Re: Belle Qui

  • Katriana
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
      I'm not going to touch the copyright questions, except to point out that
      anything published before 1923 is free of copyright. If you follow the
      link I gave in my earlier email (on the camerata list) there is a photo
      reproduction of Orchesography

      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=musdi&fileName=219/musdi219.db&recNum=61

      which dates from 1589. The top line is the drum beat and the next four
      lines are the melody, "alto" tenor and bass. The bar line that goes
      through the C clef is G (if I remember correctly). I believe you will
      find that most modern versions use Arbeau as a starting point (which is
      what I was recommending to you) and then "tweak" the tune if they feel
      it necessary. Doing your own transcription off the original should be
      completely free for you to use. The English words I gave you were
      transcribed (not translated) from the 1948 Mary Stewart Evans
      translation, republished by Dover.

      http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/dihtml/dicatlg.html
      has a list of many dance books available at the Library of Congress
      online, you might also look at the English Dancing Master by John
      Playford (well, compiled by John Playford), it is the source of most of
      the English Country Dances we do in the Society.

      katriana
    • Christian M. Cepel
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
        Carol O'Connell wrote:
        > And the three arrangements (Jenny, War, and Hole) are all from Avatar's
        > book. Seriously, put this book on your birthday wish list. ;)

        Splendid. Thank you for your answers. I looked at the
        http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=musdi&fileName=219/musdi219.db&recNum=61
        original last night and found it to be different than Al's (thought I
        didn't look too deeply once I found differences as I was just confirming
        that it was indeed an 'arrangement' and not a 'transcription', but of
        course the music says that on on transcriptions he says 'transcription' :)

        I think it would indeed be a worthwhile investment. (plus it will help
        endear me to him in case I wanna ask him for permission to do stuff with
        it *conniving look* *grin*).

        Based on what you said above, three people have put their names to
        Avatar's arrangements. Is that not odd, or is it common?
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2007
          Rock on, Music Goddess! And I had no idea bout the LOC link. Thanks! That's
          very handy.

          So in Katriana's link to the Arbeau page in the LOC, the Superius line
          starts on a G, just like on all the published pieces. (You determine the "C"
          note by the line that goes through the boxy-looking clef mark at the far
          left. And the C with the vertical line is just the time signature thingy.)

          Thanks, Katriana!

          Conna

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2007
            On 2/8/07 6:56 PM, "Christian M. Cepel" <christian@...> wrote:
            > <Giant snip>
            >
            > Based on what you said above, three people have put their names to
            > Avatar's arrangements. Is that not odd, or is it common?

            I thought they all had their little tweaks and stuff. Right? And who knows
            which came first. Once upon a time, Avatar did tell me that these early
            published pieces contain a lot of musical errors (probably typesetting
            mistakes). Musicologists have all pretty much agreed on the typos, and they
            fix them in modern editions. Maybe this explains why you¹re finding three
            that are identical, but that don¹t quite match the original? They¹ve all
            ³stolen² from Arbeau and fixed the typos?

            I have to confess that this is not my field at all, and I¹m completely
            lacking in the patience to sit and compare each version against the other. I
            just wanna play them! ;) But Katriana knows all about this stuff, thank
            goodness!

            Cheers!