Re: [CalontirDance] Re: [CalontirBards] What's the story on Al Cafrin - How much arranging makes a new arrangement? - Sent to wrong list

  • Christian M. Cepel
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8 4:56 PM
      Carol O'Connell wrote:
      > And the three arrangements (Jenny, War, and Hole) are all from Avatar's
      > book. Seriously, put this book on your birthday wish list. ;)

      Splendid. Thank you for your answers. I looked at the
      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=musdi&fileName=219/musdi219.db&recNum=61
      original last night and found it to be different than Al's (thought I
      didn't look too deeply once I found differences as I was just confirming
      that it was indeed an 'arrangement' and not a 'transcription', but of
      course the music says that on on transcriptions he says 'transcription' :)

      I think it would indeed be a worthwhile investment. (plus it will help
      endear me to him in case I wanna ask him for permission to do stuff with
      it *conniving look* *grin*).

      Based on what you said above, three people have put their names to
      Avatar's arrangements. Is that not odd, or is it common?
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9 6:22 AM
        Rock on, Music Goddess! And I had no idea bout the LOC link. Thanks! That's
        very handy.

        So in Katriana's link to the Arbeau page in the LOC, the Superius line
        starts on a G, just like on all the published pieces. (You determine the "C"
        note by the line that goes through the boxy-looking clef mark at the far
        left. And the C with the vertical line is just the time signature thingy.)

        Thanks, Katriana!

        Conna

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9 6:31 AM
          On 2/8/07 6:56 PM, "Christian M. Cepel" <christian@...> wrote:
          > <Giant snip>
          >
          > Based on what you said above, three people have put their names to
          > Avatar's arrangements. Is that not odd, or is it common?

          I thought they all had their little tweaks and stuff. Right? And who knows
          which came first. Once upon a time, Avatar did tell me that these early
          published pieces contain a lot of musical errors (probably typesetting
          mistakes). Musicologists have all pretty much agreed on the typos, and they
          fix them in modern editions. Maybe this explains why you¹re finding three
          that are identical, but that don¹t quite match the original? They¹ve all
          ³stolen² from Arbeau and fixed the typos?

          I have to confess that this is not my field at all, and I¹m completely
          lacking in the patience to sit and compare each version against the other. I
          just wanna play them! ;) But Katriana knows all about this stuff, thank
          goodness!

          Cheers!