RE: [CalontirDance] RUSH

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 6:49 AM
      > Conrad, the only dances I'm not comfortable playing:
      > Whirligig - I can play until the dancing's done, but the
      > music is weird and
      > I've never been able to watch the dance and figure out what's going on

      Well we should fix that, the tape I have doesn't fit the pattern in
      playford!

      > Angus Reel - I don't have music, and have never heard it.
      > Mertiritza - same here. I understand from someone on the folkdance
      > newsgroup that it's Greek?
      Yep something like that

      > Ivy Allemande - ???Music???

      That and the last two are from meridies :)

      > L'Escargot and tangle bransle just go to music the musicians
      > can stand as I
      > understand it (and are darn near the same dance?)
      > Il Piantone also goes to anything.
      > I've got music for Ly Ben Distonys and Pizocara but we should
      > make sure the
      > repeats are the same as what we'll do at Lilies (I've played them with
      > different repeats)

      Yep, but that one should be easy - the dance is simple and I'd be surprised
      if the music is too complicated.

      How about Ballo del Fiore?

      Even in 4 hours I can't imagine well get through all the Ball dances let
      alone
      most of the requests :)

      Enclosed is a general Intro/Background class I've worked up.
      I taught a quick 1 hour version at a Stevens College dance history class.
      Its more of an overview of the various times and styles with a little less
      emphasis on actual dancing than I normally do. Its a html file.

      Conrad
    • Katriana
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7 1:11 PM
        >How about Ballo del Fiore?
        This and Candlestick bransle are similar dances and the music is similar
        too. Yep, I can play it (and take brief naps while playing for large
        groups) :)

        >Even in 4 hours I can't imagine well get through all the Ball dances let
        >alone most of the requests :)
        Nope, that's why I thought we'd group them by types. If people do a group
        of branles, they will at least walk out with the knowledge that branles are
        simple dances, usually in a circle with double and single left and rights.
        Same principle with Elizabethan-style English Country.

        >Enclosed is a general Intro/Background class I've worked up.
        >I taught a quick 1 hour version at a Stevens College dance history class.
        >Its more of an overview of the various times and styles with a little less
        >emphasis on actual dancing than I normally do. Its a html file.

        And most of the big objections I hear is that I talk more than people
        expect. I used to try to have a theory class, then a lab class, but even
        that confused people.

        We should probably get the paperwork for our respective classes as link
        to's from your European Dance page off the main Calontir webpage.