48) Then the third man as much

      Verse 2

      This verse is a little less clear, it think we almost got it right.

      (8) First man lead the women as before - to me this sounds like the full up and back twice from the first verse
      (4) Turn half around, holding both hands, and with his own as much to the other - this is not very clear. The
      'and with his own as much to the other' to me implies 2 moves. At first I thought about two hand half turns first with
      partner then woman 2. But a half turn with his partner does not put the man in a position to half turn woman 2.
      The other possibility that comes to mind is 2 half turns in a circle, each taking 2 measures. This leaves both
      ladies in their original positions and the first man facing the third lady for he turn. Again the 'and with his own
      as much to the other' phrase seem to indicate first you circle to the right then to the left (i.e. toward your own, then
      to the other.) Though this really doesn't matter.

      (4) Turn the third woman - just like the first verse
      (32) Do thus all to the rest following
      (96) and doing the like

      Verse 3

      This was essentially completely correct. I very much like giving the women the option of which way to turn and Tsire's suggestion that the women place their outside hand on their outside hip and the man's hands cross behind the women.

      (4) First man take the Women as before by the contrary hands behind, then lead them forwards and back. - if we take this as just a single up and back this leaves 12 counts for the rest
      (4) Pull one half about and kiss her - this sounds like the woman doing a half turn than a quarter, and ending up close to directly in front of the active man

      W2 M1 W1

      W1
      W2 M1

      Its would also mean that if the woman wants to turn the other way the turn would be the same distance {in keeping with the pattern of the
      other verses I would suggest the man should turn his partner first}
      (4) as much with the other woman
      (4) turn the third

      This might make the half turn and kiss a bit long (each as long as a double up and back).
      An alternative to this might be

      (8) Double up and back twice (just like in the other verses)
      (2) Pull one half about and kiss her
      (2) as much with the other woman
      (4) turn the third

      This gives a completely parallel structure to the 3 verses and not having a very lingering kiss phrase

      Those are my thoughts so have at it :)

    • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23, 2007
        How much longer must we play, we don't really have all day;
        We musicians want more pay, End This Dance!

        Can't you tell that we are bored, though we have your cash, Good Lord,
        6 more times you can't afford, End This Dance

        Violinist's fingers bleed, Rackett player splits his reed,
        Grief unending we don't need, Up The Fee!

        Dancers now have their second wind, kindly me your bare bodkin lend,
        Mercy will this hell never end?, End This Dance.

        Judging by that, Musicians are completely bribable.

        I don't have this music in my packet.. Is it something common, or is it
        something that I could notate in Finale to be at all helpful? If it is
        available, I would love a copy for our local group.

        Sauer, Michael F. wrote:

> [...]
        > doing a half turn than a quarter, and ending up close to directly in
        > front of the active man
        >
        > W2 M1 W1
        >
        > W1
        > W2 M1
        >
        > Its would also mean that if the woman wants to turn the other way the
        > turn would be the same distance {in keeping with the pattern of the
        > other verses I would suggest the man should turn his partner first}
        > (4) as much with the other woman
        > (4) turn the third
        >
        > This might make the half turn and kiss a bit long (each as long as a
        > double up and back).
        > An alternative to this might be
        >
        > (8) Double up and back twice (just like in the other verses)
        > (2) Pull one half about and kiss her
        > (2) as much with the other woman
        > (4) turn the third
        >
        > This gives a completely parallel structure to the 3 verses and not

        ----------
        "Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
        Shire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at Columbia
        Formerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutre
        Mundanely known as Christian M. Cepel

      • Evelyn Alden
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
          On 9/23/07, 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre <
          Merry@...> wrote:

          > I don't have this music in my packet.. Is it something common, or is it
          > something that I could notate in Finale to be at all helpful? If it is
          > available, I would love a copy for our local group.

          http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music.html
          for a pdf and midi arrangement

          http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Mock-Hobby-Horse/
          for realaudio

          and for the original
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/

          It's not commonly performed as a dance in the SCA, but the tune seems to pop
          up in a lot of collections. I think the name appeals.

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
            I have a NoteWorthy workup of it and a midi file that I can send you from home. The tune is from Playford's English Dancing Master (1651).
            According to the musicians who played it at the Courtly Love event, it's fairly catchy.

            Tsire

            To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: Merry@...: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:37:00 -0500Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Kemps Jeg

            How much longer must we play, we don't really have all day;We musicians want more pay, End This Dance!Can't you tell that we are bored, though we have your cash, Good Lord,6 more times you can't afford, End This DanceViolinist's fingers bleed, Rackett player splits his reed,Grief unending we don't need, Up The Fee!Dancers now have their second wind, kindly me your bare bodkin lend,Mercy will this hell never end?, End This Dance.Judging by that, Musicians are completely bribable.I don't have this music in my packet.. Is it something common, or is it something that I could notate in Finale to be at all helpful? If it is available, I would love a copy for our local group.Sauer, Michael F. wrote:>> Kemps Jeg>> This was a fun new dance and we made it work ok last night but is very > much a work in progress. To move it forward I offer the following.> Please forward to any who you think might be interested who are not on > this list - especially any who participated last night,>> First of all the music listed is 16 bars. This is for one repeat of a > single man's pass. It repeats 3 times for each man in each verse (9 > times overall).> Thsts 27 repeats for the entire dance - we may have to bribe the > musicians to play it :)>> Verse 1>> (8) One man lead in two women forwards and back twice. - Exactly as > was done - though I'm not sure if the man should be leading towards > one of the other man (i.e. the 'taunting') If the active man leads > toward the inactive lady you have a line of 3 facing 3 - opposite > genders facing. It also means he will be more oriented toward the > woman he will turn at the end. There is no direct indication in > playford so this is just conjecture either way.> (2) Honor to one - first man honor one woman {partner?]}> (2) Honor the other - first man honor other woman [of the 2 he lead in > with] {contrary}> (4) Turn the third - Exactly as done>> The next phrase indicates how the progression works>> (8) Lead your own with you left hand and the woman you turned,>> This indicates that women 1 and 3 are active for the second repeat and > tha active man's partner is on the left (she was> on the right for the first pass).>> It also follows that as your are turning the third woman, you keep > holding right hands as you come out of the turn and> will be standing in front of the third man (facing away from him)>> (8) and as much - this will leave the active man in front of the > second man, with the third lady on his left and second lady oh his right.> {this leaves the men progressing around the set counter clock wise}>> (16) Then as much with the other two women, turning your own - > finishes off the first man's cycle ending with his own partner.>> (48) The next man as much>> (48) Then the third man as much>> Verse 2>> This verse is a little less clear, it think we almost got it right.>> (8) First man lead the women as before - to me this sounds like the > full up and back twice from the first verse> (4) Turn half around, holding both hands, and with his own as much to > the other - this is not very clear. The> 'and with his own as much to the other' to me implies 2 moves. At > first I thought about two hand half turns first with> partner then woman 2. But a half turn with his partner does not put > the man in a position to half turn woman 2.> The other possibility that comes to mind is 2 half turns in a circle, > each taking 2 measures. This leaves both> ladies in their original positions and the first man facing the third > lady for he turn. Again the 'and with his own> as much to the other' phrase seem to indicate first you circle to the > right then to the left (i.e. toward your own, then> to the other.) Though this really doesn't matter.>> (4) Turn the third woman - just like the first verse> (32) Do thus all to the rest following> (96) and doing the like>> Verse 3>> This was essentially completely correct. I very much like giving the > women the option of which way to turn and Tsire's suggestion that the > women place their outside hand on their outside hip and the man's > hands cross behind the women.>> (4) First man take the Women as before by the contrary hands behind, > then lead them forwards and back. - if we take this as just a single > up and back this leaves 12 counts for the rest> (4) Pull one half about and kiss her - this sounds like the woman > doing a half turn than a quarter, and ending up close to directly in > front of the active man>> W2 M1 W1>> W1> W2 M1>> Its would also mean that if the woman wants to turn the other way the > turn would be the same distance {in keeping with the pattern of the> other verses I would suggest the man should turn his partner first}> (4) as much with the other woman> (4) turn the third>> This might make the half turn and kiss a bit long (each as long as a > double up and back).> An alternative to this might be>> (8) Double up and back twice (just like in the other verses)> (2) Pull one half about and kiss her> (2) as much with the other woman> (4) turn the third>> This gives a completely parallel structure to the 3 verses and not > having a very lingering kiss phrase>> Those are my thoughts so have at it :)>> Conrad>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>> -- // Merry----------"Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder LutreShire of Standing Stones, University of Missouri at ColumbiaFormerly known as Philippe Sebastian LeLutreMundanely known as Christian M. Cepelhttp://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
              Thank you.!

              Evelyn Alden wrote:

              > On 9/23/07, 'Merry' Tirloghe Mirywoder Lutre <
              > Merry@...
              > <mailto:Merry%40shireofthestandingstones.org>> wrote:
              >
              > > I don't have this music in my packet.. Is it something common, or is it
              > > something that I could notate in Finale to be at all helpful? If it is
              > > available, I would love a copy for our local group.
              >
              > http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music.html
              > <http://crab.rutgers.edu/%7Epbutler/music.html>
              > for a pdf and midi arrangement
              >
              > http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Mock-Hobby-Horse/
              > <http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Mock-Hobby-Horse/>
              > for realaudio
              >
              > and for the original
              > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/
              > <http://www.pbm.com/%7Elindahl/playford_1651/>
              >
              > It's not commonly performed as a dance in the SCA, but the tune seems
              > to pop
              > up in a lot of collections. I think the name appeals.
              >
              > katriana

              // Merry

              ----------

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
                That'd be great. Will you be teaching this one tonight?

                I think there was a time that you said you could demonstrate how the
                lyric I just included really does fit the meter of Hole in the Wall :)
                I'm still hoping to hear it done as thought I think I've come close a
                few times, I never can get through it w/o having to cram a syllable or
                two here and there.

                Thanks!

                Tsire Tuzevo wrote:

> [...]
                > might be>> (8) Double up and back twice (just like in the other
                > verses)> (2) Pull one half about and kiss her> (2) as much with the
                > other woman> (4) turn the third>> This gives a completely parallel
                > structure to the 3 verses and not > having a very lingering kiss
                > phrase>> Those are my thoughts so have at it :)>> Conrad>> [Non-text
                > portions of this message have been removed]>> -- //
                > Merry----------"Merry" Tirloghe Mirywoder LutreShire of Standing
                > Stones, University of Missouri at ColumbiaFormerly known as Philippe
                > Sebastian LeLutreMundanely known as Christian M.
                > Cepelhttp://Thistledowne.org/ <Cepelhttp://Thistledowne.org/>
                > http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/
                > <http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/>'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized
                > Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' +
                > 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'[Non-text portions of this message

                // Merry

                ----------

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 24, 2007
                  I won't hit you with Kemp's tonight because I'm not satisfied with the reconstruction yet. We're still doing the group kibbutz-what-if-a-thon on it. Once it settles down into and becomes smooth, I'll be sure to include it in my English for 6 classes.

                  I'm not sure if I'm the one who said that about Hole in the Wall since I usually treat that dance like a plague infested commoner. But I could take a look at it for laughs.

                  TsireTo: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: Merry@...: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:40:21 -0500Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Kemps Jeg

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=141657/grpspId=1705126283/ms
                    gId=889/stime=1190573494/nc1=3848627/nc2=4025291/nc3=4725795> I had a
                    spontaneous brainstorm about "and his own as much with the other"
                    phrase.

                    What if the 3 active people do a half circle (just as its being done) -
                    but in 4 not 8; then the 2 active ladies
                    do another half turn with the next 4. Then the active lord does his
                    normal turn with the inactive lady in 8.

                    This gets all the ladies back to their start position.

                    just a random thought

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 13, 2008
                      On behalf of Emelye is this missive made:

                      Calling all musicians!If you are interested in playing at the Coronation Ball (3/22/08 - Carthage, MO) in honor of Her Royal Highness Isabeau, please email me and I will email you a copy of the music. Thanks. Lady Emelye Tayteboltb4@...
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 19 1:10 PM
                        If you agreed to dance with HRH into court this weekend please remember that we will be meeting at 8:30 am to review and prep. Please be on site and ready to spend 15-20 minutes on this at that time. I appreciate it greatly.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 20 10:36 PM
                          Does that mean the musicians can skive off and sleep in?

                          Poor dancers.

                          Tsire Tuzevo wrote:
                          > If you agreed to dance with HRH into court this weekend please remember that we will be meeting at 8:30 am to review and prep. Please be on site and ready to spend 15-20 minutes on this at that time. I appreciate it greatly.

                          // Merry

                          ----------
                          'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 21 7:34 AM
                            Merry,

                            I don't know what the plan is for the musicians. While I believe that all those involved in morning court have some sort of early AM meeting, I am only responsible for the dancing contingent and don't have firm info on anyone else.

                            Are you planning on playing for the ball?
                            Tsire

                            To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: Merry@...: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:36:07 -0500Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Coronation Dancers

                            Does that mean the musicians can skive off and sleep in?Poor dancers.Tsire Tuzevo wrote:> If you agreed to dance with HRH into court this weekend please remember that we will be meeting at 8:30 am to review and prep. Please be on site and ready to spend 15-20 minutes on this at that time. I appreciate it greatly. > > Tsire> > > __________________________________________________________> Do more with your photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery.> http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_photos_022008>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>> -- // Merry----------'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder LutreShire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutreChristian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MOhttp://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'

                          • Conna
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 21 8:29 AM
                              Just to clarify, court music will be handled by a small group of
                              musicians, just to save on space (and sanity). This group is already
                              organized and ready to go, and Emelye will be leading us.

                              The ball in the evening will have an open pit, and all musicians are
                              welcome. It should be a party!

                              Hope to see everyone at the ball!
                              Conna

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 21 11:21 AM
                                I've been practicing the set list, but don't know that I have everything
                                up to speed, but I'd like to join in where I am able.

                                Out of curiosity, when is the ball 'slated' to be? At their pleasure
                                I'm certain, but is it before evening court, after/before feast, after
                                feast? My wife and I didn't find out we were going to be able to make
                                it until late and so missed the chance to buy feast... also, all the
                                dishes have gluten and my wife has celiac disease, so we may sneak away
                                and have dinner with a couple of friends in town, if we can do that and
                                not miss the ball.

                                Anyone know of good Japanese in Joplin?

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 21 11:49 AM
                                  No idea of food in Carthage or Joplin but I do know that the ball is slated for 'after feast' I won't be feasting either but will be MC-ing the ball. I hope, once on site, to get in touch with the feast steward and figure out the timing of all of that stuff.

                                  Tsire

                                  To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: Merry@...: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:21:51 -0500Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Coronation Dancers

                                  I've been practicing the set list, but don't know that I have everything up to speed, but I'd like to join in where I am able.Out of curiosity, when is the ball 'slated' to be? At their pleasure I'm certain, but is it before evening court, after/before feast, after feast? My wife and I didn't find out we were going to be able to make it until late and so missed the chance to buy feast... also, all the dishes have gluten and my wife has celiac disease, so we may sneak away and have dinner with a couple of friends in town, if we can do that and not miss the ball.Anyone know of good Japanese in Joplin?Tsire Tuzevo wrote:> Merry,> > I don't know what the plan is for the musicians. While I believe that all those involved in morning court have some sort of early AM meeting, I am only responsible for the dancing contingent and don't have firm info on anyone else. > > Are you planning on playing for the ball?> Tsire>>> To: CalontirDance@yahoogroups.comFrom: Merry@...: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:36:07 -0500Subject: Re: [CalontirDance] Coronation Dancers>>>>> Does that mean the musicians can skive off and sleep in?Poor dancers.Tsire Tuzevo wrote:> If you agreed to dance with HRH into court this weekend please remember that we will be meeting at 8:30 am to review and prep. Please be on site and ready to spend 15-20 minutes on this at that time. I appreciate it greatly. > > Tsire> > > __________________________________________________________> Do more with your photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery.> http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_photos_022008>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>> -- // Merry----------'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder LutreShire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutreChristian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MOhttp://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch' >>>>>>> __________________________________________________________> Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes.> http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>> ------------------------------------>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>> -- // Merry----------'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder LutreShire of Standing Stones; Formerly: Philippe Sebastian LeLutreChristian M. Cepel --- 573.999.2370 --- Columbia, MOhttp://Thistledowne.org/ http://ShireOfStandingStones.org/ICQ:12384980 YIM/AOL:Bramblethorne MSN:Merry@ShireOfS.....'Toirdhealbhach' anglicized Tirloughe (1576), modernly 'Turlough',pronounced 'TIR' or 'TUR' + 'low', 'logh', 'lock', or 'loch'